• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BUIS on AR15

BUIS?

• Total voters

sapthol

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2023
Arizona
Hello All...in today's world with better glass and technology evolving around LPVOs, mounting devices, etc for those of you that have ARs, do you still mount a set of BUIS? I've always been the one to look at things from the perspective of 2 is 1, and 1 is none outlook and choose to mount them just in case of red dot optic/LPVO failure. The industry has made great improvements on LPVO Mounting devices and the ability to mount a piggyback or offset red dot along with an LPVO. Please share why you either do or do not if possible along with your poll vote. Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Reactions: simonp
if it's a low stakes plinking/target gun, not worth the bother/cost.

If it's a high stakes offensive/defensive/battle or competition weapon, especially if you don't have an aimpoint or otherwise bombproof sight, you might want that insurance policy.

Here is the 16 inch carbine I built for an LT at Benning. He wanted this configuration, folding front (also the gas block like the standard M16 a frame) and rear sight bases. No idea where he sourced the parts. But, I like them. Better built than what I normally see.

What a pain to modify the handguard.

20200728_220107.jpg20200728_214705.jpg20200728_214616.jpg

Last word from him, he got both LPVO and BUIS sighted in at 300M

Reactions: Redlion
Offset sights to get you out of your current situation if your optic fails.

Optic in a quick detach mount for easy removal once time is available.

Regular flip-up BUIS after that.

-Stan

I switched up my go to carbine recently. I was running a gen2 1-6 viper pst with offset irons but I'm currently trying the 2-10 credo and I'm going to mount a dot of some kind at 12 O'clock and I plan on getting a set of the lmt irons to keep on me should something happen to the optics.

Sound plan or no ?

I vote no, because I have laser, Nightforce, and acro. Buis would be in the way, as well as buried under the lpvo. If the Wilcox, NF, and Aimpoint are all 3 a no go, I doubt unbolting the NF and using irons will be a winning solution.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Daniel Defense A1.5 sights are what I run on any defensive carbine/sbr.

I think there is a difference between "civilian odds" and "going to war odds"

As a civilian needing my AR for self-defense I think the odds are pretty slim I also think the odds of me needing my AR for self-defense and my LPVO going down at the same time are even slimmer (I get Murphy's law and all that), but even if my optic went tits up I can't see myself as a civilian in a self-defense scenario where inside 25yds I still couldn't hit a man sized target even with no sights at all. I know this country is going to shit, but as of now I don't feel like I need to put in "wartime odds rules."

Rules for serious use rifles
1) Have a secondary/backup
2) Have a close-quarter aiming solution
3) Have an aiming solution that does not require a battery to function *

Be it…
Irons & red dot
Lpvo and offset mrds
Acog and laser

I’ve had optics fail in that they’ve lost a range of function or features, nothing is foolproof and redundancy and options can be helpful and provide synergy.

*does not apply to NV guns as power mgmt is already part of the game necessary to function

Reactions: Makinchips208
I really dont see the need if you have good quality optics/red dots. I have a H1 and a T1 that have had the shit beat out of them, The H1 is 20 years old, still works as good as the day I bought it. I have a 1x6 Accupoint that has also taken some abuse and is also good to go. Saying this, both of my serious rifles have BUIS on them because when I started all this I thought they were needed and I have them.

If we end up in a situation where civilians are involved in war...if you survive, there will be plenty of anything you need to be had.