• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a Precision Magnum Long Range Rifle

Wreck'Em Tech

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
So currently I have a 6.5 Creedmore Ruger Precision and really enjoy the rifle. I have a Minox ZP5 on top of it(thanks to Euro Optics 50% off) and am looking to SLOWLY build a new precision rifle. At first I thought I would start with a Remington 700 or Tikka action, but after reading a few threads here I realized that by the time I get done with those actions, I'm probably better off with a better action to begin with.

My plans are to get the parts over a year span, and I don't mind waiting to save up if it means I get the rifle that can hit targets reliably in ultimate long range situations. Since I am taking my time with this, I can afford to buy expensive actions/ barrels, but I want quality parts.

I know this may be broad, but since I have a long time to plan, I figured I would start this way.

So what is the question you are asking?
Great point. I am looking for recommendations on where to start. I have never done significant research on barreled actions and custom builds. I have always picked up a gun in store and minimally upgraded it. Where should I start?

I have shot out to 1000 yards now. I don't think I will ever get to 2 miles, so something that can get me to a mile with confidence and may have the potential for longer would be perfect.
My new 7 Saum does a mile pretty damn easily.
300PRC is another great option.

Figure out your goals. Choose a caliber, or at least a family of calibers. Find an action that will work with chosen caliber. Decide on bottom metal. After that, barrels, stocks, scope, etc. are easy.

Bring your big ol barrel of cash.

Figure out your goals. Choose a caliber, or at least a family of calibers. Find an action that will work with chosen caliber. Decide on bottom metal. After that, barrels, stocks, scope, etc. are easy.

Bring your big ol barrel of cash.
Let's say I was looking at 338Lapua, 300 PRC, and 300 win mag(unless there are better options). what action would you suggest researching?

Lapua bolt face is gonna cost you, if you stick with 300 PRC, 30 Sherman Magnum, or 300 Win Mag you can get a nice custom action in the $800 range from APR, Kelbly, etc.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Lapua bolt face is gonna cost you, if you stick with 300 PRC, 30 Sherman Magnum, or 300 Win Mag you can get a nice custom action in the $800 range from APR, Kelbly, etc.
I really appreciate the recommendation. And that sets me up to start the research on this actions. Any of them that stand out to you above others?

might have missed it but what is the budget?

spend $ on a few classes. 1000 yards + is a different animal

Since I will be spending it over a year, the budget can be quiet high($5-8,000 for just the rifle) but I am looking to piece it 1k-2k at a time. However brand name recognition appearances aren't that important to me. Quality and functionality are more important.

You can eliminate tikka from the equation if wanting to go with a LA magnum round. Very coal limited.

You can eliminate tikka from the equation if wanting to go with a LA magnum round. Very coal limited.
Good point. Yes, I think I will be getting a custom action now based on all the recommendations. What are your thoughts on options?

For the builds I've done, cutting weight is what really starts to get expensive. If weight isn't a huge deal, I'd look into the following:

Actions:
  • Bighorn Origin ~$825
  • Gunwerks GRB ~$850
  • APR Hunter or G2 ~$825 - $850
Steel Barrel (bartlein, benchmark, proof, other, other, other) ~$350

Trigger (Timney 510 or Trigger Tech Primary) ~$120

Stock - you can spend a ton of money here. KRG Bravo is great bang for your buck. I prefer traditional style stock and primarily buy Manners. If you prefer a chassis, there's a ton of options there too.

Good point. Yes, I think I will be getting a custom action now based on all the recommendations. What are your thoughts on options?

I’m definitely not the best guy to ask, or I’d give you answers. Just stating what I know based on tikka and magnums.

hate to say it but with that budget id buy a AI and not look back

i stopped buying/making customs and went the AI route..best thing i did for ME

pick up a AXMC from the Firearms Buy sell, get the barrel you want and your shooting

but if you really want a "custom" feel

Wait for the Hoplite Arms systems a hide member Theis is coming out with, I am.

his systems (from the thread) are capable of higher pressures meaning more velocity..better at distance

good luck..this is the fun part

Reactions: Long Range 338
So currently I have a 6.5 Creedmore Ruger Precision and really enjoy the rifle.

I know this may be broad, but since I have a long time to plan, I figured I would start this way.

Why not just buy a Magnum RPR and start figuring out what you don't know now?

Take that experience and build your dream gun. Or maybe you'll find there isn't much more you need.

I bought a 338 RPR last year and rebarreled it in 300 Norma. Great gun. It was $1530 delivered to my FFL.

pick up a AXMC from the Firearms Buy sell, get the barrel you want and your shooting

his systems (from the thread) are capable of higher pressures meaning more velocity..better at distance

If the AI is better than almost any custom rifle, I am completely ok with just not spending any money on the build until I can get an AI. Would that be a more practical approach?

