• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bull down 220 Berger LRHT

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I was able to connect with a bull yesterday using my newly built 30 Nosler shooting a 220 Berger LRHT bullet.
I couldn't find any reports from the field with that bullet so I thought I'd share.

MV was 2975, he range was 300 yards at a steep down hill angle with the bull quartering away.
The shot entered through the liver and passed through one lung before plowing a furrow along the offside scapula and lodging under the fur at his chest.
He ran approx 30 yards and fell over, internal damage was impressive as was the penetration!
The recovered bullet was a classic mushroom and weighed 118 grains
I'll be sticking with these bullets for the foreseeable future.
20211011_202957.jpg20211011_203015.jpg20211011_205444.jpg20211011_204801.jpg

Impressive! Ive been looking for these for my 300 Norma
I think you'll like them, check out the 245 as well. It's pretty impressive especially at NM velocities.
If you just need a few 220s to try out let me know, I can hook you up

A real decent bull thank you for the field report- I’ve just about settled on 06 and 308 for all my rifle hunting needs but for some reason that 30 Nosler seems to be creating an itch, don’t know why that itch can’t be scratched by my current 300 Weatherby or my previous 300 WM but that’s how it goes I guess.
as my elk hunt starts on oct 29th I’ve been reading on the subject a lot- comfortable with my gear ability and caliber but having downed a few elk and a few bear and a few large exotics and feral cattle I do kinda snicker at the idea of how incredibly hard elk are to kill- it may be hard to convince them that they are dead but putting a decent bullet through vital organs always kills.

Thanks guys
I shot a few more 220s last night at 1290 yards, turns out its pretty damn hard to hit a 12" plate at that range.. So I dug three out of the loose soil right below the plate and they all opened perfectly, pretty impressive I thought.
Impact velocity was 1600 fps
20211016_161531.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks guys
I shot a few more 220s last night at 1290 yards, turns out its pretty damn hard to hit a 12" plate at that range.. So I dug three out of the loose soil right below the plate and they all opened perfectly, pretty impressive I thought.
Impact velocity was 1600 fps
View attachment 7722800
Do you feel comfortable enough to keep using those bullets for hunting?

Do you feel comfortable enough to keep using those bullets for hunting?
Totally
I just shot a buck with a 220 at 530 yards and hit him really low clipping the bottom of the lungs.
Expansion was good, I found shrapnel higher up in the lung tissue and heart.
The bullet broke the offside leg bone on the way out

Totally
I just shot a buck with a 220 at 530 yards and hit him really low clipping the bottom of the lungs.
Expansion was good, I found shrapnel higher up in the lung tissue and heart.
The bullet broke the offside leg bone on the way out
Well dang sounding like they are really working. Might have to try the 190 version. Heard good about the 135 and your 220.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Well dang sounding like they are really working. Might have to try the 190 version. Heard good about the 135 and your 220.
I've been playing with 144 lrhts as well and they're looking promising with my hillbilly expansion tests.
Next year I'll log some kills with them too

I've been playing with 144 lrhts as well and they're looking promising with my hillbilly expansion tests.
Next year I'll log some kills with them too
Well sounds like they are going to work. I was worried about them being tipped and a lot of the points looked closed.

Well sounds like they are going to work. I was worried about them being tipped and a lot of the points looked closed.
Yeah and I haven't cleaned any of them out, I might start doing that though just for extra insurance