• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Built my own steel target... (UPDATED-TESTED)

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
I love shooting steel (like who doesn't?) and enjoy building things so I decided to make my own steel target for desert shoots.

My mission was to create a hard steel target that was self-standing, could break down to easily fit in my car/truck and take a beating from either pistol/carbine/rifle.

First, I bought a A500 hardened plate cut to 2/3 IPSC dimensions from Artnzen Steel

Then picked up some scrap square steel tubing from the local steel supply place. I didn't have plans, simply eyeballed the lengths and made it up as I went along. I have seen a bunch of designs but the hard part was I had to find materials that didn't need a lot of cutting/machining since I don't have a metal shop. (yet)

Simpler was better, so I drew up some plans for the material I had:

Welding_plans.jpg

The two longest rails on the outside are 3 feet long and the two rails in the middle are 2 feet each with a thicker and heavier steel square tube in the center to support the main target shaft.

With my rough plans and steel in hand and very little knowledge about mig welding, I rented a Miller 135 Mig welder from a local supplier.

L1050036.jpg

Laid out the basic shape of my tube:

L1050035.jpg

Got the wire and gas set up and ran a few test beads... boring! So jumped right into my project. Man I have to give props to all the welders out there--- it takes some serious skill!! I blew so many holes in the tubes, they looked like a flute.

L1050040.jpg

L1050041.jpg

Yeah I know the welds are ugly, I'm pretty sure our local welder's job is safe from me making a career change. After some of the triple beaded mountains I created, a little grinding was in order:

L1050064.jpg

L1050045.jpg

L1050048.jpg

And whammo, my stand was together!

L1050044.jpg

Re: Built my own steel target... (DIY-Pic heavy)

After the stand was all together, I moved on to what I think will be the hardest part-- getting a solid weld on the A500 to the backing. My since I'm running a wimpy 135 Mig, I crank up the power to 10 and wire speed to 40 and RIP IT...

L1050065.jpg

L1050071.jpg

It took a bunch of passes back and forth to get anything that even looks like it might hold... and I'm not convinced yet that it will.

L1050086.jpg

L1050073.jpg

L1050077.jpg

After completing the stand and the target, I cut the main shaft to length (4') and hand-drilled (not very straight btw) bolts through for added support and anti-twisting.

L1050085.jpg

L1050083.jpg

Then comes the de-greasing the metal and paint. Using MPro7 I wiped all the metal down.

L1050088.jpg

Then gave a light dusting of black enamel to the main base frame, shaft and back of the target:

L1050089.jpg

L1050096.jpg

Gave her about 4 light coats and let 'er dry for the night.

The next morning the paint was dry to the touch so I put her together:

target-1.jpg

L1050116.jpg

The A500 plate came with a hole in it, my guess it to hang it. Since I'm not positive the weld will hold, I decided to put a bolt through it as backup.

L1050118.jpg

L1050119.jpg

L1050120.jpg

One last note: to prevent the main center shaft from slipping through the target holder, I welded a small piece of rebar into it cross-wise. I did the same on the bottom of the stand holder too.

L1050124.jpg

I really dig my new target, will be going out tomorrow to test her out. If I learned anything from my experience it is 1. Professional welders rock. and 2. Kurt from LV Shooters has amazing prices for the amount of work that goes into these things.

What I spent:

A500 Target: $80+ shipping ($30?)
Steel tubing: $40
Mig Rental: $65
Spray Paint: $22
Bolts: $3
Gatorade: $6

Total ~ $246 plus 6 hours of sweating it out in the garage (priceless) Loving every minute of it!

Enjoy. Let me know if you are making one and have any questions.

L1050121.jpg

Went to the desert today and did some testing of my new A500 steel target. The results surprised me a little bit since I heard from many people/friends that my welds wouldn't hold and more importantly, the A500 integrity was compromised by welding the backing to it.

Well good news... there was no significant loss of hardening and the main weld held through the entire test.
cool.gif

We started with the clean, foxy-looking silhouette I put together:

L1050133.jpg

First ran some 9mm and .45 ACP at 20 yards...

anth_9mm.jpg

No problem!

45_cu.jpg

Then we moved back to 25 yards and ran some .223 factory rounds... no real damage at all, just really small dings.

