• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building an LR Training / PRS / NLR range...advice?

rob.sfo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Contra Costa County, CA
If you were going to build a shooting facility that includes the ability to stretch out to 1 mile, what would you build?
Used for training classes, PRS/NRL style competitions, and other one-off events.
It would be private/club range only, not public, setup as an LLC, with on-site caretakers.
It would start from nothing, just bare land (with no on-site power or water), but has money via investments, small business loan, etc.

What’s a must-have, if you wanted to limit the budget?
What’s a nice-to-have?

What would you want in a shooting line?
What would you want in a classroom (probably conex-style)?
Other facilities?

I’m thinking of getting involved in a project that is underway (early stages, writing the business plan, finalizing investors/grants/loans/etc).
I’d love any and all advice (even if it’s “run for the hills!”).

Cheers,
Rob

What you need is lots of land away from everything and everyone. Your biggest investment will be steel, unless you decide to build some type of building etc.
You can use portable tents etc for big shoots if that is what your leaning towards. You will need to mow areas around targets and shooting stages. Have a good welder/4x4/tractor/backhole. Start small and add to it.

My local private range consists of 2 sections of land. Comes with windmills and cows. 5 separate ranges out to about 1250 yards max each. There is 1 wooded platform, while the rest is roll out your mat etc to shoot from.

Start small and grow a following, then add to it each year. Ranges that go out to 1400 yards or so are rare and far away. The people will come if you "manage" it correctly.

Reactions: rob.sfo
maybe it's me but I don't think an onsite classroom is important. picnic tables and a pavilion would simpler. Creature comforts are nice (water, heat, A/C, electricity) but only if it doesn't make the cost out of reach to the average shooter.

A pavilion could be something as simple as a pole shed, so you could save some coin there.

But I think an area set up with both benches and some open area behind the line with a few barricades. Maybe a cattle gate, a tank trap and some area to lay a shooting mat. Maybe some concrete slabs under the shooting mats.

A roof would be nice, but not necessary.

Honestly, the priority should be IDPA (etc) competition support and 3 gun. Set up for that, that also allows long range shooting with movers, elevated shooting positions, etc., surrounding the pistol bays.

The pistol competitions allow a lot of people to compete simultaneously, and therefore monthly matches can get quite large (100+), which is a large cash flow. Then rent the range out daily for LE training, etc. Use the weekends for public shooting or matches.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat, but you need to dedicate to one discipline that can generate enough cash flow to keep the range solvent.

Think out side the box. I had dinner with a fellow Hider last night and we were discussing how boring 'square' ranges are. He's got a place where you can shoot from moving vehicles and out of canoes. Personally, I like seeing things explode. Maybe an obstacle type course, or taking a page from German's book, a night vision set up. Anything to keep it fresh and different.

Marines crawl under barbed wire through the mud pit.

Last edited:
Honestly, the priority should be IDPA (etc) competition support and 3 gun. Set up for that, that also allows long range shooting with movers, elevated shooting positions, etc., surrounding the pistol bays.

The pistol competitions allow a lot of people to compete simultaneously, and therefore monthly matches can get quite large (100+), which is a large cash flow. Then rent the range out daily for LE training, etc. Use the weekends for public shooting or matches.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat, but you need to dedicate to one discipline that can generate enough cash flow to keep the range solvent.
I'll second that after helping a friend with his range that currently has 500 yards for rifle and several pistol/carbine bays.

The pistol and carbine stuff earns the bread and butter with classes for enthusiasts, CCW license qualification, and LEO training.

That also attracted a local contractor who moved a LOT of dirt for free with his equipment between larger jobs.

We used my Unimog backhoe and plenty of elbow grease to get things started and it followed the market demand from there.

Not sure what state but keeping things minimalistic would be my route. Porta shitters, basic shade over shooting locations(at least some of them), solar powered lighting, let clubs drag their own steel out, so use cargo containers for storage.

shade from the sun/rain, place to shit or piss, tables to set stuff on or shoot off of, tractor for burm work/weed mowing/general earth moving, crushed concrete or asphalt on the roads.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the input. We already have a lot of this incorporated, but there are some good ideas in here we hadn't thought of.

On the PRS/NRL side, build your range and layout around a good course of fire. Out of my 4 local ranges that hold matches, only one has an actual office/meeting room/ bathroom. People won't be there for the amenities, they come for the course of fire.

One of the 4 has retarded stages; it's like the MD is adamant that it has to be something way out, never seen before stuff. While some is good, don't over do it. I don't go there anymore, because i don't care about how well I shoot weak-side unsupported standing at 1MOA plates past 300.

2 of my local matches have put together a little mini series with each other, which I think is great. It brings in shooters local to the other match that might not have come otherwise. There's a finale, the whole works.

Above all, if you as a MD can keep an ear out for feedback from the people showing up and giving them what they want, it'll be a great place. God luck.

Any advice on the actual range design for the LR section? Right now we're thinking 3 LR bays, at a mile, 1000y and 600-800y. Is there anything in particular that can be done during the building phase that would make for better PRS/NRL matches? My experience is in multigun/pistol matches.

Any advice on the actual range design for the LR section? Right now we're thinking 3 LR bays, at a mile, 1000y and 600-800y. Is there anything in particular that can be done during the building phase that would make for better PRS/NRL matches? My experience is in multigun/pistol matches.

I have no experience with setting up matches, only limited experience in shooting them. @morganlamprecht , @Sheldon N , @NoLegs24 , @LH Gina and @JC Steel would have good answers.

Set up more target hangers than you have steel. It'll allow moving things around.

Put berms in strategically, targets in front, on, and behind (movers), will pay dividends. Have a good mix of targets with backstops, and ones without.

Use vegetation and terrain at both target and shooter locations to your advantage.

Mentioned above is good stuff

when we set up we try to think about every portion of the stage...does the movement make sense, the position vs target size, and where the bullet will splash on a miss if there’s no berm (we have some closer stuff that gives no feedback, because u should be able to call wind accurately enough at 350 yds, but 900+ we set targets off the brush lines to give splash)

also if using a single firing line for all stages, try not to cram too many stages side by side if u can help it...if u can hear the ROs from other stages or can’t hear your RO due to the next stages muzzle blast, it can get a Little old or confusing

Reactions: MarinePMI
For physical range structure with the purpose of shooting matches, things that would be valuable IMO would be:

Orienting the range taking into account angle of the sun (sucks to shoot directly into the sun)
Orienting the range taking into account prevailing winds - if the range is predominatly head-wind or tail wind that is very challenging.
Creating multiple shooting angles so that on any given day you can have different wind.
Elevated shooting positions to deal with mirage. 1000 yards on dead flat ground can be almost impossible to see the target. ConX boxes, shoot towers, etc.
Covered shooting areas and/or gravel or concrete shooting platforms. Areas around barricades can turn into a mud pit from foot traffic
Logistics - walking paths, parking areas, staging areas. Imagine what the space will look like with 100-150 vehicles, shooters and all their rifles/gear
Bring in creative shooting props to create a unique experience.

Finally I'd say if you're going to really do it seriously and invest sigfnicant $$ it would be worth taking a trip to a place like K&M in Tennessee and bend the ear of the owner for tips and insights. There's a spectrum of good ranges out there, from bare land used creatively all the way to a full golf course manicured range (like K&M), and seeing them in person could help you decide how best to strategically approach your own design.

Reactions: morganlamprecht