• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building of a new 223 Rifle

K9067

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2020
Canada
Brand New to this one! I have never done this before but considering building my first own 223. I would like to build something that I can not only take to the range every weekend and shoot approx 100 rounds or so through it. But also take it coyote hunting if I like as well. Not looking to compete at any level in competition shooting. Interested in anyone professional opinions in putting together a nice build from the stock up! Or am I better to just purchase a factory one? I will be shooting 55 grain bullets through it. Am I better to go with a 1:8 or 1:10 or 1:12 twist? Ideas! SEND IT! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Build a Creedmoor unless you have a LOT of match 308 rounds or reloading components laying around already.

I also wouldn't build one. It takes a long time and costs a lot of money. I would also ask around or check the "For Sale" section of the forum, there are plenty of guys wanting to free up cash for other things and they would likely be willing to let their old .308s go for a good price. As a bonus, they already have load data for those rifles most of the time.

My 2 cents.

Buddy picked up a Rem 700 and .223 criterion barrel from NSS and put it in an MPA chassis. His whole family loves to shoot it.

It isn't hard. That's a simple pick.

What's your budget?

Reactions: bunsen27
I recently did this. Debatable whether you could get something factory that is as customizable or you could grow into another barreled action.

$400 Remington 700 .223 varmint 1:9 twist barreled action
$350 KRG Bravo chassis
$150 Triggertech Primary
$350 Vortex Diamondback and rings
$200 Atlas bipod
$120 MDT 223 mags

Total around $1500

Great for 55gr target and varmint rounds but not enough twist to stabilize heavier long range bullets.

Bighorn origin-825
Krg bravo-350
Triggertech special-175
Nss criterion or pbb-450ish. That's if 1500-1800 is just rifle. Otherwise I'd do what twitch suggested

Build, or buy?
Seems like mission/budget/preference are the deciders.

Well being new to this building thing.Instead of just buying factory is completely foreign to me. I’m interested in building a new one but some of the discussion is like Chinese to me so I now find myself doing lots of research.! Lol But extremely interested in having a sweet shooting 223 rifle that I can take to the range and still wax some coyotes. Lots of ideas. But may have to pick some people’s brain for assistance. Especially myself being in Canada it’s harder to get our hands on a lot of gun parts than it is within the USA. Also I will be shooting 55 grain bullets through it. I will mainly be shooting 55 grain rounds so am I better to go with a 1:8 1:10 or 1:12 twist ?

Last edited:
You didn't say if your $15-1800 budget included an optic or not, that makes a big difference.

Either way, here's what I did.

-Remington 700 adl tactical $350
-Hs precision stock (takeoff from my 5r gen 2 that I put a kmw loggerhead in and a magpul aics dbm) - I would just drop it in a krg bravo to match my 308 if starting over
-Still running the factory trigger but I want a triggertech for it
-Swfa fixed 16x scope but that's cause I already had it but I wish it had a better scope.

Total cost for me was the gun because I had everything else laying around from other guns that had upgraded. Now I shoot that 223 more than any other bolt gun I own so I guess I did something wrong and should probably shuffle parts....

On a side note I just picked up a leupold vx3i lrp 4.5-14x50 and I think it's the best scope I've ever had in the $600 price range. It's got enough power to match the useful range of a 223 and its light enough to be a double duty scope on a hunting rig.

For budget and weight conscious builds you can't say krg bravo enough times. The factory remington trigger is good enough to get a rifle going for a while especially when you void the warranty and pick the glue out of the screws then adjust it. My super cheap adl tactical in its current state is an honest 1 moa gun but not better, it could be made to be better but when I'm playing with barricades in my yard I can't blame the gun for most misses.

Check out the ultimatum defacto barreled action. For 1k they look like a really good bang for your buck option. Stiller makes great stuff, lone peak is also spectacular. There are tons of action options if your going the custom action route. Bighorn origins get all the guys on here hard because they're great but they're not the only custom action out there, hell the gunwerks grb is an option for the same price.

Bighorn origins get all the guys on here hard because they're great but they're not the only custom action out there, hell the gunwerks grb is an option for the same price.

It's because their features/quality/flexibility is unmatched for the price.

