• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulk ammo through a CZ 457 Pro Varmint

Duke2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2023
New Market, AL
I'm new to the CZ 457 rifle and wondering if using bulk ammo will negatively affect accuracy? Not planning to competitively shoot, but want all the accuracy I can get out of the rifle. Will be shooting Eley and SK, but would also like to throw a bunch of cheap copper-coated lead through it, too. Thanks.

Bulk cartridges are made as fast as possible as cheaply as possible.
This is to minimize expense and maximize profit.
As a result, quality is not of major importance.
Expect velocity spread and visible indications of rough handling on the assembly line.
Dents, dings, scratches and assymetry of the bullet nose and drive bands.
None of which will allow for predictable or consistent trajectories.
For short range use or offhand, bulk cartridges will be adequate.
For distances beyond 35 yards, when you want to hit what you aim at, for score,
y'er going to need tight/consistent muzzle velocities and well made ammunition, not junk.
No rifle can fix MV spread, or cartridge defects.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ Dan
Rimfire rifles are particular about what they like.

CZs are test shot with RWS ammo so that's a good choice to start with. My rifle seems to like TAC22 just fine if that helps with decision making. Doesn't like CCI std velocity as much, but std velocity isn't horrible

HTH

M

It will negatively affect accuracy, due to poor quality, the original question, but as long as they chamber
and don't suffer any case ruptures, the lead and copper plating has almost no effect on the barrel.

Rimfire rifles are particular about what they like?
Yeah, I can agree with that. They like well made cartridges with tight/uniform muzzle velocities.
Brand or label doesn't guarantee a rifle will like the cartridges in the box.
Variations in components, assembly and handling on the production line affects the results.
What produces amazing accuracy from one box, can sling strays and fliers the next.

My rifle likes Midas+....this brick, sub inch results at 100 yards off the bench, mv spread less than 36 fps.
Last brick, chrony showed mv spread of 53 to 72 fps and odd strays. Same label, same brand, different quality. :(

Last edited:
I'm new to the CZ 457 rifle and wondering if using bulk ammo will negatively affect accuracy? Not planning to competitively shoot, but want all the accuracy I can get out of the rifle. Will be shooting Eley and SK, but would also like to throw a bunch of cheap copper-coated lead through it, too. Thanks.
It will not hurt your gun. I shoot lower grade ammo in my match rifles, CCI SV, Norma Tac22, Eley Contact, do very well. I shoot long range steel out to 400yds. They do good for practice and windy days. I don't buy the cheap bulk anymore, it does not shoot well for me. If you have it shoot it.

Tac22 and Geco semi auto are cheap enough and are pretty dang good quality wise compared to bulk crap. Otherwise federal automatch will work okay if your really poor. And no it won’t hurt your barrel.

Will it hurt? No. But that's like buying a Porsche 911 and refusing to put 93 octane in it...89 octane is just as good, right?

My 457 doesn't particularly like Federal Auto Match, but it does well with CCI Standard. That about the least expensive ammo I'm willing to run through my 457, Bergara BMR, Bergara B14R, etc.