223_hits3.jpg

223_hit_cu.jpg

The most damage we could see was stress cracks on the paint of the rear weld. It was hard to tell if they were superficical or deep, either way the weld held.

stresscracks2.jpg

Then came the real test... .308 at 100 yards:

308_me.jpg

Three hits in the center and one upper left....

208_hits.jpg

If you ran your finger over them it was barely bumpy, no real damage!

308hitscu.jpg

Nice! Let's go shoot it! I've still got the two 17x10" reactive targets I got from Kurt, which are a real challenge to shoot at ELR distances.

With your target, I'm thinking it might be wise to either drill some holes in the front of the legs to bolt it down or cut the center beam in half so that the target doesn't sit up so high and wobble less when hit.

Nice going!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With your target, I'm thinking it might be wise to either drill some holes in the front of the legs to bolt it down or cut the center beam in half so that the target doesn't sit up so high and wobble less when hit. </div></div>

Good point. Stakes are in order. I didn't think it would rock too much with .223 maybe some with a .308... it will be interesting to find out.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of my .338LM and .408 Cheytac
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I was thinking more along the lines of my .338LM and .408 Cheytac
wink.gif
</div></div>

You better not! hah ha. I wonder why you would be thinking that.
whistle.gif

One note to anyone who is thinking about welding their own A500 targets, welding is obviously a very hot process and high heat will mess with the tempering of hardened steel.

So please keep in mind if you weld pieces directly to the A500 plate, you will most likely be knocking the hardening down significantly at the weld sites. I have no idea how much my plate may have changed... I guess we'll all find out tomorrow!

yee+haw!

Hello, When you get ready to weld the A500 to your post, warm it up just warm enough, you can not keep your hand on it. That way it will not affect the steel, and we hold a lot better. One way to do this, after you make all the part, is warm the plate on the BBQ. Already have all your layout done, then set on your post and tack it, on both sides, both ends. Then you got a handle to get it off the BBQ with. Then weld it out while it is still hot.

M.45, looks like you were feeding too much wire. I like to starve the puddle a little, and it looks a lot better. You might try pushing your puddle, instead of pulling it.

If you find you are knocking it over with too much gun, when you build it, move your post a couple inches forward, will make a big difference in how it stands.

Your target looks great but now I am gonna tell you how to make it more portable. Where you have welded your tube on the back of your target. I welded a top on my tube so that I can take a regulare old t post used for agriculture fencing and drive with the target itself. You can take your target and a t post either full length or cut them off and go shooting. I have 6 of these built like I described and works like a champ. I think your target looks great and your welding looks good and the stand and all. Not taking anything away from what you have done. Just wanted to give you some more ideas on how to move and position them easier. Doesn't mater if the ground is flat or uneven or what ever.
Good job,
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your target looks great but now I am gonna tell you how to make it more portable. Where you have welded your tube on the back of your target. I welded a top on my tube so that I can take a regulare old t post used for agriculture fencing and drive with the target itself. You can take your target and a t post either full length or cut them off and go shooting. I have 6 of these built like I described and works like a champ. I think your target looks great and your welding looks good and the stand and all. Not taking anything away from what you have done. Just wanted to give you some more ideas on how to move and position them easier. Doesn't mater if the ground is flat or uneven or what ever.
Good job,
T </div></div>

Can you post pics of yours?

thanks,
Keith

M.45,

Nice work! I wish we could get the basic precut Ar500 steel targets so easily here in the UK...

I'm looking for a smaller set-up, probably a 10" or 12" gong..

It will be interesting to see if the welding had any affect on the hardness and whether the welds hold..

Is there any reason why you went for a fixed upright target rather than a gong or hanger of some sort?

