• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building an M-110 type service rifle

entropic86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Missouri
Hi folks, long-time Hide lurker, first time poster here. I'm trying to gather info on the specifics of what is legal before I build an M-110 type service rifle for NRA high-power competition. So far, all I know is that I'll be using my LR-308 lower with A2 stock and (hopefully, if legal) a slick-side DPMS upper, probably with a krieger barrel. I'm looking for info from other people who have built one and know the specifics as far as handgaurd, sights, trigger, and BCG. Any help, or even just a link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the sage advice,

Dave

Re: Building an M-110 type service rifle

More than a few who shoot that class here, sure they will chime in shortly to help you out! GL! BTW - I love that class as it's not a gear chasing game, but a skill game!

Not sure if the M-110 is a prevelant enough "issue" rifle that it is recognized by NRA for Service Rifle legal.
NRA's website has downloadable current rules for HP competition (at least they used to).

Well, I guess they have updated:

From http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf

<span style="font-style: italic">3.1.6 Service Rifle - U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm M-110 series as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces, or the
same type and caliber of commercially procured rifle without bipod, having not less than a 4 1/2 pound trigger pull
with standard-type stock, pistol grip, handguard, and leather or web sling. In all courses of fire and in all positions,
the standard 20 round box magazine or a reduced magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached.
The gas system must be fully operational. External alterations to the barrel, upper and lower receivers, stock,
handguard, or pistol grip will not be allowed, except that plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the
handguard. The flash suppressor may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor.
Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifling in the barrel. The front sling swivel
must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2 inches
from its original location. The sights must be of the standard design found on the M16 series of firearms. Rear
sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allow finer adjustments. No optical sights are
allowed. The removable carry handle and front sight assembly must conform to the dimensions specified. The rear
sight aperture and front sight width may vary in width to suit the shooter. The rear aperture may be hooded.</span>

It is rule 3.1.6 in the NRA High-Power Rule Book. It's definately legal, I'm just not sure how to build a legal one. It seems to be a scoped rifle during for military use, but in service rifle, of course it has to have irons.

I read about it the other day. Someone that went to Camp Perry posted the team that used them was pretty beat up and bloody after the rapid fire string due to the nose-to-charging-handle hold they were using.

Thanks, but the Krieger website is what originally got my little project going....I've done a a couple hours of research, but just can't seem to find any details. Thanks though.

You can now buy a real Mk11Mod1 or an SR-25 Special Lightweight Match from any KAC dealer:

sr25_mk11_mod1_2.jpg

sr25_mk11_mod1.jpg

Dealer was around 7K a few months ago on MK11.

MSRP:

Mk11Mod1 - $8508.89
SR-25 Special Lightweight Match - $4993.75

The MK11 is a special run like they had several years ago with the Mod 0. The SR-25 match will be an ongoing produciton rifle.

I'll be interested to see what street price the match rifle settles into. I'm guessing around $4500, possibly a bit less, which isn't unreasonable when compared to what prices older SR-25s have fetched up untill now.

I am interested in building an AR10 type rifle for match competition as well. The NRA rule 3.1.6 does not make the types of legal handguards very clear. The "as issued" M110 uses a KAC handguard, the Armalite AR10NM uses their own, while Fulton Armory 7.62MM NM M110 comes with standard AR handguards or a DD Lite Rail.

Can any aftemarket handguard be used as long as the other furniture is std?

Any additional clarification appreciated.

34zm0ya.jpg

2pq6pah.jpg

Magpul CTR butt
DPMS free float rail
FUlton Armory 18" barrell
Hogue grip
JP precision trigger
Leupold VX-111 scope
Harriss bipod
Ops Inc 12th Model suppressor (still at my dealer, hence the crappy cell phone pic)

That's M-110 doppleganger. Total cost ~ $3,500.