• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulk ammo storage?

Shawn1492

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Colorado
What’s everyone using to store there bulk reload 223 ammo? I have the standard MTM cases for precision reloads. But for bulk storage plinking reloads I use a gallon ziplock. But they tear. I’m thinking the Magpul DAKA pouch, are they strong enough to hold for 200-300 reloads? Thanks
Counter Sniper Shawn.

I’ve been using VCI anti corrosion bags the past few years. You can buy them sized to fit different sized ammo cans. Relatively new to bulk storage but work fine as far as I can tell. In hindsight I wish I would have stored some in ziplock to see if the difference in cost is actually justified

100 round ammo boxes. I store brass in “ammo cans” but anything I have taken the effort to hand load gets a proper ammunition box.

For bulk ammo I use a 3 gallon bucket with a lid. I've also found mini ammo cans work good as well on the grounds that I usually don't shoot a bucket full in one session.

I use ammo cans (new sealing plastic jobs) and zip lock bag 50 or 100rds. Just makes it easier to grab an amount of ammo to goto the range. I don't need anything too fancy to store bulk ammo.

Zip locks get labeled with the load specs.

Easy enough for me.

USGI ammo cans are great. But finding good ones isn't as easy as it used to be. Most of the ones I've seen recently are pretty nasty which is why I've went to the plastic jobs.

5 gallon buckets they stack.
Then for a day supply peanut butter tub's. Sturdy, stack fit in side of ruck and hold 120 rounds 223.
16253718876375632390128330370336.jpg

The square snack containers are also handy hold more and same price as the peanut butter jars.

Ziplock is an ammo sprinkler an range card goes inside the clear plastic containers.

Who divies up 223 in 50 / 100?

Magazines are 30, 60, 90, 120 (4) mags per pb jar
Or six 20 rounders.

Last edited:
I’ve been using VCI anti corrosion bags the past few years. You can buy them sized to fit different sized ammo cans. Relatively new to bulk storage but work fine as far as I can tell. In hindsight I wish I would have stored some in ziplock to see if the difference in cost is actually justified

You using Zerust or Cortec bags? They work well for ferrous alloys but require humidity to carry the VCI across to the surface. The yellow metal passivator in those does not carry far.

You using Zerust or Cortec bags? They work well for ferrous alloys but require humidity to carry the VCI across to the surface. The yellow metal passivator in those does not carry far.
Bluguard. And just found that as of last year they “ no longer manufacture production runs for retail sales”

Bluguard. And just found that as of last year they “ no longer manufacture production runs for retail sales”

Interestesting, I never really ran across that brand before. Cortec and Zerust make basically the same product. Unless something has changed they all use the same inhibitor.

Ammo cans for bulk storage.

Daka Pouch for hauling it to the range bit by bit. Daka pouches would suck for bulk storage. Tons of wasted space and they wouldn't stack well.

Reactions: Shawn1492
Ammo cans , 30cal. Easy to carry and enough room leave over for mags etc. ( given your few hundred rounds comment )

They will last forever, and you can readily stack them.

As mentioned, I store my ammo in USGI ammo cans. They are easy to stack, easy to move and it looks cool. When I go shooting, it will dpend on what type of shooting I'm doing and who's going with me. I calculate how many rounds per person will be needed for the time we are shooting and then I usually double it.

It's funny how people don't want to stop when they start shooting. I've had rabid anti 2A people on the line and they want to keep going. I remember taking a group of my son's college friends to an indoor range. All were from New Jersey, but they want to see what it was like and why my son always talked fondly about the shooting sport.

I asked the owner if I could have the classroom and have about a 30 minute safety class. The owner gave me some dummy guns and we had a good time. Once out on the range, they followed every safety precaution we had talked about. I went through 2000 rounds of 22LR and somewhere around 1000 rounds of 9mm. They didn't want to leave. It cost me a small fortune that day, but I believe my son and I converted some really anti 2A college kids.

I can only imagine their parents going ballistic when they told them of their adventures. Some of the kids mentioned wanting to buy a firearm and joining a range back home. They got a kick out of it to be sure. I took them back to the range a few more times, just not all 6 at 1 time.

5 gallon bucket sounds great until you need to move a full one. There is a reason that ammo cans are the size that they are…
The 5 gallon buckets are for home storage and I can not lift one on my best day.
I can barely scoot them accross a hardwood floor.

If a large ammount needs moved I have to move about a gallon or so at a time and swap buckets.

Clean deprimed brass is stored in a 5 gallon bucket on top and I pulled my back out a few days ago on that. It's a 2 man lift when full. (I'm old)

Working quantities are shoveled out by hand. I reload for the family. That's armageddon / plinking 223, 9 and 45 stuff not the bolt gun rounds. That goes into shoe box size clear containers that you have to be carefull when you lift.

I have some of the standard ammo boxes but don't like them and I use 100 / 50 round range boxes for development. (They will break).

I can toss one or two peanut butter tub's to someone and not worry if they come back. (Funny how ammo cans / boxes disappear)

A small child can carry a peanut butter jar worth of ammo and if it's dropped won't spill out.

Rich, no that bulk stuff is / was purchased when components were on sale and brass is range pickup cleaned sorted and culled.

Use what you got and spend more money on the precision rounds.

Last edited:
5 gallon buckets they stack.
Then for a day supply peanut butter tub's. Sturdy, stack fit in side of ruck and hold 120 rounds 223.View attachment 7661232

The square snack containers are also handy hold more and same price as the peanut butter jars.

Ziplock is an ammo sprinkler an range card goes inside the clear plastic containers.

Who divies up 223 in 50 / 100?

Magazines are 30, 60, 90, 120 (4) mags per pb jar
Or six 20 rounders.
This is what I was looking for! I guess ammo transport would have been better wording. Thanks!

Reactions: Snuby642
Bank deposit bags work great for transport to and from the range.

Large zip lock bags, placed in ammo cans.

Never seal the zip lock. No need to.

Bags will hold the ammo together so less rattling when driving long dirt roads.

Bags help to separate types of ammo.

Bags don’t get stressed when in the ammo can, so no need to worry about a torn bag.

Can’t fit as much in the ammo can, due to the bags, but I’m ok with that. I’m not at the 5 gallon stage.