• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulk ammo in a T1X & Bergara

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I wanted a bolt action 22lr rimfire to plink around with. No competitions here, so will the T1X and or the Bergara bolt actions Run reliably with plain old bulk 22lr ammo? Or do I have to use exspensive target grade rimfire ammo? Thanks

Last edited:
Avoid Winchester and Browning 22lr.
Out of spec bullets can cause chambering issues.
CCI products usually fit, even in match chambers.
Most of the European made, less expensive 22lr, will chamber as well.

i’ve run 1k or so winchester m22 through my T1x, no issues

Federal Auto match works well. I cycles semi-auto pistols also.

Mike

R.df143185766dfba335241354f81f6b74

The lowest end ammo I run in my Vudoo is Wolf match target runs about $75 a 500 brick and it shoots ok. For matches Lapua Long Range and RWS 50/100 shot best for me.

Federal auto match. Inside 100, it’s MOA or better accurate. And I bout it for under 7 cents a round, if I recall the last time I bought a case.

IME the rifles will run the ammo fairly well, but you won't get the best accuracy

M
This is the story. You can put almost any 22 long rifle ammo ( or shorts or longs for that matter) in a quality match grade 22 rifle and it will almost certainly go bang, but accuracy on target will be disappointing

runnig junk bulk ammo in a match grade rifle is like running economy gas in a race car then questioning why it won’t perform as intended.
I do shoot lots of inexpensive ammo but this is in pistols, plinking guns and steel challenge guns that don’t demand accuracy.
for my match rifles match ammo only.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
This is the story. You can put almost any 22 long rifle ammo ( or shorts or longs for that matter) in a quality match grade 22 rifle and it will almost certainly go bang, but accuracy on target will be disappointing

runnig junk bulk ammo in a match grade rifle is like running economy gas in a race car then questioning why it won’t perform as intended.
I do shoot lots of inexpensive ammo but this is in pistols, plinking guns and steel challenge guns that don’t demand accuracy.
for my match rifles match ammo only.
Mostly agree, with the exception that spending $$$ on “match grade” ammo without lot testing is folly. May not shoot any better than random mid grade

I wanted a bolt action 22lr rimfire to plink around with. No competitions here, so will the T1X and or the Bergara bolt actions Run reliably with plain old bulk 22lr ammo? Or do I have to use exspensive target grade rimfire ammo? Thanks
My factory T1X shot best with CCI Standard Velocity. My 10 shot group average over 44 groups at 100yds was 1.76”, including the less than ideal ones over 2”. If I had ignored a half dozen of the worst groups the average would have been more like 1.6”.

Mostly agree, with the exception that spending $$$ on “match grade” ammo without lot testing is folly. May not shoot any better than random mid grade
I only shoot 22 PRS, but I haven’t seen the need to lot test to get better groups on paper from expensive ammo. Lot testing helps with BR requirements, but not so for proper sample sized testing at the 1MOA level. More expensive ammunition is more consistent for me. Instead of 20% high/low flyers making a group 1.4” at 100, there are maybe 8%. Switching to Eley Match makes my 200 yd groups round. All the SK offerings were vertically spread. This was over 3 cases of SKS+, SKRM, and SKLRM, all of with shot the same using big enough sample sizes.

My T1x so far really likes Federal Auto Match and Magtech surprisingly enough. I can usually get the Auto Match for around $20 something a box of 325 and Magtech for about $4-ish a box of 50...

Haven't tested anymore since I've got a stockpile of about 15k of Auto Match from covid years.