• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Building Lightweight 28 Nosler -- Looking for inputs

kenzup

Facta Non Verba
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
I have a Defiance Deviant Ultralight on order to build a 28 Nosler. I am looking to build another lightweight hunter. Goal is to stay under 10 pounds but really trying to get as light as possible. My other light build is a 6.5 Creedmoor at 8.25 pounds with glass. It was built with a Proof Research carbon barrel and shoots like a dream. That all said here are some of the things I am thinking about and would like to know what you all think:

1) Barrel, I can run a 3 contour or a Proof carbon both at about 3 pounds. I may be able to get a little lighter with a helical flue on the all steel barrel. Though I my loose rigidity with the steel barrel; I could bed all the way up the stock to create pressure on the barrel to possible help that.

2) Stocks, I am huge fan of the manners EH stocks. My 6.5 is built in an EH4 and love it. The only downside to that stock is putting a bipod on it doesn't give it much room if you need to shoot off a bag or other "barricade" of some sort. I could go with an MCS-T with elite fill and only gain a couple of ounces. The other thing I am considering is if I should go with a adjustable comb. This would be approx. 3 pound stock instead of a 26 oz stock. Obviously the gain is better cheek weld and shooters comfort

3) Optics, I think I an trying to find a unicorn. I would like to find something in the ball park of a 3-15 FFP scope mil turret adjustments that doesn't weigh a ton. The Vortex PST II 3-15 is 28 oz but it is the closest thing I can find. It also has the same reticle as both my competition rifles. My 6.5 has a Razor LH 3-5 but it is second focal plane and the turrets under the cap are not terrible but not great either.

4) Bottom metal, My first thought is to run BDL bottom metal. Though I have seen the flush mount AI style mags and bottom metal. Really the advantage is it is easier to half load and unload. I also haven't done a lot of research of the pros and cons of brands with BDL style bottom metal from $100 Remington factory to a $300 badger.

Let me know what you think about the build or if you have any ideas/thoughts on making this build better. Thanks.

What's it for ?

If you're serious about saving weight, a pencil barrel and non adjustable stock will help .

As to #4 , Blind mag is lighter than everything except a single shot.

Gotcha, pencil barrels aren't sexy but a quality barrel will shoot well . Blind mag is as light as it gets for a repeater. C.F. stock of your choice, non adjustable to save weight. Ditch the bipod and shoot off your pack, practice with a brake and hunt with a thread protector .

I'm a hunter myself and have found that if you don't need a pile of gizmos, leave them at home.

Gotcha, pencil barrels aren't sexy but a quality barrel will shoot well . Blind mag is as light as it gets for a repeater. C.F. stock of your choice, non adjustable to save weight. Ditch the bipod and shoot off your pack, practice with a brake and hunt with a thread protector .

I'm a hunter myself and have found that if you don't need a pile of gizmos, leave them at home.
Thanks for the input. I have never built a custom with a blind mag but definitely not a bad idea. I guess the only thing I truly have against the pencil thin is I would like to keep a brake on it. The selection for effective brakes kind of goes down as the size of the barrel does.

Are you going to be serious about saving weight? Lots of things we take for granted on LR rifles don't belong if you're really going light .

If you’ve got the extra cash then the proof would be a good option but I think you’d be just fine with a #4 fluted or a #3. Personally I’d skip the blind mag and go BDL. Non adjustable stock for sure, as you still have options if you need a little height. Optics are a tough one. I’ve thought the March 3-24x42 would make a killer hunting scope.

Check out Mesa Precision Altitude stocks. I went with it on my 6.5-284 build that weighs 8lbs 7ozs with a 28” proof cf barrel, shilen dgr long action and a vortex viper 6-24x50. The stock weighs25 ozs with the buttpad and is already inletted for an oversize recoil lug and proof contour.

Reactions: Mullhead
I use the Berger 180 Hybrids in all my 7's and they work great for me. I haven't used the Hornady bullets but I'm sure they'll perform well .

Yes, I reload and will reload. I have heard many people having good luck hunting with the 180-ELDM

Ok I was just seeing if you were looking at the 195 Berger, if so I was going to recommend making sure your magazine could handle the length needed.

I finished this one the end of last year. It comes in right at 10lbs as shown, and that's with the CIP length mini chassis in the Manners, the magazine, and scope and rings. Couldn't be happier with it. I went CIP length so I can load the 195's super long, my COAL is 3.730". I would look for a magazine that will let you load to at least 3.500"+ for the 180's, the 28 really shines once you get past the SAAMI COAL of 3.340". Look around for some people's load info for the 180's, see what COAL they like.

Ok I was just seeing if you were looking at the 195 Berger, if so I was going to recommend making sure your magazine could handle the length needed.

I finished this one the end of last year. It comes in right at 10lbs as shown, and that's with the CIP length mini chassis in the Manners, the magazine, and scope and rings. Couldn't be happier with it. I went CIP length so I can load the 195's super long, my COAL is 3.730". I would look for a magazine that will let you load to at least 3.500"+ for the 180's, the 28 really shines once you get past the SAAMI COAL of 3.340". Look around for some people's load info for the 180's, see what COAL they like.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely investigate the length aspect when it comes to a BDL bottom metal. I have had issues in the field with running mags. I know they make the flush AI mags now but I don’t know if they do in CIP length.
Have you taken anything with your 28 or the Bergers?
I took my cow elk this year with a 180 ELDM and couldn’t of been happier with the retention and lack of jacket shrapnel in the meat.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Thanks for the input. I will definitely investigate the length aspect when it comes to a BDL bottom metal. I have had issues in the field with running mags. I know they make the flush AI mags now but I don’t know if they do in CIP length.
Have you taken anything with your 28 or the Bergers?
I took my cow elk this year with a 180 ELDM and couldn’t of been happier with the retention and lack of jacket shrapnel in the meat.

I haven't unfortunately, I didn't get it finished in time for hunting season.

The 195's are amazing ballistically, but on game performance has been spotty for many . I know a few hunters that refuse to use them anymore. I've been using the 180 Hybrids for years on everything up to and including elk , couldn't be more impressed .

The 28 Nosler definitely has enough juice to use the 195's , but you'll have to make the choice obviously.