• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Built in MOA in Action Different than in Forend - PVS30 Mounting Question

UNRL Ghandi

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
Maryland
Maybe a dumb question due to inexperience, but trying to wrap my head around this...I just bought a used Surgeon Remedy .338 LM with 30 MOA built into the action. The forend of the Accuracy International AX chassis on it now is keymod without any top rail sections and I want to swap it for the one Mile High sells that has MLOK, full pic rail on top, and RRS dovetail on the bottom. That forend has 20 MOA built into the top rail. Additionally I was looking at the ARC M-Brace scope mount and thought, "Well what happens if I get built in MOA in the scope mount too?"

With all these built in MOA adjustments in the mounts/rails, am I going to mess up anything optically between my day scope and clip-on PVS30 if the action is 30 MOA, forend is 20 MOA and scope mount is 0 or 20 MOA? Or is it as simple as throwing on the clip-on and making sure it shoots straight? In my head I'm thinking the action and forend need to match and the scope mount should be 0 MOA for everything to align properly...but I don't know.

I've wondered about this myself. Seems that the scope is just picking up the image a couple inches in front of it, so ther than the initial POI shift, should be pretty straight forward. But I don't have such nice toys, so I can't prove it.

To clarify, I think that without touching the turrets it will impact low, because the NV is looking in a less inclined direction

All accounts I’ve heard say it doesn’t matter as much with the PVS30 (27’s and others have a different collimator that is more sensitive). That said, I’ve not tried it with mine yet (only 20 MOA difference).

I’ve considered an MBRACE that has the opposite elevation to see the optics as close to parallel as possible. It’s my understanding issues arise at the extremes. Someone on here has literally held a PVS30 in front of a scope not attached to the rail and the guy running the rifle still made hits with no adjustments.