• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Built a budget Appleseed rifle this weekend (LONG)

Donut

Critical Thinker
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Earlier this year I bought a Marlin 795 on sale, and tossed a cheap BSA 3-9 on it. That combo didn't really do it for me, so I decided to build a little "trainer" rifle so I can inexpensively try my hand at those Appleseed shoots.

One of my main complaints with the stock was the molded checkering. It felt like ass. Since that needed to be filled in, I figured what better way to learn how to texture a stock than by trying it while I was at it:

<span style="font-weight: bold">The stock checkering:</span>
IMG_0751.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Taping the stock off:</span>
IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

The first round I used DevCon's H2Hold (because I had some in a drawer) - Epic fail. It peeled right off like I had sprayed the stock with mold release. So I ran to Home Depot and grabbed some LocTite Metal Epoxy. Using the DIY from R+D Precision, the LocTite stuff did the trick.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Since the stock and epoxy were two different shades, some paint was in order. I had some matte black DuraCoat in a drawer, but that's a little plain. It was time for some Krylon.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">My awesome paint hanging system - the owl provided overwatch for the painting portion of the operation...</span>
IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Re: Built a budget Appleseed rifle this weekend (LONG)

Once I put something like five or six coats of OD Krylon on the stock 15-30 minutes apart, it needed some clear. I didn't want it to be glossy, so I grabbed some matte clear from a buddy of mine (read: I don't know where to buy it) and laid three coats:

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

So, while that was all drying, I went inside to mount up the set of Tech Sights I ordered. They provide a sight picture almost-identical to that of an AR, and add 5-5/8 inches to the original Marlin's sight radius. One screw for the front sight and then a standard dovetail mount in the rear was all the mounting required - It took maybe 5 minutes.

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Since I still had time before everything was dry, I ran to Wally World and grabbed an inexpensive adjustable 1-1/4-inch sling that had swivels for $16 (Super Sling 2+ in black: http://www.outdoorconnectiononline.com/products.asp?cat=1 )This morning I put everything back together and I think I'm in love. Hopefully it'll shoot halfway decent.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Looks good. It always makes you feel good when you do something like that yourself doesn't it? You will have to let us know how it shoots with that sight set up. Where did you get them? I would be interested in some myself.

Phil - The sights come from here: www.tech-sights.com. They arrived in what has to be record time for the USPS. I ordered on Tuesday morning, and they were in my hands Friday afternoon.

S4D - Thanks! I'm happy with the final finish that provided, so I'll probably need to get some more for other projects.
smile.gif

Good job Donut! What did you clean the stock with before applying the epoxy & then painting the stock? Appleseed is a great program. If you have never been, you're going to enjoy yourself. You are gonna' give us a range report, aren't ya'?

I rubbed it down with 50% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and gave it ample time to dry.

I'm going to stop by the range after work tomorrow, and then probably take it out for an extended day at the range on Thursday.
smile.gif

Stopped by the indoor range on my way home from work tonight.

All of these were shot standing w/sling (except for the last two on the Appleseed target) at 15yds with bulk Remington ammo. The first two are one-inch squares, the multi-dot target is 1/2" center in a 3" dot:

Target1-1.jpg

Target2-1.jpg

dots.jpg

AQT.jpg

Pretty good Donut! did you shoot the last two Appleseed targets kneeling & prone? Appleseeds are shot at 25 meters, or 27 yds. Looks like you will be good to go. What ammo will you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty good Donut! did you shoot the last two Appleseed targets kneeling & prone? Appleseeds are shot at 25 meters, or 27 yds. Looks like you will be good to go. What ammo will you use? </div></div>

Kinda. For the Kneeling, I bent over and put one elbow on the little shooting shelf, and for prone I put both elbows on the shelf. It was slow enough at the range that I probably could have gotten on the deck without getting in the way, but I wasn't exactly in activewear. LOL

I think For the Appleseed shoot, I'll be using some 40gr American Eagle I have. Not the best, but better than the bulk stuff.

Yep, pretty good. I definitely am going to have to get a set of those sights to try out. I bet the rifle is a blast to shoot. It proves you don't have to have a $1,0000 rifle to have fun and shoot good to.