• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Arc

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Finally convinced a standard ballistic app to give me the arc data on bullet flight. Long time ago, I used an app that was specifically for handgun silhouette that graphically showed the flight of the bullet. In these days and times its not that easy to find anything that will give you something besides drop. But times are getting better. I tricked a simple ballistic app to give me what I wanted to know in text form which was far better than nothing.

Here is what I found. Getting some serious altitude as the distances stretch out just a bit further.

6.5 Creedmoor shooting a Berger 130 grain VLD at 2951FPS

Shooting to 800 yards gives a maximum elevation of 53.7 inches @ 450 yds
Shooting to 840 yards gives a maximum elevation of 59.0 inches @ 450 yds
5 more inches to go 50 more yards but both max elevations at same distance.

Shooting to 1050 yards gives a maximum elevation of 108.9 inches @ 600 yards
Shooting to 1100 yards gives a maximum elevation of 123.9 inches @ 600 yards.
15 inches to go another 50 yards and total hight above line of sight is a whopping 10.3 feet
Getting some air time here

Surprise point to me was despite the required increase in elevation which was substantial, the distance to max elevation was roughly the same

Now for some fun.
Speaking of low recoil
How bout a Precision Rifle using the .300 Whisper/AAC Blackout.

Going to 1100 yards at 1100FPS with a 210 grain Berger Match bullet
Max elevation is over 50 feet, one calculator had a max elevation of 52 feet. Higher many trees. Time of flight to target was about 4 seconds.
But hey, less than 300 FPS of velocity was lost over the distance. Bet your Dasher or GT can't say that.

Just some fun facts. If none of this interests you, please disregard.