• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a rifle off of a high number M1903 action/receiver

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
If you could find an M1903 action, can you think of a reason not to build a rifle out of it?

I'm not talking about sporterizing an existing rifle, I'm talking about a complete build off a miscellaneous action.

Does it have a standard placement of action screws for modern stock use? Would it be able to work around the integral receiver lug and accept modern recoil lugs and something like a Krieger barrel?

Just insanity mixed with curiosity.

Last edited:
A "modern" recoil lug is nothing but a cheap manufacturing shortcut.
An integral lug is far superior.
The winchester model 70 is nothing but a modified mauser, as is the 1903.
A good stock might be a challenge, but I'm sure McMillan would make one for you.

Any Springfield is going to have some issues. Two piece firing pin. Poor gas handling if you rupture a case, high bolt turn up. I think the day of the Springfield has passed.

I'm probably about to rip this one apart to be an action donor. Hate to tear the old girl up, but it's here and...

It's currently a .308 Norma Mag, I'll be rebarreling it with a Broughton in the same caliber. There's still a chance I may put it up for sale and buy something different though.

Norma1.jpg

Norma4.jpg

The 1903 action is an excellent candidate for building a rifle. It's a strong, accurate action.

The 1903 is the action the Army used to build Mann Devices. The Mann device is a barreled action the military uses to test ammo. It was use, on the '06, 7.62, 30 cal carbine, 22 hornet, and 45 ACP just to name a few.

Here is one in 45 ACP

45%20cal%20mann%20device.jpg

A friend of mine built this rest for a '03 Mann he got from the CMP

Stolen%20Mann.jpg

I wouldn't turn down a 1903 action. Except I would round up the parts and put it back to original condition. If it was drilled and tapped, I'd make a 'A4 out of it. But that's just me.

Was thinking about getting a 1903 action and having a 20" 45acp barrel that I got cheap threaded for it. Too many irons in the fire right now to add another one, though.