• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet for larger game and subsonic load for 7mm08

bluegrasspicker

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I'm looking for a bullet that fits two bills. One is as a hog (and maybe someday other big animal) bullet, and the other is as a subsonic projectile. When hunting, I intend to shoot the bullet at full speed, NOT subsonically.

I use a 162 amax for target and for deer. They shoot great. I don't think it would be a good bullet for hogs, though.

The barrel is a 20" 1 in 8" twist.

I'm leaning towards a 175 grain Interlock, Gameking, or Core-lokt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

Re: Bullet for larger game and subsonic load for 7mm08

Good luck on your search.
I have spoken with ballisticians at Sierra and Barnes and they all say that nothing they sell will open up at 1000 fps. I have a 300 Whisper and have tried up to 240 gr. MK's on gallon jugs of water and they pencil through and keep on trucking.
Have taken deer with a 220 gr SGK with the lead tip ground off but took a spine shot to do it and even then never found the bullet and the entrance and exit were basically caliber sized.
I know others have taken deer with it at subsonic levels but I have put it away.
It takes too precise a shot for me to pull off every time and I cannot condone wounding game.
I have a safe full of other guns to use that will drop them efficiently.
Just one guy's opinion but since I have options other than subsonic that's where iI went.
Gary