• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Building new rifle,What to use ?

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
I am looking at the Stiller and Pierce rifle actions to build a mid range .223 match rifle, Warner Rear sight and a Right Sight up front. Anyone with experience on either of these actions ? I know there are several to choose from but I would prefer to use a 700 rem footprint. I already have a stock (Robertson Composite H-H) I am in Afg. for several more months, so I am not in any big hurry. Yes this rifle is being built for my new VLD .224 projos.

Re: Building new rifle,What to use ?

You cant go wrong with a Stiller Action. I have one for a 308 and 300 WSM. One is barreled with a Bartlein and the other has a Rock. Both rifles shoot under 1/4 inch when I do my part.

I'm running a Surgeon 591 on a .308 and a Borden Alpine on a .223AI. The Borden feels a little tighter but both are nice. Either is highly recommended as would a Borden Rimrock if wanting a one piece bolt.

Borden and Defiance,both feel a lot nicer than a stiller!

Well, I decided to go with a Stiller. They are in stock and ready to ship. Master class has my stock inletted and Rock creek has a barrel for me, now everything gets sent to John Whidden to put it together. Going with a PTG Match chamber. Thanks ! Mike

Good choice. The price doesn't reflect just how nice they are. I'm sure you'll be pleased once you get it put together.