• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building an LR308 in 8.6 BLK

Good12B1995

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2022
Missouri
www.youtube.com
I wanted to put up a post with some details of the experience. It is possible some of the details may appear in other threads regarding compatibility between receivers by different manufacturers but I thought I would share them here for people to reference if they are about to build a new 8.6 BLK caliber rifle.

So barrel choice, currently Faxon and that's all folks. Manufactured in 8", 12", and 16" lengths when available. I went with a 16 inch because anything shorter is blasphemy ( do NOT get me started on SBRs, I know they exist and I know some people like them, but to me it is like driving a screw into 2 pieces of wood with a hammer, sure it works.. but..)

Next I went with an Aero Precision M5E1 enhanced upper (SKU#APAR308504AC). I wanted a truly free floating handguard,(ie something that didn't even bolt to the barrel nut) which is where the fun starts... so I ordered this model about the time the barrels started the 7 day prerelease timer on the Faxon site. I also grabbed a standard gas block (0.875 ID) and carbine length nitride gas tube.. you know because BLK is in the name and I wanted it ALL black.

For the lower I had a Palmetto State Armory carbine lower sitting in the gun safe so that seemed a good foundation.. well it SEEMED that way.

The magic day arrives, the barrel is here, the upper is here, all my other parts I thought I would need were here. Oh glorious day. I doubt I need to go through the full upper assembly details on here as I am sure they are available elsewhere.. so I assemble the upper .. you might notice by now that I haven't mentioned a handguard, well the reason for that is that the last one went out of stock as I was filling my cart with goodies, funfun. Wait, it get's worse.. I lovingly place the upper on the lower and slide the pivot pin through, then I "close" the rifle and ATTEMPT to insert the rear pin. Not so much. The alignment is off maybe a half millimeter and will go if I force it but I am kind of twitchy about using a hammer to assemble an AR. Also there is a noticeable fitment issue where the upper and lower meet. Even with the pin started through by moderate force the seam where the upper and lower meet is wide enough to slide a credit card through. So back to the gun safe. To make this saga a bit shorter let's just say that a Bear Creek Arsenal lower doesn't fit much better. However for obvious reasons my Aero Precision rifle lower from my 6.5 PRC build fit just fine. But now I have a full stock on a 16" barrel (not my preference.. see again the comment on driving screws with a hammer). So back to the internet for more parts.

In for a penny in for a pound. I grabbed a stripped Aero lower (SKU# APAR308003C), a VLTOR EMOD 7 position buffer kit (VLOR p/n AEBK-A5B), and a Sig Tango MSR 1-10 x 28 (1/2 MOA adjust with 34mm tube diameter) online. Once those arrived I pulled a CMMG parts kit, my Magpul MOE K2+ grip, TRYBE ambidextrous charging handle, Greyman 45/90 degree ambi safety, and a Rise RA140 drop in trigger out of the safe and commenced work on 8.6 BLK 2.0. Everything went together nicely. Mostly. The CMMG bolt catch is squared off in the back and hit the lower housing towards the middle of the frame where it needs to pivot up to grab the bolt after the last round ejects. Aero Precision kits use a rounded catch so there was a bit of grinding.

But finally she was all done (see picture 1). I also think she looks pretty sharp, just cost significantly more than originally planned, and also wasn't the "LEGO" build you usually get from an AR. Oh well thems the brakes.

During break in my first 2 shot groups were pretty tight for just messing around. So on group #3, #4, and #5 I went ahead and tried to shrink them and then adjusted my scope zero. Might be a mistake and have to readjust later but as you can see in the pictures, not too bad for the first 15 rounds out of a new build. Pic 2 is group 2 and 3(@ 6mm total size) while pic 3 is group 4(@ 7mm) and 5(@ 9mm). I pulled the last shot of group 5, I knew it was bad before I even felt the recoil. But I was getting excited about the size of the groups, so of course I ruined it. Shots were at 100 yards with wind at 5 MPH and roughly 80% value. Ammunition was the Gorilla 8.6 BLK 210gr Barnes TSX supersonics.

