• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

building new rifle ,what caliber?

Cbostick

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
Indiana
building new rifle for out to a thousand yards what caliber caliber would you suggest 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47 Lapua

If those are the two choices you're between, I would say (having no personal experience with a x47) a creed. You can get Lapua brass for either one, making that a moot point, but with the creed if you are feeling lazy you can go down to the store and pick up some quality factory match ammo for ~$1 a round instead of loading. American Gunner is all of $0.70 at Sportsman's.

reload? take your pick. both have lapua brass. 6.5 Creed also has alpha and peterson though

factory? 6.5 creed all day

Ok since i crapped on this thread I'll actially offer a tiny amount of useful info.
It doesnt matter its all if youhand load or buy ammo. Creed has factory available cheaper. X47 has shown me to be slightly more accurate IN BENCHREST. I personally like x47 better than Creed because I think the longer neck helps with barrel life and the sharper shoulder helps with brass life.
You choice beyond that and both will be nearly identical on target.

You couldn't make a bad choice with either. The previous reply is incorrect about the shoulder angle though, they are both 30 degree shoulders. The 6.5x47L neck is longer but only by about .040" which isn't a whole lot, they both have pretty long necks.

The advantage I see to 6.5x47L is how well it works with Varget. It's hard to get it to not shoot it seems, and will still work with H4350. This is an advantage to me because the 4 main calibers I shoot all use the same powder and primers now. You can still use Varget in 6.5 Creedmoor but is getting kinda fast for it's capacity with the 130's and 140's.

The advantage to Creedmoor is more brass availability, and factory ammo. There's factory ammo for the lapua but it's basically twice the price, but it's also way better ammo than most of the Creemoor options. After running factory Hornady ammo at a match... never again, I'll load so that's a moot point to me. I will give the Creedmoor the nod for brass though with the Starline that's on the market for $.50/pc that's every bit as good as the Lapua, but when you consider how long high quality brass last if you aren't oversizing it, and anneal when its time it adds up to a few cents difference per firing and I'm not going to let that be the deciding factor for me.

I believe they're a wash and I've gotten stellar performance from many 6.5 Creedmoors and my new 6.5x47L is also performing beautifully, but, you also can't ignore the BR records. 6.5x47L has set a few and I'm not aware of any set with a creed.

Both are excellent but if you ever decide to sell the rifle the Creedmoor will be easier to sell.

Redneck- you are 100% correct on the shoulder angel. Thanks for the catch. Been reading about 6mm rem AI and think I just transposed it in my brain. Thanks for catching my mistake and stopping the propagation of incorrect info.

thank you for the replies, I've been wondering how the Starline brass is haven't tried it yet. So far I've used Hornady brass mostly , I do have some Lapua. It is nice but a little pricey.

thank you for the replies, I've been wondering how the Starline brass is haven't tried it yet. So far I've used Hornady brass mostly , I do have some Lapua. It is nice but a little pricey.

If you look in the reloading section you'll see a thread I posted a couple months back where I weighed and measured a batch of Starline 6.5 Creedmoor small primer brass that I got. You'll probably have to go back a few pages to find it, but the results are pretty impressive to say the least.

Redneck- you are 100% correct on the shoulder angel. Thanks for the catch. Been reading about 6mm rem AI and think I just transposed it in my brain. Thanks for catching my mistake and stopping the propagation of incorrect info.

That AI is a super sharp shoulder and straight case. Very sexy case.

I have Starline brass for my 308 and have loaded up about 400 pieces of 223 with it. Only the 308 has actually been fired, once. It loaded easily, reloaded without hiccups, and the ammunition shot well.

That's not much to go on; but for me, it's enough.

The CM's sharper shoulder and longer neck has theoretical advantage for bore life, but it's not such a big issue unless one drives the poor beasts hard enough to burn throats. The 260 has more case capacity, and therefore should either A) go faster, or B) go the same speed with less mayhem in the engine room. I shoot the 260 in a longer (28") barrel and do not feel any need to hot rod the chambering. In any case, they both work well, and I made my choice over 15 years ago, when there actually wasn't a choice; except maybe the 260 vs the 6.5x55, which is also a pretty good choice, but not so much for a short action.

Greg

Last edited:
I was looking at the 6.5 X 47L, but decided to go with the .260 Rem as my shooting partner already had one.

Didn't want a Creedmoor.

Couldn't be happier with my choice. The .260 Rem won my partner and I a Provincial Open Class Team Championship and overall Top Team...... ;)