Why not just buy a Magnum RPR and start figuring out what you don't know now?

Take that experience and build your dream gun. Or maybe you'll find there isn't much more you need.

I bought a 338 RPR last year and rebarreled it in 300 Norma. Great gun. It was $1530 delivered to my FFL.
I have given your idea a lot of thought in the past, but for some reason, that route doesn't sound exciting. However if I come across a deal between now and when I can get this done, I will definitely be taking it for sure. Which Caliber did you end up going with?

1) A nice barreled action + brake
2) A nice trigger (1 or 2 stage)
3) A chassis or stock of your liking + mags
4) Scope + rings

Reactions: FLhog

^^^^^^ This is the ticket. If you have an idea for a dedicated rifle/caliber say long range lightweight hunting rifle or something similar then a custom action setup makes sense. If your plans/needs/caliber may change in the future the AXMC is an amazing platform with a ridiculous amount of flexibility and support. You could decide 338LM today and go 300NM tomorrow changing nothing but the barrel. Or you could do 300PRC/300WM/7mm300WM/whatever and change bolt and barrel. Or you can decide you want to shoot short action for practice and do the same thing by adding the mag adapter/bolt/barrel. You buy one platform, one high end scope, and you can shoot from one extreme to the other.

Any recommendations on some of the better barrelled actions?

There are a bunch. Each one of those areas is all about your preference. Almost any aftermarket custom action and barrel is high quality. It's hard to go wrong.

Do you want any special features in an action? Aside from long action .

Ease to swap barrels?
Interchangeable bolts faces?
60° Bolt throw?

I've actually had my eye on Ultimatum deadline with IBI barrel.

If the AI is better than almost any custom rifle, I am completely ok with just not spending any money on the build until I can get an AI. Would that be a more practical approach?

it really is in the eye of the beholder

if you want a 5oz trigger
if you want a carbon fiber bag riding bench rest stock
if you want a certain name (we are all name whores lol)
if you dont like pistol grips
single stage vs two stage trigger

AI is a one size fits all system, but it does everything a custom can do with factory support and parts you can buy online and get UPS to your house next day air. i dont know many if any can shoot the difference (if there is any) between a factory AI and custom at long range.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
As mentioned above. Buy a quality factory rifle. AI, DTA, MRAD, etc if you want a high end buy once rifle.
Buying an RPR in 338 is really not a bad idea.
I know they aren’t as cool, and won’t get as many comments from the fudds at the range ( or online ) but they do seem to work far better than their price would imply.

You could build it yourself exactly how you want it IF you know exactly what you want or get a AI or one of the upcoming Hoplite rifles.

shooting 338 gets pretty spendy quite fast but the 7mm and 300’s aren’t bad.

338 can get expensive.

If I had $5k+ to spend, I would get something modular like a Desert tech and shoot multiple calibers.

As much as I would like a 338 I know it wouldnt get used enough to justify a dedicated rifle and scope setup.

I have given your idea a lot of thought in the past, but for some reason, that route doesn't sound exciting. However if I come across a deal between now and when I can get this done, I will definitely be taking it for sure. Which Caliber did you end up going with?

Bought the 338, but never fired it. Rebarreled it to 300 Norma using a 1:8 32" Bartlein.

RPR300Nsmall.JPG

I've been doing this for years and am still constantly finding new things to test. This one now has a 7-35 ATACR and an F class style bipod. I have 3 other ELR guns built on Savage actions in XLR chassis. Mostly they're just mules to test cartridges, bullets, and twist rates. Between your tastes changing as you move up the learning curve and the rate the industry is advancing, if you take a year to build a gun, you'll wish you started in another direction before you're done. I put a lot of work into the Savage setups, the RPR is pretty much change the barrel and go. My dream gun is a Surgeon XL in an AI chassis. A buddy has one in the same caliber as this RPR and it doesn't extract as well as the RPR. Talk about a buzz kill.

How do you like that set up? Anything you would do differently?

I like it a lot, Josh at PVA did it for me and it was worth the wait. I’ve only had it to 300y so far and it’ll keep 5 rounds inside 3” without issue. Being my first magnum I’m learning a lot coming from 308/6.5CM’s.

As far as doing things differently, no! I used a Bergara HMR action because I got it for a good price and I don’t like Remington and didn’t want to spring for a full custom action (but they’re a great option).

338 can get expensive.

If I had $5k+ to spend, I would get something modular like a Desert tech and shoot multiple calibers.

As much as I would like a 338 I know it wouldnt get used enough to justify a dedicated rifle and scope setup.

As a side note.
I bought a DTA in 308 about 6 months ago.
Other than the compactness I wouldn’t do it again.
Shot it twice.
No where near the same league as my AI’s
Smoothness, magazines, fit, finish, trigger...you name it.

