• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building my first prs rifle.

jaybigboy34

Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
I already have an impact action. Thinking of going with a 6bra caliber. I would really like a setup that doesn't weight 20 lbs. My question is what stocks are available to keep weight down in the 12 to 15 lbs range. Thanks

Reactions: Ripdog28
my buddy built a rifle almost identical to mine but added stick on wheel weights in every nook and cranny in the buttstock and forend and got it to 20lbs.

so you can keep it light with an "empty" chassis, and fill it up to add weight later if you need to.

i'm only mentioning the bravo because it's the only stock i took a weight measurement on my rifle with. i don't know how much other stocks weigh.

the new MDT chassis you can buy weight kits and add more weight down the road if you want it heavier.

I would keep an open mind regarding weight. Last year when I got into PRS, I wanted a lighter rifle. No idea why in hindsight.

Myself among others seem to prefer a heavier rifle that balances well front to rear. Most folks I know are buying barrel contours and lengths specific to this goal.

I would encourage you to handle a few rifles before deciding. PRS folks love talking with new shooters and showing their gear choices in my experience.

My choice for PRS is MPA chassis, with weight kits to add some weight and more importantly balance my rigs. It's a very versatile chassis and #1 among PRS shooters using chassis by a wide margin. I have a 6 Creedmoor and 6 Dasher. Varying barrels, and the MPA weights allow all to balance.

If you prefer stocks, Foundation offers Impact 737 inlet, got one ordered myself to play with. Manners T4A are very popular and I've got one with Area 419 arca rail that offers some of the chassis adjustability in a stock. In either case, consider what barrel will balance the rifle.

Lots of choices, a bit if a double-edged sword for new competitors. We all have our own subtle preferences, hopefully you can identify yours sooner than later.

Dan

IMG_20180905_141542429_HDR.jpg

I'm not really offering any advice, just thinking out loud.

I've had/have some seriously heavy match rifles, one was just short of 20lbs and the other just short of 24 lbs.

Being a shortish and oldish guy, they are too heavy for positional for me, especially offhand, not too mention a bitch to haul around all day when considering the other gear one has to carry. Fatigue really sets in for me towards the end of the day.

What the heavy rifle excels at is they have less recoil upset which helps with self spotting, typically balance better or with a slightly forward bias, and they'll sit on a bag off an obstacle much steadier than a lighter rifle!

I just got a medium weight 6mmBR barrel for what was the 20lb rifle and put a lighter scope on it. I haven't weighed it but it's around 15 lbs now. I can hit stuff offhand again, lol - yay, I hit a 7" diamond 3 times in a row at 289Y two weeks ago which would have been impossible before! But the rifle doesn't sit as steady off a bag on an obstacle like it did beforehand.

I've been pondering detachable lead weight systems, and throwing overboard the non essentials out of my pack, heck even my pack without anything in it is too heavy so it might need to go. My chassis is an odd one so it's going to be a total custom proposition figuring how to go about it.

Thank you all for your advice. I think maybe the best option for me is to go mpa chassis and add weight to it if need be.

MPA offers so much innovation and versatility. Go to the website and look at the various barricade stops, RAT bipod slider, cow gate wedge clamps, magnettospeed adapter, and new Rat Tail. Along with weights to allow you to balance your rig, there is so much to like about MPA.

Dan
NC

I’ll echo the weight advise. I did the same thing. Went light at first and now I run in the 18-20lbs.

I think you’ll find 18lbs +/- is a good balance. Substantially less and you’ll have trouble staying in it. Substantially more and it will get a bit awkward to move around on obstacles.

Sure, there are outliers who use pretty light stuff and outliers that use very heavy stuff, but they are just that, outliers.

Earlier this year people we’re complaining when chassis would release and said they weighed too much. Now most are trying to go heavier.

Thank you all for your advice. I think maybe the best option for me is to go mpa chassis and add weight to it if need be.

Not a bad choice. FWIW my trainer rifle is MPA and a 26" Heavy Palma contour, I like that balance on barricades. My match rifle is MPA chassis with all the weight kits except bag rider, 6BRA in a MTU 27.5" barrel. Heavy gun, but good balance. I strongly prefer the heavy rifle for competition.

I'd go at least Heavy Palma or M24 contour for your barrel if you plan to start out with no weight kit.