• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building my first 1903A4

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Hi, new to this forum. I am currently starting on my first A4 build. I currently have a good 1903A3 Smith Corona Receiver that was drilled and tapped a long time before I got it, with Remington Barrel, pretty much a parts gun, still in military configuration.... My questions are, is there anyone who makes and sells reproduction parts for the A$ mainly a set of rings, and scope, I was wanting to set up the gun for the cmp matches and wanted to go with a weaver K2.5.... Is that a decent scope, is there a source of rebuilt scopes?
Finally, What should I do with the bolt, when I got the gun, someone had started piddling with it but never finished, but the did bend the bolt handle out, I wanted to bend it back in and grind it like they were done originally but, I am not sure how to bend it back, or if I should really worry about it... I am afraid of ruining the body if I apply heat... The bolt on the right is from a 1903 my grandfather did a long time ago, I would like to try and make the bolt look like it. The way the bolt handle is bent does work with a scope as it is....
Also would anyone be interested in a ram line stock for an 03?

There are repros out there, but not really necessary. Weaver K4 60-Bs were know to pop up around Korean conflict. Finding rings and scopes on ebay at reasonable prices just takes patience. You could find a blued set and have them parked, or you can put an ad in the WTB section. I just fixed up a forum member with rings and mount for the same purpose.

Good luck on your build, and welcome.

Thanks for the quick response, are most of the older weavers still serviceable? Most of the one's I've seen are in pretty poor shape... Does anyone rebuild them? Also what to do with the bolt? Would an acetylene torch mess up the temper of the steel in the bolt body? Thanks again!!

Last edited:
CMP has a repro M82 with rings and mount for under $400.

The K-4 wasn't used on the 'A4's nor is it authorized for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches.

But to answer your scope question, the CMP sells Hi Lux M82's complete with mounts and rings just for the 'A4. $375. I got one, it's clearer then my old El Paso k 2.5 and sealed.

Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

They are pretty dern good scopes. Besides mine, I've heard others who like them as well.

They are CMP legal of course.

I thought the k2.5 was allowed well either way I still need to work on the bolt would rehearing the handle and rebranding it hurt it? Or is there a good supplier of premised a4 bolt bodies? Thanks again for the help

As for your bolt, try to get in contact with chuckindenver on the Jouster forum, the CMP forum or here on eBay warpathvracing on eBay. He specializes in A4 bolt modifications and making the proper cutout in stocks for the bolts. If you are going to work the bolt, I'm sure he could tell you anything you need to know about applying heat to the bolt. Sorry I couldn't directly answer your questions, but hopefully this info gets you on the right track.

As long as the heat from the handle doesn't migrate into the bolt body, you should be fine heating and moving the bolt handle. However, I don't know how the handle is attached to the body of the bolt, or if it is machined as a single unit. If the bolt handle is silver soldered, or brazed onto the bolt body, you may end up dislodging the solder/brazing.

Otherwise, use some kind of heat sink to keep the heat from migrating onto the bolt body to keep from changing the bolt's factory temper/hardening. There are commercial heat sink products, or I have used wet towels to insulate knife blades while silver soldering on the guard. Obviously, you can't keep the heat sink too close to the work area, or the heat sink will prevent the work area from getting hot enough.

Even though I know a fair amount about heat treating and forging things, if I were undertaking such a project, I would look at having someone who has done bolts before to do the job. I would fear wrecking my bolt, then it would cost me more to replace the bolt I wrecked, and finally have to pay someone to do it right, thereby greatly increasing the cost of the project.

Having it done by a professional would come under "Buy right once, cry once",rather than crying twice after wrecking the first bolt.

The CMP custom shop can do all the modifications for reasonable prices, you could try giving them a spin.