Attachments

• 20220621_142141.jpg
    20220621_142141.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 20220621_143827.jpg
    20220621_143827.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 20220621_143725.jpg
    20220621_143725.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reactions: buggz
Nice groups, LR-308s are frustrating unless you get all you parts from the same place in my experience. Looks like it shot well. How was the fouling in the barrel, I would figure the 1:3 would chew up some of the copper

Nice groups, LR-308s are frustrating unless you get all you parts from the same place in my experience. Looks like it shot well. How was the fouling in the barrel, I would figure the 1:3 would chew up some of the copper
Not as bad as I was worried about. But then I was cleaning every 10 rounds. However as I posted in the reloading thread I plan on reloading with CFE-BLK to minimize fouling. I hope to shoot it a lot. The recoil Impulse is very manageable. I would place it below 308 or very close. I need more ammo to try it with the VLTOR equipped lower which includes a 5.3oz buffer and improved spring over the stock rifle style components on the 6.5 PRC's lower. If the new lower reduces the existing recoil it might come down to 6.5 CM levels.. which will get expensive because I love shooting 6.5 CM.

not trying to knock the round or anything like that beside people like what they like and wanting what they want . After seeing another persons post in the forums on this round I have to wonder he needed 41.+ moa to hit a target at 300 yards our 22lr only needs 38.1 moa to hit the same target and it's quieter without the can than the 8.6 with , and cost way less shoot . Why not just get a 308 and use a can on it you would seemingly get better performance past 300 yards with it than the 8.6 . If i understand it correctly 338 lapua mag , stuffed into a 6.5 cm case that is sort of quiet and requires a special barrel twist with none of the performance of either round , needing more elevation than a 22lr and the bigger bullet has to cost more than the bullet for either the 308 or the 6.5 and way more than the 22lr . Is it just the kinda quite thing that your after if not why ? hunting ? Again not trying to turn you off to it just trying to wrap my head around two video's I have seen so far about it , It will cost more than 6.5 creed or 308 , drop like a concrete block . the 6.5's shot with cans I have heard were pretty quiet . What is the upside to it if there is one ?

Last edited:
not trying to knock the round or anything like that beside people like what they like and wanting what they want . After seeing another persons post in the forums on this round I have to wonder he needed 41.+ moa to hit a target at 300 yards our 22lr only needs 38.1 moa to hit the same target and it's quieter without the can than the 8.6 with , and cost way less shoot . Why not just get a 308 and use a can on it you would seemingly get better performance past 300 yards with it than the 8.6 . If i understand it correctly 338 lapua mag , stuffed into a 6.5 cm case that is sort of quiet and requires a special barrel twist with none of the performance of either round , needing more elevation than a 22lr and the bigger bullet has to cost more than the bullet for either the 308 or the 6.5 and way more than the 22lr . Is it just the kinda quite thing that your after if not why ? hunting ? Again not trying to turn you off to it just trying to wrap my head around two video's I have seen so far about it , It will cost more than 6.5 creed or 308 , drop like a concrete block . the 6.5's shot with cans I have heard were pretty quiet . What is the upside to it if there is one ?
22 is a 40 gn projectile, 8.6 is 300 ... one will kill a deer in places that need subsonic at 250 yards, onew wont.

Reactions: acudaowner
22 is a 40 gn projectile, 8.6 is 300 ... one will kill a deer in places that need subsonic at 250 yards, onew wont.
Hi Craigos!

I enjoy target shooting regularly at my local range but I’m very new to hunting; only started last year. I’d like to ask a few questions about subsonic hunts since I’ve never done one. Do you find the amount of drop a subsonic projectile has at 250yards makes getting clean and effective hits more difficult than the novice/average hunter can achieve? What scenarios are you hunting were subsonics have been needed over supersonics? Is there anything particularly attractive about the 8.6Blackout for subsonic hunting over 458SOCOM?

Do you shoot NRL22?
Me? No no.

It already takes all of my will-power just to maintain a semi-disinterested relationship with my completely stock Ruger 10/22 takedown. If I shoot it too often I end up looking at the aftermarket; that was enough to know I should never buy a .22LR bolt-action. I’ve seen what going down the “precision .22LR” rabbit hole does to people, their wallets and their families.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
If you've shot a $6K precision rimfire getup at 250yds you would know what to expect shooting subs at that distance.

Not something I would want to do, one-n-done on an animal. Much less with a 8lb AR
I’m never going to own a $6k any-kind-of-getup.

Is the experience mind blowing more enlightening than shooting a $800 458SOCOM with 500gr subs at 250yards and realizing there is no way I’d be able to safely hunt that far with it?