• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Building on Rem Titanium reciever??

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
I came accross an older Rem 700 Ti Mountain rifle several year back that was missing the bolt.
Im thinking seriously about having a new light weight hunting rig built and figured this would be a good base.

After doing some checking it seems that these actions were made by a company for remington and were CNC'd and suposedly dont require any "blueprinting"

Has anybody built on one of these and can atest to them being true

Re: Building on Rem Titanium reciever??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you consider selling it? </div></div>

Id prefer to build on it , I have the craving for a light weight 30-06 Ackley to replace the one Delta airlines lost years ago but want somthing a bit lighter.
And they are getting harder to come by

Have it checked to see if it's true but I've heard the rumor as well a number of times. I'd love to know if it was true.

If the 'smith feels the need to cut on it, make sure he's got experience cutting Ti. It is not anything like cutting SS or CM or AL. Carbide insert tooling or solid carbide is a necessity.

Flood cool, don't let it get hot at all or it's screwed. All kinds of stuff.

It would be a cool build. Good luck with what you find, can you update this thread as you progress? I'd like to hear what you find on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you consider selling it? </div></div>

Id prefer to build on it , I have the craving for a light weight 30-06 Ackley to replace the one Delta airlines lost years ago but want somthing a bit lighter.
And they are getting harder to come by </div></div>

Just fishing. Wouldn't mind getting another one one day, not like I have time to do any shooting these days.I have one and have built several rifles on them. Good receivers. Remington didn't have anything to do with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remington didn't have anything to do with them. </div></div>

Who built them?

If Dave Tooley is wanting to buy it I don't think you need to worry about the quality of the action.

I built a mountain rifle out of one of these actions last year in 280AI, the action was not trued since the Smith wasn't familiar with cutting Ti. So far it's been really accurate for such a light rifle, my case forming loads are grouping under .5 MOA.

JJ, the good news is they had a steel bolt anyway, so you can get a fluted PTG bolt and you aren't losing anything over the original. You could even find a factory bolt and have someone do a whiz bang fluting job on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came accross an older Rem 700 Ti Mountain rifle several year back that was missing the bolt.
Im thinking seriously about having a new light weight hunting rig built and figured this would be a good base.

After doing some checking it seems that these actions were made by a company for remington and were CNC'd and suposedly dont require any "blueprinting"

Has anybody built on one of these and can atest to them being true </div></div>

I've built on the TI M700. Two guns. Both were tuned up at the insistence of the owners.

On both occassions I converted the fire control to one of my "smooth action" units. What it does is setup the fire control as a cock on open only. This way the loading on the lug surfaces is kept to a minimum. Especially on the edge of the ramps/flats on the receiver.

TI is a very strong material and light weight. A challenge with it though is the hardness and lubricity. It's not known as a "slick" material. Because of this I made new fire controls to try and manage the lug loading. Seems to have worked as both guns are used reasonably hard and they have held up well.

Good luck on your project.

C.

I've been debating having my action, but not the bolt, coated with Ion Bond to reduce the potential of the Ti to gall on the bearing surfaces and to smooth up the bolt travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remington didn't have anything to do with them. </div></div>

Who built them?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=X-Treme%20Ti</div></div>

this is the guy i met at TVP, he IS THE GUY that built these for Rem....

I've got an Alaskan Ti in 25-06 I bought new, I think it is the only rifle I have that I've done nothing to except adjust the trigger. I like it, I know the Alaskan Ti isn't as loved as the 1st Gen but for what it is, it makes for a fine antelope rifle.