• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Building first SBR

TheShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I am building my first SBR, a 10.5" 5.56. I plan to run it primarily with a can. My question is, do I need an adjustable gas block? Also, should I do anything else to enhance reliability? I will be running a full auto carrier.

Thanks for the help.

you won't know until you build it and run it and once you figure it out. Make sure its common ammo. Makes it useless to tune a rifle to ammo that's hard to find

Adjustable block will help with decreasing blow back which will keep the gun cleaner and burn less oil. A LMT Enhanced carrier will really help with that too. ** NOTE: only run the LMT enhanced carrier, not the enhanced bolt. The bolt does not work well in SBR's. The carrier's different cam angle and extra port helps reduce pressure faster and reduces blowback as well.

There are a few home remedies as well. Try drilling a small port hole in the charging handle on the right side just behind where it makes complete contact with the rear of the receiver. The RTV trick works well too if you decide against the adjustable gas block.

Last edited:
I run a 10.5" with a Gas Vent replacement forward assist and a BCM Gun Fighter charging handle. I get zero gas face.

As far as tuning your gun to run, I wouldnt run an adjustable gas block. My 10.5 runs great un-suppressed with an H buffer although it doesnt really like low powered ammo. It runs over gassed with a can and could probably use an H3 buffer. I am going to try an H2 buffer in it and see how it runs. Thats as much tuning as I will do. I dont necessarily mind it running a bit fast suppressed, yea beats the gun up a bit more, but eh, I know it will run if and when I need it to.

It will vary from weapon to weapon, I wouldn't worry about picking one up until you know you need one.

My 10.5 LMT for example runs perfect with the stock setup after the conversion. The only modification I made eventually was switching to an ST2 buffer, but that was because when running suppressed that particular rifle buffer I would get annoyed by the clanking of the buffer weights.

To really understand the difference a suppressor makes on a gas gun, it helps to check full auto cyclic rates on an electronic timer - even if you do not plan to shoot full auto.

Cyclic rate - suppressed - is typically much, much higher than unsuppressed, 40% or more greater with some suppressor brands. This increase in RPM is a function of increased dwell time and more back pressure. But, just one thing is happening faster, the bolt carrier group doing its thing moving rearward. This is a potential reliability issue, especially as the gun gets dirty - which of course it will, and much faster suppressed.

There are band aids for this problem that will help - but not eliminate it.

The Larue PST and Noveske Switchblock give the shooter the option of a reduced gas setting - but will that be exactly right for your particular suppressor??? Noveske's suppressed Switchblock settings were derived using AAC suppressors. Will that be enough reduction for a Thunderbeast, or too much for a Surefire? Larue advertises their PST suppressed settings were developed using Surefire suppressors. How will the PST work with other suppressors?

A gas port size selected to run with your suppressor at an appropriate cyclic rate is one complicated solution, and that's what I did with a recent batch of Noveske 10.5" SS barrels. I'm not the first to do this. It's a lot easier to make a gas port bigger than smaller, so starting small is the way to go. But, it can be a pain to fixture up and enlarge a gas port. Once you're close to where you want to be, you can fine tune with different buffer weights. I've found the Vltor A5 recoil system to be very helpful in this regard. My own "suppressed only" 10.5" with custom Noveske SS barrel:

IMG_2634.JPG

This combo initially ran at an unbelievably low 615 RPM (with ASYM 55 grain FMJ practice ammo) with a Vltor A2 buffer. I'm sure it would not have been reliable that slow when dirty. Switching to a Vltor A1 buffer bumped the cyclic rate up to 720 RPM, exactly where I want to be. The gun runs very smoothly, with amazingly low recoil. I won't even tell you how this thing will shoot with a scope and match ammo, because you wouldn't believe me, and that really doesn't matter in a practical sense for a CQB weapon. What the accuracy does indicate is that things are functioning well. This upper seems to carbon up more slowly than my other 10.5" with a normal gas port when run suppressed. But - They all get dirty suppressed - from pressure trapped in the suppressor running back through the barrel as the BCG cycles more than from being a gas driven design. Piston guns fired suppressed do much the same.

A "suppressed only" rig is not for everyone. There are numerous proven methods for helping cope with excessive gas pressures, but none eliminate the problem quite like having the right size gas port.

Enter the Syrac gas block, a positive click adjustable device that will potentially provide the best of both worlds. You'll be able to make precise, repeatable adjustments with it just like you do with the Zero-Stop on your scope's elevation turret.

All future SS barrels we get from Noveske Rifleworks will have a Syrac gas block.

Last edited: