• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building my First Long Range Gun

MattPM0000

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
First, I should probably introduce myself. I go by Matt. I have a small stash of various weapons that I own, as well as work with a few at work but most are suited for close range engagements. I do have some long range guns at work, although, as of yet that isn't one of the things I have anything other than a familiarity with the guns and a Kestrel. I do enjoy learning and tinkering with specifics. Which all and all has lead to my interest in long range shooting.

After years of interest, I've spent the past few months in my spare time looking up what information I could. I've peaked around here for only about 2 weeks, I've got a lot of Applied Ballisttics information printed off that I am reading through. Of course various reviews on YouTube and the highly debatable Rex. I've also read through both the Army's sniper book as well as Special Operations interdiction book. And Hornady's reload book. I would say all this information only makes me slightly familiar with the concepts and I am hoping to learn a good deal from everyone's hands on experience.

I have a semi idea of what I would like to build. I'd appreciate your input.

I picked 7mm Rem Mag for my round to shoot first. Specifically, Hornady 175 gr ELD-X but I would like to play with the heavier weights of Burgers rounds. I based it off of several factors. I didn't want a NATO round that would get sucked up by the Gov. in case of a major event. I wanted something that was easily found, in worse cases, at nearly any given Walmart. I also didn't want a round that was a US specific round. And then something that wasn't going to break the bank while still having good BC. For distance I want over 1000 and hopefully up to a mile if I can. I also wanted something between 300 and 500 ft lbs of energy at the farther reaches of its range. Which, the purpose is target and game. So, that is why I settled on the round. The rest of the build is less description, I promise.

I used Schmidt & Benders the 5-25 PMII scope at work and from what I have read it is pretty much top notch. So, why not. Although, we have the H37 reticle. And I have looked up the price tag.

Barrel I was thinking a 1:8 twist 5r 28inch bull barrel. I was looking at Kriegers.

Chassis, I might get flamed for this one. I'm not even sure it will work. But MagPuls Pro 700. I don't know if it will work because it says it is for Rem 700 Short action and obviously I have a LA. But I want a folding stock and like all the adjustability and the fact that it doesn't cost $1700. I'm open to suggestions.

For Bolt, I was looking at Defiance Deviant Action. Possibly with a 20MOA rail. But I haven't learned enough to make a comfortable estimate on that.

I think this covers the major components. There are still other things like the lower metal, scope rings, reloading kit, laser ranger finder, atmosphere data tools, etc that I will need. I plan on doing my calcs myself to learn, rather than the $800 kestrel or another. I plan on it being a big and heavy gun, I'm use to carrying weight around and it will help with the recoil. I'd like to avoid using a muzzle break.

I'm trying to stick closer to the $6000 price range than the $10000.

Very cool. I'm building almost the same thing. I'm issuing a Savage 110 action, I bought a Kreiger barrel blank (.284, 1:8.5 twist, SS, 5R, MTU profile) they have a couple more in their overstock of you are interested amd don't want to wait 7 months. I'll be clambering it myself. I'm also on the process of milling a billet aluminum stock for it as well. I picked up a Nightforce ATACR 5-25×56 scope (MOAR-T reticle). NF Ultramount and Atlas bi-pod. Post picks of your build, sounds cool.

That's pretty cool you can do that yourself.

I'll be sure to post up the progress as it comes a long. Thanks. I look forward to yours too and I will have to look into the barrel blanks. They might be a good solution for me.