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
If you actually want to build, don't forget the cost of tools/go/no go guages. $1500-$1800 is a tight window for a custom build. Being in Canada doesn't help either.

In your situation, I think a Tikka T3X Varmint or Tikka T3X CTR in .223 would be a solid option. You could throw it in a stock of your choice with the remaining budget.

Edit: Make sure you are leaving enough for a proper optic too. If not I would get a cheaper factory rifle and allocate more for the optic if necessary.

OP If your budget allows go with the Origin barreled action. Whichever barrel maker you go with I highly recommend you choose a 223 Wylde chambering with a twist of at least 1 in 8" possibly 1 in 7". I would not go 1 in 9" UNLESS you only want to shoot lighter bullets.

I built my Remage in Spring 2018 with a 26" 1 in 8" twist barrel and it will shoot 55/69/73/75/77 very well. Due to my low elevation 80's were a bit iffy.

My go to critter load for Pdogs and Woodchucks has been the 73gr ELD-M over 25.2gr of TAC in an LC case lit by a CCI 43. With the bullet seated out to 2.540in (MDT polymer mags) it will be leaving the muzzle just above 3k fps. I have not yet had the opportunity to try this on a coyote, but it should be quite lethal.

As for scopes CameralandNY still has some of the Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHI scopes for $750.

CV
If you actually want to build, don't forget the cost of tools/go/no go guages. $1500-$1800 is a tight window for a custom build. Being in Canada doesn't help either.

In your situation, I think a Tikka T3X Varmint or Tikka T3X CTR in .223 would be a solid option. You could throw it in a stock of your choice with the remaining budget.

Edit: Make sure you are leaving enough for a proper optic too. If not I would get a cheaper factory rifle and allocate more for the optic if necessary.
I already have Viper PST Gen II 4-25x50 to put on it. But appreciate you idea - opinion

Reactions: Harman117
CV

I already have Viper PST Gen II 4-25x50 to put on it. But appreciate you idea - opinion
If I went with the T3X CTR in the 223 should I go with the 1:8 with a 508 mm barrel or 1:12 twist with a 610 mm barrel? Can I also add a custom trigger to it down the road and if so which would be the best? Your thoughts?

If I went with the T3X CTR in the 223 should I go with the 1:8 with a 508 mm barrel or 1:12 twist with a 610 mm barrel? Can I also add a custom trigger to it down the road and if so which would be the best? Your thoughts?
8 twist absolutely

tikka doesnt need a new trigger. just a $10 yo-dave spring if you want lighter

CTR in a bravo is a good choice if you dont want to build the origin like others suggester

Reactions: Memberberries
If you're going to be shooting 55 gr. exclusively, stay with 1:12 barrel.
A 1:8 might work your loads but I've never had any luck with fast twist and light (short) bullets.

OP If your budget allows go with the Origin barreled action. Whichever barrel maker you go with I highly recommend you choose a 223 Wylde chambering with a twist of at least 1 in 8" possibly 1 in 7". I would not go 1 in 9" UNLESS you only want to shoot lighter bullets.

I built my Remage in Spring 2018 with a 26" 1 in 8" twist barrel and it will shoot 55/69/73/75/77 very well. Due to my low elevation 80's were a bit iffy.

My go to critter load for Pdogs and Woodchucks has been the 73gr ELD-M over 25.2gr of TAC in an LC case lit by a CCI 43. With the bullet seated out to 2.540in (MDT polymer mags) it will be leaving the muzzle just above 3k fps. I have not yet had the opportunity to try this on a coyote, but it should be quite lethal.

As for scopes CameralandNY still has some of the Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHI scopes for $750.
Thank You very much for your informative input. Greatly Apprexiated

The answer will depend on your intended use.

If you want to shoot the lighter/shorter bullets (40-55 grain) then the 1-12 is better suited for those bullets.

If you want to shoot the heavier/longer bullets, that have a higher BC, then the 1-8 will be better at that.

The difference in barrel length is not that big of a deal. If you want to increase your bullet velocity, go longer. If you'd rather have a shorter, more maneuverable rifle go shorter. You won't notice to much of a difference with either one.

Here is my most recent Tikka project. A stainless T3X CTR (.223) in a GRS stock. I went with the longer barrel in 1-8 twist as my goal is to fire the highest BC bullets at the highest velocity. Hope this helps.

