• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a trainer

ocherp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Just trying to get some of your thoughts on building a trainer. Looking at building a 22LR. I've looked at bolt vs semi. Just looking for opinions on the matter. For semi, what would you do, build off a Ruger 10/22 or on a TacSol X-ring, is it worth the extra money? Thanks.

Re: Building a trainer

I have a 10/22 but it's not a trainer. It is a plinker/hunter and I love it. I consistently get .5-.75moa groups at 50yds with it and I'm happy with that. Here are my mods:

Receiver: Stock
Bolt: Stock
Buffer Pins: Stock
Firing Pin: Stock and unpinned
Guide Rod/Spring: Stock
V-Block: Stock
Trigger Group: Hornet Custom
Barrel: Tactical Solutions 16" Fluted
Stock: Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint
Scope Rail: Tactical Solutions Picatinny Rail (Wish I had gotten a 20moa rail)
Scope: Hensoldt 4x24 with Larue mount

This thing is light, quick, and a blast to shoot. However if I was going to make a dedicated trainer, I'd get a bolt action 40x, CZ452 American, or (if you have the cash to spare) try and locate a custom action and build off that.

Either way, you SHOULD have a 10/22 just like everyone else. Either way, good luck!

Do you shoot a bolt gun now or plan to, or are you into automatics more? If I was building a trainer, I would likely go with the same platform I already have, or plan to go with.
Like the man above said, everyone should have a 10/22 either way!

get both!
smile.gif

I agree with several points...

1. You need a trainer that suits what you are "training" for. Bolt-Molt - Semi-Semi
2. Everyone NEEDS a 10/22

I am having a trainer built at the moment it is a CZ452 with a heavy 22" barrel and an MCM A5 stock , I am having it built to match my cenerfire's , I can't wait to get that thing to the range .... been waiting over a year good smith alway's got long waiting list's .

It will be worth it when I get it .

Thats what I would do

Build on a stock 10/22 to save money. The X ring action improves the Ruger by adding the integrated scope mount. That is the only improvement it seems to have and that comes at a hefty cost.

depends on how accurate of a replica you want to train with.

i have both, 22 trainer that is semi and 22 bolt gun. neither are 100% the same as what they replicate but they're close.

problem with 22 trainers is generally its hard to make them feel like the big guns as 22's are inherently smaller rifles. my savage 22 bolt gun is waaaaaaay smaller than the 308 and theres not much you can do about it. the action of a 22 will generally be tiny compared to a centerfire caliber. I'm sure there are exceptions, like the 40x. unsure about the CZ450series.

bottom line i guess is determine how close you want it to be to your centerfire rifle and build it appropriately.

just about any accurate 22 with a good trigger and scope will allow you to train the basics fine.

I have serious reservations about trainers replicating the ergnomics, etc. of a particular C/F platform.

My reservation are based on my opinions on what training rifles are supposed to accomplish.

I think their primary purpose to reinforce skills on a generic level, and not in a manner tailered toward any particular platform. It's a matter of whether we want to perfect our skills with any and all platforms, or whether we want them narrowed down to just one of just a few very similar ones.

To my mind, there is no 'right' answer here, just a significant choice. I prefer to develop my own skills on a more generic basis, but that's just me.

Greg

I live and work at a rifle range. Not bragging just saying I get to see a lot of rifles? I've seen 10/22"s that just run and run, but not so much with the x rings. My room mate is on his second one, cause the first one was so bad it had to be sent back for a new one!
Buy the 10/22 and save the extra money for the trigger and barrel. They really turn into shooters with a new trigger and barrel!!
Hope this helps? Good luck!!

My basic/primary trainer is an old pre-Accu-Trigger Savage MKIIF. Closest current equivalent is a Stevens 300 listing at $193, but it simply makes no sense to save the $21 and skip the Savage MKIIF with the Accu-Trigger for $214.

They shoot as well as any baseline model .22lr bolt gun I've seen.

If the tightest groups is your criterion, you can spend more. But for me, a trainer is not about tightest groups, but about consistently similar ones. It's not about how the gun shoots an any day, it's about how the shooter performs on a given day.

The Stevens 300/Savage MKIIF does this admirably.

I would get the 10/22. They are just too much fun. Every collection should have one.

i bought a marlin 880sq that i had traded a guy a couple years back. got a boyds tacticool and a falcon 4-14 mil/mil.

my 308 is rem 700 in a hs prec with a 4.5-18 falcon. just picked up a 5.5-25 falcon this afternoon from dad. will try that soon.