• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building collapse on east coast of florida

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/florida-building-collapse-surfside/

surfside-florida-partial-building-collapse-062421-from-distance.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jgunner
I'm not a structural engineer (mechanical HVAC) but being 45 years in the commercial construction business
I've learned a thing or two. That looks to me from the pics to be a mild steel (re-bar) concrete slab building and not PT (post tensioned slab). I f they were working on the roof as the one article stated, I'm guessing there may have been a lot of rain infiltration from the bad roof and over time the re-bar rusted out and the concrete may have even degraded a bit and the roof slab pancaked.

I'm not a structural engineer (mechanical HVAC) but being 45 years in the commercial construction business
I've learned a thing or two. That looks to me from the pics to be a mild steel (re-bar) concrete slab building and not PT (post tensioned slab). I f they were working on the roof as the one article stated, I'm guessing there may have been a lot of rain infiltration from the bad roof and over time the re-bar rusted out and the concrete may have even degraded a bit and the roof slab pancaked.
Being Miami, with lots of local sand, the contractor could have save a lot by using beach sand for the concrete rather than paying for washed sand. Caveat is beach sand is full of salt which is extremely detrimental to both steel and concrete. I watched them do that on the beach near Tulum, Mexico.

Or the commentator did say there were at least 20 Israeli's missing. It did look like a clumsy controlled demolition.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
was anyone inside or was it new development awaiting people moving in?

They say they are searching for survivors... so, this doesn't look like it was planned.. (publicly)

was anyone inside or was it new development awaiting people moving in?
Forty year old condo building. Fifty something unaccounted for last I heard. One child recovered dead, a teenager found alive. They said building was being inspected for 40 year recertification in one article. Guess they were a day late.

They say they are searching for survivors... so, this doesn't look like it was planned.. (publicly)
I heard 50 unaccounted for with as mentioned above, at least 20 Israeli's.

Forty year old condo building. Fifty something unaccounted for last I heard. One child recovered dead, a teenager found alive. They said building was being inspected for 40 year recertification in one article. Guess they were a day late.
that's just terrible! very sad news

Reactions: Ravenworks
Look how far the debris field stretches away from the building. It didn't fall down, it toppled over; rotating on the exterior edge. Look how far the roof remnant has been displaced. That might result from some kind of footing failure I'd guess.

The video pretty clearly shows that the structural failure was low, and pulled it down, and not the top failing first. I don't recall where, but I also read that parking was under the building, so there would be a lot of exposed support structure that could fail that is out of sight . . .

Last edited:
I'm waiting for structural reports to come out that warned of imminent collapse but were kept hidden.

Being Miami, with lots of local sand, the contractor could have save a lot by using beach sand for the concrete rather than paying for washed sand. Caveat is beach sand is full of salt which is extremely detrimental to both steel and concrete. I watched them do that on the beach near Tulum, Mexico.

Or the commentator did say there were at least 20 Israeli's missing. It did look like a clumsy controlled demolition.
Surely they wouldn't have used beach sand, aka blow sand, in the concrete.

But the concrete does look crumbly. Beach sand isn't worth a sh*t for anything but beaches.

Reactions: Maggot
Look how far the debris field stretches away from the building. It didn't fall down, it toppled over; rotating on the exterior edge. Look how far the roof remnant has been displaced. That might result from some kind of footing failure I'd guess.
Looks to me like the roof is on the highest part of the rubble and the balconies are to the left of that picture. Truly a tragic event!!

But the concrete does look crumbly. Beach sand isn't worth a sh*t for anything but beaches.
That concrete was not batched anywhere near the beach.

Reactions: Ravenworks

Beach sand is a lot of dead sea animals........organics not as solid as rock debris.

That concrete was not batched anywhere near the beach.
Doesn't prevent the batch plant from using beach sand. They are surround by beaches.

I'm sure the concrete and rebar is being psi tested as we speak.

There are discusions going on now from people that have come foreward saying as late as the mid 90's there were structural concerns with this build due to sinking and cracks in the concrete.
Im sure they are very busy now in CYA mode and working up gag orders.

There are discusions going on now from people that have come foreward saying as late as the mid 90's there were structural concerns with this build due to sinking and cracks in the concrete.
Im sure they are very busy now in CYA mode and working up gag orders.
is the fbi in charge of building safety now?

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I'm putting my money on subsurface soil (or lack thereof) failure.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional engineer and the assessment offered is purely for discussion and speculation. I do not endorse the re-construction of this building utilizing my speculation as approved stamped engineered documents provided for the local governing building department. Thank you.

I'm putting my money on subsurface soil (or lack thereof) failure.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional engineer and the assessment offered is purely for discussion and speculation. I do not endorse the re-construction of this building utilizing my speculation as approved stamped engineered documents provided for the local governing building department. Thank you.
Im putting my money on negligence from city inspectors and the property owner ignoring the signs of imminent danger.

One would think those structures would be required to be overbuilt due to hurricanes.

They said only one dead - no way, has to be more. Very sad. Imagine thinking how cool it is to have a sea-side condo...then this. Serious prayers out to the injured and families of the dead or missing.

Last edited:
They said only one dead - no way, has to be more. Very sad. Imagine thinking how cool it is to have a sea-side condo...them this. Serious prayers out to the injured and families of the dead or missing.
obviously there are more, that was just the one they were reporting at the time. Agree with the rest of your post.

The building was completed in 1981….so it had been there a long while. Been through a lot of storms, etc.

I’d wager that the deep foundations were compromised by sub-surface water…..essentially washing away the soil.

There is a metric-ass load of dead load on those foundations. If water started to compromise the soil beneath it, it got to a tipping point and down she came.

We’ve been involved on construction projects adjacent to the beach (not in Miami, but definitely in south Florida) that were nowhere near the size/height of that building and the deep foundations can go way, way, way down below grade.

Terrible situation. Unfortunately, there are going to be a lot more dead bodies pulled from that collapse. You can bet your bottom dollar all of the adjacent buildings will be under very comprehensive inspections if it was a deep foundation failure due to soil disruption. Scary stuff.

Reactions: FredBart