• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building my first Bolt

Cavitation

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
I am in the planing stage stage right now. I know what job I want the rifle to do. I am looking for ballistic information as well as action recommendations. Unfortunately my pockets are a bit shallow right now but I can pick away at it this winter.
I plan on a light-ish type rifle. Used for hunting only so a barrel burner is not a issue. I plan on a moose hunt next year and possible pronghorn.
I want a 6.5 caliber that will easily push a 147grn 150grn to a minimum of 3000fps. Not 2950 but 3000.
My first thought was 6.5PRC but I am not sure that will get me to 3000fps.
I am not opposed to a wildcat if brass is not too difficult to make. Looking at the manual of cartridge conversions it looks like it will have to be a long action and a magnum case. Best bet may be the 6.5/300 win mag.
Does it look like I am on the right track for my goals?

Thanks,
AL

I’ll say it even though lots of people frown on the idea; switch barrel

Pick your choice of action that has pre-fit barrels available(Tikka will be your most economical choice). It doesn’t need to have a replaceable bolt head since you seem committed to a magnum cartridge, which is fine. Accessorize to your hearts content

300prc will be plenty for moose and too big for pronghorn. 7saum or 6.5prc will be ok for pronghorn. If you want the challenge of a wildcat just to say you’ve done it you could try your hand at a 257 blackjack. Coldboremiracle and blackjack bullets should be able to guide you through the process

A Tikka is so easy you can snag an action for ~700 and find prefits for days in the classifieds, often unfired or only a couple hundred rounds for 50 cents on the dollar or less.

Trigger is sweet too.
Krg bravo is light enough for pack hunting.

Can you tell what I'm recommending? Lol

Moose are not that tough. Yes they absorb a lot but they just don't know they are dead. Hit them in the right spot and it's a done deal. I know folks that have used 30/30, 243 win. A 147 grn at 3000fps will do the job. I'll get close and I don't care if it's a trophy. 40 inch plus is good enough.
I'll look into the Tikka action.

Off the shelf ammo Ha Ha Ha. That's a good one Army First!

So 3000fps with a 147grn is not feasible in the 6.5 PRC? I have a 6.5 peedmoor and get about 2700ish out of that. Can you do much better handshaking the PRC than factory?

So 3000fps with a 147grn is not feasible in the 6.5 PRC? I have a 6.5 peedmoor and get about 2700ish out of that. Can you do much better handshaking the PRC than factory?

Haven't been around a 6.5prc but once,can't remember the fps. (Thinking out loud here,may be way off),but it wouldn't surprise me if the 147/+ gr bullet could be pushed at or over 3000 with a long throated chamber in a 26 - 28 inch barrel.

Since barrel burners aren't a problem....26 Nosler or 6.5-300 Weatherby will get you where ya want to go.......how deep are your pockets......hmmmmm?

My 6.5 PRC shoots 147s at 2990 fps.

If you think 2950 vs 3000 is make or break, you suck at shooting and hunting.
Wanting specific things out of a cartridge has nothing to do with hunting or shooting. I have tens of thousands of rounds under my finger. I shoot enough deer to get my fill of venison. I have rifles to do anything I need or want done.

If I didn't have my 6.5 Creedmoor I would probably have a PRC. The Creedmoor runs just a bit behind the PRC. I simply want a bit more.

Always one in the bunch. You remind me of that old codger on YouTube that does nothing but bitch about any new cartridge that comes out.

Reactions: SierraCJ5
Wanting specific things out of a cartridge has nothing to do with hunting or shooting. I have tens of thousands of rounds under my finger. I shoot enough deer to get my fill of venison. I have rifles to do anything I need or want done.

If I didn't have my 6.5 Creedmoor I would probably have a PRC. The Creedmoor runs just a bit behind the PRC. I simply want a bit more.

Always one in the bunch. You remind me of that old codger on YouTube that does nothing but bitch about any new cartridge that comes out.

That's ok, you can be wrong about two things.

If 10-15 fps is make or break for you, then you've got some serious issues to work out. While I CAN get that extra 10 FPS you so covet, the node is 2990. But hey, whatever makes your pecker salute.

For F's sake, the information you started this thread on is easily googlable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoltRunner
6.5 SAUM or PRC will do it. So will a 6.5-06 AI. A 6.5x284 or 6.5x55 BJAI should be close with double base powders. Use enough barrel and you shouldn’t need to resort to 80-100 grain cases.

Reactions: Cavitation
They've been hunting moose with 6.5mm projectiles in Nordic countries for ~100+ years with great success. I don't see anything wrong with a 6.5mm cartridge for moose.

I would look at the following:

- 6.5 PRC
- 6.5 SAUM
- 6.5 Sherman
- 6.5-284
- 7 SAUM (consider a "medium" length action for this - Defiance XM)
- 7 Sherman SST
- 7 Sherman Max (also benefits from a "medium" length action)

Last edited:
They've been hunting moose with 6.5mm projectiles in Nordic countries for ~100+ years with great success. I don't see anything wrong with a 6.5mm cartridge for moose.

I would look at the following:

- 6.5 PRC
- 6.5 SAUM
- 6.5 Sherman
- 6.5-284
- 7 SAUM (consider a "medium" length action for this - Defiance XM)
- 7 Sherman SST
- 7 Sherman Max (also benefits from a "medium" length action)

A 6.5 saum, 6.5x284 and 6.5x55 with this bullet would be my choice if I was limited to a 6.5
D499CD79-5CE5-4916-9476-22089DFD19F1.png

Reactions: kthomas
Looking through Hodgdon's 2021 annual loading manual this weekend......Weatherby's 6.5 RPM will push them heavies 3000 + fps and it doesn't have a "belt".... could be an option for OP

Reactions: Cavitation
I'm running a 6.5 Max (SAUM improved). Berger 153.5 lower node ~3170 in my 28".

I think the obvious choice that isn't a wildcat is 26 Nosler with at least a 26 inch barrel. I have a 6.5 PRC with a 26 inch barrel and it would be over max pressure to get a 147 to 3,000 FPS. Might as well go 26 Nosler and have case capacity to spare.

Any long action will do the job. Get yourself a Manners carbon stock and a Bartlein carbon fiber barrel and it will be saaaaaawwwwweeeeeeet.