• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building new 7mm rifle - Advice?

heathtx

I Hit some, I miss some
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
I have a trued 700Rem LA and am wanting to build a 7PRC for a fall 2023 hunt, but right now brass is very hard to get.. The barrel I already have is Proof Research and that has one important limitation., the Proof barrel has a breech length of 2.5". A steel barrel could likely be cut back 1/2" or so to rechamber.

I pulled up the SAAMI prints for 7WSM, 7 SAUM, 7PRC and 7mm Rem Mag and here is where I end up......
Building a 7WSM or 7mm SAUM now with intent to later convert barrel to 7 PRC does not work because the 7 WSM and 7SAUM case is larger than the 7PRC case.
Building a 7MM Rem Mag now and converting to 7PRC later can be done by removing about 0.300" from the chamber end of a barrel. This cuts out 0.200" of the belt recess and also leaves 0.100" to recut the throat.

Has anyone else looked into this and come up with a better migration path?

RCC brass makes the 7 prc brass already and can get dies from whidden.

That’s what I think also!
Haha don't shoot the messenger. Still would be cheaper than clambering your barrel buying all them components then having barrel set back and rechamber and then buying different components

I have a trued 700Rem LA and am wanting to build a 7PRC for a fall 2023 hunt, but right now brass is very hard to get.. The barrel I already have is Proof Research and that has one important limitation., the Proof barrel has a breech length of 2.5". A steel barrel could likely be cut back 1/2" or so to rechamber.

I pulled up the SAAMI prints for 7WSM, 7 SAUM, 7PRC and 7mm Rem Mag and here is where I end up......
Building a 7WSM or 7mm SAUM now with intent to later convert barrel to 7 PRC does not work because the 7 WSM and 7SAUM case is larger than the 7PRC case.
Building a 7MM Rem Mag now and converting to 7PRC later can be done by removing about 0.300" from the chamber end of a barrel. This cuts out 0.200" of the belt recess and also leaves 0.100" to recut the throat.

If you were my brother and came to me asking this question, here is what I would say:
If you want to be a <1000yd shooter, maybe some PRS stuff or just steel for fun, maybe you even want to go after the mile target from time to time, I'd say go find yourself a lightly used Ruger RPR or Tikka TACA1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. There's ammo everywhere, even in these crazy times, and you can afford to shoot mistakes because you will. It has great barrel life, too, and lots of reloading support.

If you want a gun that will ding the 2k, go find a lightly used 300 WM, 300 PRC, or something close in the form of a magnum RPR or Savage Precision that has good barrel life and a ubiquitous ammo availability. There's a bunch of components out there, bullets, brass, powders, and data, should you decide to get into reloading. Don't get down into the weeds until you know what you're looking for and at and that only happens with experience. Don't buy a SAUM and RCC brass, it'll drive you nuts when the new-guy enthusiasm is saying "I just wanna go shoot!" I'm trying to conclude a 7mm-6.5 PRC project (basically a SAUM w/ Lapua brass) wherein I'm converting 6.5 PRC brass to 7mm. It's a fun project, and I think it'll be a great shooter, but it's taken me nearly 2 years to get all the pieces to fit together. How much 300 WM could you shoot in 2 years?

Lastly, there are a lot of very smart people on here, it's why I spend so much time browsing. But for a new-entry, all that very smart information can overwhelm a guy into buying a $10k rifle in a unique caliber that he then has to spend $5k to reload and all before he takes a shot. Just go try the been-there, done-that cartridge first and learn...learn!

Oh, and you're looking at that R700 action likes it's going to be way cheaper to build up, it's not. Sell it or shelve it, but go buy you something you can start on. Do people generally build a car before they get their license? If you want to built it out that's up to you, but know going in that you're going to pay more doing it that way and in the end you'll have a R700 rifle. It won't resell that well because custom actions are way better and don't cost much more. At least sell that action and get you a LA Tenacity (or something similar) so that when you do want to sell it, and you will eventually, you'll come out better. I hope it helps, welcome to the last hobby you'll even want

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800

Any overbore magnum is going to burn your barrel up long before you can source your new components.
If this is mostly for hunting, build a rem mag. It will do everything you want, plus, there is plenty of factory ammo available.
There is plenty of good quality brass as well.
I understand the appeal of the PRC, but, if you handload, there is no advantage.

