• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet going to sleep

Newbie2020

Mmmyeah...whatever
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Nebraska
How is the best way to explain to my friend that bullets don’t “go to sleep”?

Asking for a friend.....

Reactions: 338dude
Well you can’t tell him they don’t go to sleep I mean look at this 105 hybrid he’s out cold!

Attachments

• 622D23A5-F419-4DC3-9C96-E7B7F6E81DAC.jpeg
    622D23A5-F419-4DC3-9C96-E7B7F6E81DAC.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 115
How is the best way to explain to my friend that bullets don’t “go to sleep”?

Asking for a friend.....
Tell him to stop following Elmer Fudd on 24 hour camp fire.

Or, alternatively, tell him the bullet comes out of the barrel gyroscopically stabilized at 250,000-300,000 rpm and, ideally, at the top of the sine wave harmonic whip.

When they get bad groups at 100 yds and better groups at 200-300 yds they insist the bullet is cavitating out of the barrel then somehow decides to simmer down and just spin thus “going to sleep”

ive heard it a bunch lately and it’s got to go away....

Reactions: 338dude
Um ... right. More accuracy at longer distances for a round that starts inaccurately, and somehow ... wakes up downrange and decides to get back on the ballistic curve after taking a 150-yard "nap". OK ... I'm sure that's possible. Did I mention that Big-Foot is renting my AirBnB next week?

Dude...I wish I were making this up. This fairy tale is rampant in fudd circles particularly with fast twist magnums shooting heavies.

We think it’s a flinch that no one will ever admit to because theyre an amazing marksman and can easily shoot magnums sub moa

Reactions: 338dude and LR1845
Dude...I wish I were making this up. This fairy tale is rampant in fudd circles particularly with fast twist magnums shooting heavies.

We think it’s a flinch that no one will ever admit to because theyre an amazing marksman and can easily shoot magnums sub moa
i shot a 220g SMK out of a 300wm with a muzzle brake and no ear pro once took me 2yrs to get rid on that flinch LOL.

I've "NEVER" shot anything more accurately at longer distances, than I was able to shoot at 100 yards ... end of story. Ballistically, that whole "sleeping bullet" thing is physically impossible. I mean ... literally ... the "physics" of that hypothesis simply don't work. Thanks for educating me on something I could never talk myself into believing. LOL

My brother spends a lot of time learning about long range shooting from the Fudds at longrangehunting and told me about this a couple years ago. I told him the laws of physics didn't allow for such a phenomenon, but he insisted it was a thing. He also recently told me Huskemaw makes a great scope, I kid you not. 🙄

I've "NEVER" shot anything more accurately at longer distances, than I was able to shoot at 100 yards ...
I actually have, it was because at 100 yards I could easily see the groups and I’d try to muscle them in where as at 400 I’d just be relaxed and let the fly because I couldn’t really see what was happening.
Thankfully I got past that.

Sometimes it’s better just to agree, even if it’s wrong.....

Yes your bullets go to sleep after 100 yd
Savage is the same quality as AI
Scopes above $150 are a waste of $$
Your gun does shoot 1/4 MOA all day long
6.5 CM is the greatest caliber ever

Last edited:
When I took Frank’s class I discovered that I shot much tighter groups at further distances than I did 100yrds as did a few other students. Apparently it’s really common among less skilled/trained shooters. Being able to see really well let me see and try to correct all my little wiggles, making matters worse. Nothing to do with the gun or bullet of course. Just an indication of lousy fundamentals.

Bullets with boat tails do go to sleep, but it happens really quickly. Inside of 20 yds IIRC. That’s why 100 br guys all shoot FB bullets. I’m not sure that you want to even table this discussion point, but that much is true. NO bullets steer towards POA (tighten up) though.

When they get bad groups at 100 yds and better groups at 200-300 yds they insist the bullet is cavitating out of the barrel then somehow decides to simmer down and just spin thus “going to sleep”

ive heard it a bunch lately and it’s got to go away....

1621131571934.png

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
Bullets with boat tails do go to sleep, but it happens really quickly. Inside of 20 yds IIRC.

I'd love to hear an explanation based on fluid dynamics. If you can't explain it, how can you make such a claim?

My brother spends a lot of time learning about long range shooting from the Fudds at longrangehunting and told me about this a couple years ago. I told him the laws of physics didn't allow for such a phenomenon, but he insisted it was a thing. He also recently told me Huskemaw makes a great scope, I kid you not. 🙄
Does he work concrete?

How many bow kills does he have?

It’s an absurd conclusion that it had anything to do with the bullet or gun. The bullet is on a trajectory, even if it were less stable initially and become more stable in flight as it slowed, the initial instability would alter its angle of flight, and it would continue on that new angle. When I shoot 1moa at 100yrs and 1/3rd moa at 800 yards, that’s just me over correcting small movements that I can see at short distances.

Considering the idea is mentioned in Bartlein's FAQ on gain twist and has mentioned the idea on lowlight's podcast, maybe someone can get Frank Green to elaborate.

Personally, I think the idea is the noise people need to just tune out. Who cares if bullets do or don't go to sleep. All that matters is if you can accurately and repeatedly hit the target.

Well I guess someone with a slow mo camera set up that can track a bullet at difference parts its path should do some research and see if these mf things are literally catching some ZZZZZ's on the way to the target and then decide to wake up at exactly 101yds. I'll be willing to donate the ammo and rifle :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tokay444
Considering the idea is mentioned in Bartlein's FAQ on gain twist and has mentioned the idea on lowlight's podcast, maybe someone can get Frank Green to elaborate.

Personally, I think the idea is the noise people need to just tune out. Who cares if bullets do or don't go to sleep. All that matters is if you can accurately and repeatedly hit the target.

As much as those two know, they don't know as much about the subject as true ballisticians like Dave Emary and Bryan Litz.

And I'm pretty sure neither buys into the bullets sleeping bullshit

Reactions: Newbie2020
I saw an experiment conducted in Precision Shooting 20 years ago. It was demonstrable, but small.

The explanation is pretty easy. The boat tail is still in the bore as the gas escapes around it, any inconsistencies in bullet concentricity or crown imperfections impart gyroscopic instability on the bullet. It takes a moment to fully restabilize.

Reactions: Slides
Actually the take away from the experiment was that it happened much quicker than “most” guys thought it did.

Sometimes it’s better just to agree, even if it’s wrong.....

Yes your bullets go to sleep after 100 yd!
Savage is the same quality as AI!
Scopes above $150 are a waste of $$!
Your gun does shoot 1/4 MOA all day long
6.5 CM is the greatest caliber ever!
This... This is the answer, can't believe some of you guys hear this shit and don't laugh out loud 😂

It's absolutely true.

It's also why I don't shoot matches... I never know when my bullets went out the previous night and are sleeping off the festivities.

Sometimes you can tell... The meplats are all bloodshot with dark circles around them. Disgraceful.

Mike

Well I guess someone with a slow mo camera set up that can track a bullet at difference parts its path should do some research and see if these mf things are literally catching some ZZZZZ's on the way to the target and then decide to wake up at exactly 101yds. I'll be willing to donate the ammo and rifle :ROFLMAO:
Maybe they were shooting dum-dums... :ROFLMAO:
1621183968782.png

Relevant Ballistic Data... There's something to spend your day thinking about not dumb shit someone heard from someone else in a coffee shop about a "theory"...