PXL_20201028_220150544.jpg

Edit: Like said above, Tikka doesn't really need an aftermarket trigger. They are very good from the factory, and a $10 spring can help to lower the pull weight if you want. There are a few aftermarket triggers if you wanted to go that route.

If you're going to be shooting 55 gr. exclusively, stay with 1:12 barrel.
A 1:8 might work your loads but I've never had any luck with fast twist and light (short) bullets.
I plan on using 55 grain ammo at the range for target shooting but heavy ammo for Coyotes?

If you want to shoot the lighter/shorter bullets (40-55 grain) then the 1-12 is better suited for those bullets.

If you want to shoot the heavier/longer bullets, that have a higher BC, then the 1-8 will be better at that.

The difference in barrel length is not that big of a deal. If you want to increase your bullet velocity, go longer. If you'd rather have a shorter, more maneuverable rifle go shorter. You won't notice to much of a difference with either one.

Here is my most recent Tikka project. A stainless T3X CTR (.223) in a GRS stock. I went with the longer barrel in 1-8 twist as my goal is to fire the highest BC bullets at the highest velocity. Hope this helps.

View attachment 7502351

Edit: Like said above, Tikka doesn't really need an aftermarket trigger. They are very good from the factory, and a $10 spring can help to lower the pull weight if you want. There are a few aftermarket triggers if you wanted to go that route.
That’s a Mac Daddy looking build! SWEET!

Depends on your budget.
There are many options available, since you are shooting lighter bullets, a 1-12 will suffice, but I'd recommend a 1-9, just so you're covered up to 69 grains or so.
You are going to be hard pressed to find ANYTHING available now.
Howa mini-action chassis rifle
Howa 1500
Tikka
Savage
Mossberg actually has a chassis rifle out with a 1-7 twist.

View attachment 7502351

Would you be willing to tell me what all pieces that you have there? That looks like something I would like to build up here in Canada. Of course depending being able to purchase the parts as some US companies will not sell or ship to Canada unfortunately!

Yeah, absolutely! There's honestly not a lot of pieces involved.

- Stainless Steel Tikka T3X CTR (.223 Rem, 24" length barrel, and 1-8 twist)

- GRS Sporter stock, inleted for the Tikka CTR. My color is "Black", but they changed their colors around so the closest color now is "Nordic Wolf"

- GRS height adjustable buttpad (allows the buttpad to adjust up or down)

That's actually everything, right there. GRS recommends bedding all their stocks so I'm going to drop off the rifle on Monday for bedding.
PXL_20201028_220307181.jpg

Reactions: K9067
I just built one a while back
Trued 700 action from NSS
Criterion 26" Varmint contour 1-7twist from NSS Rem Match chamber
TT Special
KRG Bravo
This was in the same budget you have.

There is a very nice 223 build in the PX in a Manners stock for only a little more.

I just built one a while back
Trued 700 action from NSS
Criterion 26" Varmint contour 1-7twist from NSS Rem Match chamber
TT Special
KRG Bravo
This was in the same budget you have.

There is a very nice 223 build in the PX in a Manners stock for only a little more.
Thank you very much for your time spent explaining to me and showing me your Mac Daddy set setup !

I acquired a MDT XRS and 4 mags for 223 so that mone is spent. Just need a barreled action. Custom are pricey for me and a local shop has a R700 SPS 223 Varmint for $600. I'm fine with 60gr or less. Plan on having it cut back and threaded 5/8×24 to suppress. Is there another option for the gun at a better price anywhere?

I bought a 700 adl tactical in 223 with a 24" threaded 1:8 twist barrel for a little over half that new. Unfortunately it is hard to find a Remington right now since Remington got sold at the bankruptcy sale and is waiting on their new FFL so they haven't made guns for the last several months.

I wouldn't recommend a slow twist barrel if you want to go short. Dig around and see if you can find one with the twist rate you really want because they're out there and if you buy a $600 gun to save $500 over a custom you really don't want to spend the $500 next year on the barrel you wished you bought the first time.

I've looked everywhere and as I can see the 600 isnt to bad. Better prices can be had but not often here in mid ND. Everything is a couple hours from my place. That and sometimes I get impatient

Reactions: Memberberries