Really good advice, thank you all. I should have let y'all know the info below.

I shoot some steel and whitetails with a custom (Surgeon, Proof, Manners stock) 6.5X47L. It will shoot 140 bergers 0.5" to 800 yds and it's my favorite rifle. It has a NF 7-35 ATACR on it. When I put a Nosler Accubond in the round it will kill a deer handily.

The question about the 7PRC is for an elk hunt in 2023. It seems like the advice is 7mm Rem Mag. I have 2 Rem 700 Senderos now, will sell them both and fund a custom rifle build in 7mm Mag. I will have time to have a 'smith chamber and assemble barrel. I have another NF 7-35 ATACR to put on top. Instead of 2 factory Senderos, I will have 1 super accurate rifle.

Yes, I reload, so I can get components as I need them........

Thank you again!

Have no issue getting around .30 Moa 7mm rem mag krieger barrel trued 700. Take it out 2000 yards with Remington brass. Same boat have a new barrel waiting 7mm saum or 7mm prc brass might have to wait another year see how things are doing

I was in your exact shoes a year ago. Sitting on a long action, trying to decide which 7. Went Rem Mag throated for 180 Bergers and couldn't be happier. Get some ADG brass and you are set.

PXL_20221016_213350629.jpg

If you were my brother and came to me asking this question, here is what I would say:
If you want to be a <1000yd shooter, maybe some PRS stuff or just steel for fun, maybe you even want to go after the mile target from time to time, I'd say go find yourself a lightly used Ruger RPR or Tikka TACA1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. There's ammo everywhere, even in these crazy times, and you can afford to shoot mistakes because you will. It has great barrel life, too, and lots of reloading support.

If you want a gun that will ding the 2k, go find a lightly used 300 WM, 300 PRC, or something close in the form of a magnum RPR or Savage Precision that has good barrel life and a ubiquitous ammo availability. There's a bunch of components out there, bullets, brass, powders, and data, should you decide to get into reloading. Don't get down into the weeds until you know what you're looking for and at and that only happens with experience. Don't buy a SAUM and RCC brass, it'll drive you nuts when the new-guy enthusiasm is saying "I just wanna go shoot!" I'm trying to conclude a 7mm-6.5 PRC project (basically a SAUM w/ Lapua brass) wherein I'm converting 6.5 PRC brass to 7mm. It's a fun project, and I think it'll be a great shooter, but it's taken me nearly 2 years to get all the pieces to fit together. How much 300 WM could you shoot in 2 years?

Lastly, there are a lot of very smart people on here, it's why I spend so much time browsing. But for a new-entry, all that very smart information can overwhelm a guy into buying a $10k rifle in a unique caliber that he then has to spend $5k to reload and all before he takes a shot. Just go try the been-there, done-that cartridge first and learn...learn!

Oh, and you're looking at that R700 action likes it's going to be way cheaper to build up, it's not. Sell it or shelve it, but go buy you something you can start on. Do people generally build a car before they get their license? If you want to built it out that's up to you, but know going in that you're going to pay more doing it that way and in the end you'll have a R700 rifle. It won't resell that well because custom actions are way better and don't cost much more. At least sell that action and get you a LA Tenacity (or something similar) so that when you do want to sell it, and you will eventually, you'll come out better. I hope it helps, welcome to the last hobby you'll even want

Good advice.
Now you're gonna force me to bring my 7-mag on Wednesday.

We'll be there at the usual time and also plan on a little pistol shooting too.

Hope you can make it.

I shoot some steel and whitetails with a custom (Surgeon, Proof, Manners stock) 6.5X47L. It will shoot 140 bergers 0.5" to 800 yds and it's my favorite rifle. It has a NF 7-35 ATACR on it. When I put a Nosler Accubond in the round it will kill a deer handily.