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your target looks great but now I am gonna tell you how to make it more portable. Where you have welded your tube on the back of your target. I welded a top on my tube so that I can take a regulare old t post used for agriculture fencing and drive with the target itself. You can take your target and a t post either full length or cut them off and go shooting. I have 6 of these built like I described and works like a champ. I think your target looks great and your welding looks good and the stand and all. Not taking anything away from what you have done. Just wanted to give you some more ideas on how to move and position them easier. Doesn't mater if the ground is flat or uneven or what ever.
Good job,
T </div></div>

Can you post pics of yours?

thanks,
Keith </div></div>

I will post some pics today. I will have to go get a few..
T

<span style="font-style: italic">My range test report contined from above:</span>

After the close-in work we then decided to move back to 750 yards and do some distance work. It was really fun because you could clearly hear the steel ring out when we got hits. With a 14.5 mph crosswind, it weren't easy!

longrangeanthme.jpg

longrangepov.jpg

headhits.jpg

I did notice how much spray peppered the base of the frame:

spray_1.jpg

spray_2.jpg

We had one .223 hit directly on the bolt hole in the center:

bullet-bolt.jpg

And my tack weld on the rebar 'shaft stop' gave way...

rebarfailure.jpg

At the end of the shoot we simply let loose with our remaining .223 ammo and enjoy the clanging of steel in the desert.

end-target2.jpg

end-target.jpg

In conclusion, I've discovered it is possible to be a newbie welder and weld A500 steel without destroying it's integrity. Also the welds may not be pretty but they hold, and there is nothing more fun than clanging steel in the desert.

God Bless America.

Let me also state that the target worked great! Thanks for inviting me in on the fun, M.45. Next time we'll have to push 1K+ with the .308's, then eventually 2K+ with a pair of .375 CT's!

Mike bring it to the fab shop if you want me to weld a little for you. Might be a little more trusting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike bring it to the fab shop if you want me to weld a little for you. Might be a little more trusting? </div></div>

Yeah it could use a touch up, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.45,

Nice work! I wish we could get the basic precut Ar500 steel targets so easily here in the UK...

I'm looking for a smaller set-up, probably a 10" or 12" gong..

It will be interesting to see if the welding had any affect on the hardness and whether the welds hold..

Is there any reason why you went for a fixed upright target rather than a gong or hanger of some sort?

Regards,

Peter </div></div>

Peter-

I was going to hang it originally because I was afraid to weld on to the A500 but when I thought about how I wanted to use it (handgun/carbine/rifle) I woke up to the fact a gong is not very good for pistol and carbine shooting... only longer range stuff.

I'm really glad now that I did do the self standing target plus I can remove it and hang it if I like. (next project: gong hanger!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I blew so many holes in the tubes, they looked like a flute.
</div></div>

LOL

I feel your pain. I won't allow anyone to see what I have done with my MiG. Perhaps someday.

Nice work on the target. I need to make my own steel, as the stuff at the range is shot to pieces.

Hey Michael instead of the rebar you welded in the top of the tubing on the target, just put a 3/8 or 1/2 bolt through it. As far as welding making AR500 weaker, I dunno, we have alot of targets in our connex box up here that say different! BTW, nice job on the whole thing bud!

Update on my A500 steel target.

Well it's taken about 10k rounds of .223, .308, 45acp and 9mm from all distances and it's still holding up pretty well.

The heat from the welding definitely took it's toll on the steel, the root of the welds in the back softened the internal structure enough that after the hard exterior chipped away, certain areas became softer, allowing much more damage.

What have I learned? Heat f-ups A500 steel, so buy plates with a hole cut in them (like mine does) and hang it with a grade 8 bolt instead of welding anything to the back.

IMG_0834.jpg

Will post close up pics later.

Here's a without-weld trick to holding a target plate like yours on the stand you built.

1.) Fabricate a flat "T" from 3/8" x 1" bar stock.

2.) Heat each end with a torch and bend all three ends over 180 deg. in towards the center to form a 3 point bracket to cradle the target plate. The bracket ends should extend around from behind and over the front of the target plate about 1".

3.) Weld the bracket to the post using a shim block to angle the top of the target bracket forward at 30 degrees. Spatter will then be directed to the ground and not back at you.

4.) Slide the target plate into the bracket. It should be cradled on the bottom and on both sides. Make the bracket tall enough so recoil will not allow the target plate to jump up and come out of the bracket.

This will hold your target in position on the post and you don't have to weld on anywhere or use any bolts. I can post pics if you would like.

You guys could always mig/tig braze it together with silicon bronze. It wont affect the AR500 in the least.

I've steel target assembly planed for today, i used Hardox600 10mm plate, drilled it and i'll use piping and bolts with chain to hold it (used a bit longer bolts to angle the plate downwards a bit)... Will post pics later if everything goes as planned...

