• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bulged tube on surefire

B.Morgan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2005
Riggins, Idaho
I have a slight bulge on the tube of my surefire 308 can just under the stamped name. It looks like it's about where that 2 o'clock position is from behind the rifle. I'm running the muzzle break adapter and there is a designed hole in it about that same spot. I have about 1000 rounds through this can including some 260, and 6.5 cm. Should I send it in?

Re: Bulged tube on surefire

My 556k can also has a slight bulge where the stamped name it.

I think its normal.

Wow, I don't know if that's NORMAL. It may or may not be something to worry about...but a bulge surely isn't "normal" is it?

I haven't talked with surefire because I just noticed it today. Does anyone know the life of the can? I know you can get it reworked but when do you need to start thinking about it and please don't say when it bulges.

only one thing to do. call surefire

So do both of mine (308 and 223) and I was starting to wonder too, I'd be curious to see what SF has to say.
Also notice like BMorgan said that the bulge is above the vent in the muzzle brake.
A friend's 223 can shot on a birdcage adapter does not have the bulge. hmmm.

I know if the bulge continues, the weld there will eventually fail...

I will call Monday but was hoping this question had been asked and answered before. Patience is a virtue I struggle with. .

I would definitely call Surefire and ask them if they will warranty it. I do have bad news if they are unable to correct the problem under warranty or on your dime you will have to redo your form 4. ATF made a ruling a couple months ago where suppressor tubes that are damaged cannot be re manufactured with the registered serial number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Selph Arms LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely call Surefire and ask them if they will warranty it. I do have bad news if they are unable to correct the problem under warranty or on your dime you will have to redo your form 4. ATF made a ruling a couple months ago where suppressor tubes that are damaged cannot be re manufactured with the registered serial number. </div></div>

A few months ago?!

That has been years ago.... Called the "Gemtax Law" for short.

Im going to check my 762SS when I get home, I have the Mini 556 and 556AR cans as well. I have not noticed the bulge. All rifles use their brake style adapters. This could be a design flaw.... or it could be on purpose. I do notice the areas that are spot welded are showing from heat dissipation. Will report back on the bulge.

Definitely call the company office and talk to someone from the suppressor division. I would ask for Howard Feng or Garin. I only shoot one of my rifles with a flash hider and the rest all have muzzle brakes and I don't have a bulge in any of suppressors. I do have discoloration from them being shot a lot but it is just the cans getting hot not my tube bulging.

Chuck

I can't speak for this particular issue, but will give Howard Feng and Chucky compliments for a smooth warranty return process. About 2 years ago I had to return a can for warranty work, and SF supplied a form letter that had to accompany the suppressor to the factory.

After a brief call to NFA Chief Inspector to confirm it wouldn't cause any issues, the suppressor was sent, and then returned about 30 days later.

Bottom line: I thought the return process would be a nightmare. Turns out it wasn't so bad.

We will absolutly take a look at it. The life of the suppressors with normal use will last you longer than the rifle and then some unless you are the type that likes doing SBR full auto beta mag dumps for fun. We will check the concentricity, bore and put it on a spin fixture and finaly do a test fire. Howard Feng will get you set up with a RMA and the proper paper work. BTW any RMA suppressor has priority on the floor.

Just got off the phone with Surefire. They have seen the slight bulge on other cans and aren't concerned about it but to send it in if I was. They were very willing to do whatever I wanted but I think I'll just keep shooting it. I've seen no signs of baffle strikes and my poi is the same as always. I've talked with a few people that run the muzzle break and this seems to be common on them.