As a side note.
I bought a DTA in 308 about 6 months ago.
Other than the compactness I wouldn’t do it again.
Shot it twice.
No where near the same league as my AI’s
Smoothness, magazines, fit, finish, trigger...you name it.

I've heard that before. Never had the pleasure of shooting either.

Is the AI modular?

My all time favorite is the old Surgeon XL action, it's a heavy beast, has integral 30 moa rail and lug, and a flat bottom which makes a solid bedding base. Takes a 1.35" barrel shank which provides a heavy rifle, that and a huge brake translates into one soft shooting rifle. Mine's 24lbs with a S&B on top.

Sounds like you can afford to replace barrels as needed but I prefer to get as much barrel life as possible. 300PRC is a good one, it's very close to my wildcat 30-375R which I had great success with and it lasted 1500 rounds.

The F-class guys are getting top accuracy out of 300WSM and 215gr Bergers. Other than wind drift, low ES helps the hit ratio at ELR distances. It's a toss up as to which one I do next time between 300WSM or 300PRC.

If it hasn't already been asked- are you right handed or left? Your options are reduced a bit if you're LH.

300PRC

AI. Hoplite. or custom and that's up to what you want. Mainly in stock/chassis department

Desert Tech, AI, MRAD. I love my Desert Tech, but the bullpup isn't for everyone, but there's lots of good deals on the SRS A1 as they phase in the A2. Have NEVER heard anyone complain about their AI. Have heard differing opinions on the MRAD.

If you can behind any of them, that's the best bet. What works for someone else, doesn't always work for you. Sounds like you have time to figure it out though. Would recommend going to a match and seeing what they're using, most of the people there will let you get behind there setups to see.

Start looking through all the scopes you can too, everybody's eyes see them different.

Good luck!

Hi,

So I have been busy with the guys over at Blackwater Ammunition to return to SH and have some catching up to do, lol...

@2aBaCa
I apologize for the delay in replying to your question directly after @b6graham tagged me into this thread. I was not watching or reading this thread until then and never seen your question.

Here is my current/ongoing Hoplite Arms thread here on SH... https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hoplite-arms.6953294/
Here is our website (In progress) www.hoplitearms.com

If you have any questions please feel free to post them in the thread, PM or email me.

Sincerely,
Theis

I'm monitoring this thread because I have the same question and don't want to start another.

Can I ask, what are the acronyms/terms above? I see somebody already asked about Hoplite. What are AI? and AXMC? (I did figure out what ME stands for;)

Reactions: brianf
I'm monitoring this thread because I have the same question and don't want to start another.

Can I ask, what are the acronyms/terms above? I see somebody already asked about Hoplite. What are AI? and AXMC? (I did figure out what ME stands for;)

AI = Accuracy International. Some would consider the gold standard for a factory rifle.
AXMC is a rifle model they offer.

Reactions: brianf

Warning: Reading this thread will make you spend lots of money

Warning: Reading this thread will make you spend lots of money

And how! I was hoping building my own would help save money. But there are so many better choices! Then better - might as well. Then better - yes, while I'm at it. Then better - well, as long as I've gone this far!

Just reading this thread so I'm late to the game. Here are my thoughts:

- I thought I knew a decent amount about rifle components until I had my first rifle custom built, and kitted all the parts myself. You will learn A LOT by putting together your own build.

- When I've bought houses during my lifetime, I felt most at home with those that I did renovations on. Similar thing with rifles. When I buy X-brand rifle, it is an X-brand rifle. When I build a rifle, it is mine all the way around. This may just be one of my idiosyncrasies, but I don't think I'm alone in this.

I think the choices you narrowed down to were 338LM, 300 PRC and 300 WM. My opinions on the three.

338 Pros:
- Big, heavy bullets
- Big thumper that will reach way out and touch something (not in a nice way).
- Lapua brass (obviously)
- Big, heavy bullets (worth saying twice)

338 Cons:
- Pretty expensive to shoot (in all components: brass, powder, bullets - really expensive if you're buying ammo)
- Good for a mile, but a little overkill. Either of the 300s will do that.
- Big everything else, so big bolt face too.

300 PRC Pros:
- Magnum bolt face
- I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have the most bullet choices with all those 308s out there.
- Fun rifle to shoot at a mile.
- Very efficient cartridge

300 PRC Cons:
- Only ammo available right now is Hornady
- Only factory brass available is Hornady (but I use fire-formed and prepped 8x68S and it works well, and ADG is planning a 2020 product launch for it)

300 WM Pros:
- Lots of good ammo and brass available.
- Similar to 300 PRC otherwise

300 WM Cons:
- Except for brass/ammo availability, the 300 PRC is superior in pretty much all respects.
- It is a belted magnum.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am fairly vocal about my fondness for my 300 PRC. My current one is a Franken-rifle, but I like the cartridge so much (and am sufficiently invested in it) that I'm doing a custom build as soon as my Manners stock is done.