The question about the 7PRC is for an elk hunt in 2023. It seems like the advice is 7mm Rem Mag. I have 2 Rem 700 Senderos now, will sell them both and fund a custom rifle build in 7mm Mag. I will have time to have a 'smith chamber and assemble barrel. I have another NF 7-35 ATACR to put on top. Instead of 2 factory Senderos, I will have 1 super accurate rifle.

Thank you again!
If it's an elk rifle I'd say go 28 nosler 300 win mag 300 prc have some extra punch. I like some extra boom on elk

Why not go with a 7mm-300prc? Lapua brass, simple one step neck down, and all the ass you could ever want to send heavy’s towards critters or steel.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Why not go with a 7mm-300prc? Lapua brass, simple one step neck down, and all the ass you could ever want to send heavy’s towards critters or steel.
You beat me to it.
I personally feel the 7 prc is a huge letdown, I asked a guy using the RCC brass what the capacity is and it's around 76 grains.
Hell a simple 7-300 wsm with ADG brass is 79 grains, and is a better case design.

I'd definitely build a 7-300 prc if using a LA, super simple to neck down with a 300 prc bushing die and there's Lapua brass

Reactions: Hondo1
7SS/Max/Mega/SM
28Nosler
7RM
7LRM

until there's ADG/Lapua brass i don't think i'd tough 7PRC unless i didn't mind shooting factory ammo (but i have way too many berger 195s for that)

Good advice.
Now you're gonna force me to bring my 7-mag on Wednesday.

We'll be there at the usual time and also plan on a little pistol shooting too.

Hope you can make it.
I was gonna try to make it but I have a group presentation with a couple of college kids at 1300 so it's a no-go. Unlike them, I actually prepare for such things.

Reactions: Digetydog

Thank you again!

If you buy an action that will take a prefit, many if not most will do so now, then you can put it together yourself. Order the action and trigger, spec the prefit barrel, put them together and put them in a stock or chassis, go shoot....

Reactions: Digetydog

Thank you again!
It's your build, but I would think about mounting a lighter scope for an elk hunt. I assume you will be doing a lot of walking in hilly terrain.

There are a lot of good hunting scopes out there that will save you a .5-1 full pound off that NF's 39+ ounces.

I just picked a couple at different price points.

On a tight budget, Meopta's are hard to beat. They have more expensive lines as well.

Last edited:
Curious, why does the Weatherby 7 mag get no love?
If you’re talking about a 7prc the 7bee is ballistically Identical and brass is available. More expensive than 7win mag but you can use any of the bee mag brass under the 300 stuff with a simple neck sizing.
I guess I ask because I just bought a used mark V and my thinking is just rebarrel with an 8 twist and it will compete with any 7 caliber on the market.
Ignoring the 28 nosler of course.

Curious, why does the Weatherby 7 mag get no love?
If you’re talking about a 7prc the 7bee is ballistically Identical and brass is available. More expensive than 7win mag but you can use any of the bee mag brass under the 300 stuff with a simple neck sizing.
I guess I ask because I just bought a used mark V and my thinking is just rebarrel with an 8 twist and it will compete with any 7 caliber on the market.
Ignoring the 28 nosler of course.

For me, I don't consider any Weatherby cartridge because the cost of rifle (vs similar models) cost is high and the ammo/brass is insanely expensive. To me, buying a rifle with a Weatherby cartridge is like volunteering to have them gouge you.

Last edited:
Is a Weatherby any more expensive than other quality rifles?
The ammo is for sure when you’re considering common caliber ammo.
If however you’re shooting long range steel or big game hunting trip, then you’re spending shit tons of money anyway.
You can buy a new low end bee for what you spend on an Xbolt. Any body ever complain about the quality of their Weatherby rifle? Not too many out there is my guess.
Anyway, I was asking about why the 7mm Bee wasn’t being considered by the posters in this thread because of the excellent ballistics of the round for my own education on the subject.
But I didn’t consider that the op is working with a REM action that may not be compatible with the Bee.