• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet comparators varies

You're getting caught up thinking about the thickness of about 5 sheets of paper on non precision ground/cut pieces. And why one brand does/doesn't match up to another or the same brand.

It's just random luck of the draw how they matched up.

The reason behind my question is that i will be moving away from the hornady set to the forster set thus comparing the 2, if i just start going by the measurements of the new comparator without comapring them and it measures different, i would not get the same results for bump and seating depth as i have been. Just an observation that my hornady set and new forster set is basically identical to each other in measurements but, another forster set is .023 off. As for worrying about the thickness of a few sheets of paper....yes because why do we do seating depth tests, and get a certain shoulder setback if it doesnt matter? If you use one tool to measure your seating depth and change tools just to go with the new random numer....why bother in the first place. It was a simple observation that is all.

Geez sometimes these forums are worse than social media. Haha
Sometimes?! :LOL:
You're making more sense now with your goal. Comparing your tools and setting the calibration to use moving forward with the previous NEW numbers. I will need to do that with my new "Ugly Annealer" brand comparator kit. Which I might add would cost $250 if A419 made it. UA was $58.

I'll need to hit all my current loads with the new kit inserts and update the Xcel spreadsheet for the new numbers. Then the Hornady is getting sold. I am also dedicating one caliper set to just the comparator kit. Less fussing with setting up and zeroing the base unit that's held on with 4 grub screws.

ETA for clarification

Last edited:
Sometimes?! :LOL:
You're making more sense now with your goal. Comparing your tools and setting the calibration to use moving forward with the previous numbers. I will need to do that with my new "Ugly Annealer" brand comparator kit. Which I might add would cost $250 if A419 made it. UA was $58.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: FredHammer
The reason behind my question is that i will be moving away from the hornady set to the forster set thus comparing the 2, if i just start going by the measurements of the new comparator without comapring them and it measures different, i would not get the same results for bump and seating depth as i have been. Just an observation that my hornady set and new forster set is basically identical to each other in measurements but, another forster set is .023 off. As for worrying about the thickness of a few sheets of paper....yes because why do we do seating depth tests, and get a certain shoulder setback if it doesnt matter? If you use one tool to measure your seating depth and change tools just to go with the new random numer....why bother in the first place. It was a simple observation that is all.

Geez sometimes these forums are worse than social media. Haha

You're completely missing what everyone is saying.

The "sheets of paper" comment was that you are finding it strange that a device that is NOT precision cut/ground to be consistent is different by .023 or so. When that going to be well inside the unit to unit variation of comparators from even the same company.

A comparator is a comparator is a comparator. There is zero need to check them against one another. Sometimes they will be the same or close and other times they will be completely different. Hence the word comparator.

When you change comparators, just start entirely over. That's how it works. If you want to have constant measurements or use different tools to measure, then you buy a measurement tool like a datum gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Ill have to work on my phrasing and the details in my posts...its like a minefield. I saw area 419 has a comparator and i wont even go look for the price...because of reasons...probably made of Unobtaniam therefore starting at a 1000 bucks. Anyway, thanks, the forster seems of good quality and will do the job finne. Cheers.

Area419 is not a comparator. It's a measurement tool or datum gauge. There is a difference.

To clarify, by "starting over" I mean that you either take a loaded or sized round or whatever you have that you want to continue using as the reference for your ammo going forward........forget any measurements you made with your past comparator. Take a measurement with the new comparator, and go from there.

Or if you don't have a reference piece of brass or ammo, but wrote down the measurements with the old comparator, load or size using the old comparator. Then forget any measurements and start using the new comparator.

There's pretty much zero reason to care what the difference is from the Hornady and the Forster, or Hornady and Hornady, or Forster and Forster.....

The only reason to do that is if you're going to try to measure something with one comparator and then use another comparator to load similar ammo or size similar cases. Which is just a bad idea in general. Get a measurement tool/datum gauge if you want to do things like that.

Hornady tool(s),while useful, IMHO,
has its limitations and frustrations.

Manson (Reamers) has some machined HS and BTO tools
maybe worth a look one day.

I would think that the 2 Forster gauges would be closer to each other with measurements then my Hornady and Forster.

This is where your error is in this thread. You're making an assumption that has no basis in reality. You personally "think" the two Forster gauges should/would be closer to each other.

However there's no reason they will/should. They aren't precision instruments. They are rough comparators that have no precision consistency between one comparator or the other even though they are made by the same company. Hence why tools like this are generally cheaper than precision measurement tools.

You're personally finding something "strange" that is completely normal.

Reactions: FredHammer
This is where your error is in this thread. You're making an assumption that has no basis in reality. You personally "think" the two Forster gauges should/would be closer to each other.

However there's no reason they will/should. They aren't precision instruments. They are rough comparators that have no precision consistency between one comparator or the other even though they are made by the same company. Hence why tools like this are generally cheaper than precision measurement tools.

You're personally finding something "strange" that is completely normal.
Exactly. I was just making a discussion of something i find interesting. I am aware of everything you are trying to get across to me. Also....might not phrase things correctly as im trying to find the right way to ask a plain question as my language is Afrikaans and not english. Phrasing things in english might be off. No worries. All resolved and understood.

Exactly. I was just making a discussion of something i find interesting. I am aware of everything you are trying to get across to me. Also....might not phrase things correctly as im trying to find the right way to ask a plain question as my language is Afrikaans and not english. Phrasing things in english might be off. No worries. All resolved and understood.
I think your English is just fine. I just had to ponder why you were interested in the things that didn't matter, but looks like you got sorted out right style with that! :LOL: (Ughk!)