If you use 2 legs instead of one you can us chains to hang various size plates under your big steel. Very useful if you want to mil something big and shoot something small.

Your target mounting option needs to change. If your target welds are failing after 1 day of shooting you need to look for other ways.

I have 2 plates by MGM and they use round head bolts to hold the mounting system in the back. It works great. THe system lets me use 2x4 as the pole, so I can have them at different heights, which is nice.

I would also recommend you tilt the plate down so the hits go into the ground when you shoot them. Its a nice safety feature.

Otherwise good job with it. It's all a learning experience.

R.

Being in the coal mining industry, I have access to heavy duty conveyor belting. I find strips of belt to be far better than chain for target hanging. It will always face the target to you and is impossible to shoot into.

yes, any type of fusion welding will affect the heat-treated plate. If I made it at work, I would just re heat treat it to the hardness I was after, but I don't have an oven at home that will achieve solution tempurature. Some of the posters are right: a cradle system will eliminate the need to weld on the hardened plate, 100 ways to skin a cat and all that stuff. I like your target. I may make one of my own!-----Metalguy

Tested hardox 600 with .308 (and M1A and .357 magnum but those are weaker...) and 185 scenars@2400fps from 40meters...

308_Hx600_40m.jpg

Basically no real dents (maybe less than .5mm of surface gone - Hardox plate has coated surface with some Zinc alloy or something like that...) bullets just splattered, will try FMJ but i think it will also be quite unaffected by it (at least for 100m which is the minimum distance i intend to shoot at with rifles...

UPDATE:

Here are updated pics of my target after about 10k rounds from all types of guns. Mostly .223, .308, .45 and 9mm.

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

It's taken a beating and after the hard exterior chipped away, the weld heat compromised the A500 in the center of the target.

IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

The pressure from all the rounds actually ripped the bracket I welded from the target and curled the plate a bit.

IMG_9673.jpg

And as you can see some of the rifle rounds punched through the softer steel.

IMG_9674.jpg

After the bracket ripped off the back, I hung it with a grade 8 hardened bolt. Works perfectly now. Love shooting this thing.

Your target stand is a great idea. What desert are you shooting in?

awesome post,nice to see it go from the shop into the desert and then get shot up.Lots of good info from members throughout this post.

Nice. I wish I had the tools and know-how to make something like that.

What materials are used to make that stand? How much did it cost you?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of my setup:

steel_t5.jpg

steel_t3.jpg

steel_t1.jpg

steel_t4.jpg

</div></div>

You can build angle-iron stands and not worry about compromising your surface temper:

34splxe.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can build angle-iron stands and not worry about compromising your surface temper:

34splxe.jpg
</div></div>

Those look great Sinister, did you make them? How are they held in to the frame?

The guy at the steel yard built them for me. This is an old Army design.

They're just held in by gravity. If you give the plate slots a little space they'll sway back-and-forth just enough to absorb some impact energy. Pick 'em up and throw 'em in your pickup bed. If your plates ever bend just turn 'em around.

Looks like you have welding down well enough to do angle iron. Angle should be cheaper than tubing. The welder just said to spray-paint the welds so they don't rust, other than that they've held up well. I hit one of the angles across the face at 800 yards with a .338, and it dented deep but did not penetrate. The bullet fragged enough it still clanged and through the spotting scope I could see the hit.

Slag and spall just color the angle legs -- they're durable and require no babying.

What do they charge for shipping on that 2/3 IPSC steel?

Hey guys... When building a stand, is it a good idea to give the target some "play" so when the bullet hits it, it gives some? Or should the target be firmly attached to the stand itself? Im looking to build a stand out of 2x2 metal tubing, and want some input.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys... When building a stand, is it a good idea to give the target some "play" so when the bullet hits it, it gives some? Or should the target be firmly attached to the stand itself? Im looking to build a stand out of 2x2 metal tubing, and want some input.
Thanks </div></div>

From my experience, it's best if the stand is rigid and where the target is attached it has some play or sway (like with a chain or loose bolt). The play dissipates much of the bullet energy which makes it easier on the target and saps bullet energy in case of a ricochet.

Thanks M. How tall is your center post that is holding your target? Did you have any problems with the target shifting when it was shot?