• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet jump 175 smk

Alan_H

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
washington
just wonering if anyone else shooting a 700 sps-t seating .308 175smks short like lets say 2.745 primer to tip?
seems thats what my rifle likes
win brass, 43.5 gr reloader 15, cci br2 primer

Re: bullet jump 175 smk

I think a lot of folks are measuring based on the case head to ogive measurement.

If what you have works, I don't see a reason to change it. I noticed a small amount of differences in bullets from the same lot of 175 SMKs.

I saw my groups shrink like crazy when I played with seating depth. I'd try and help more but I don't have my head around which bullet likes what type of jump or jam (smk vs bergers vs scenars).

Hate to be a dbag, but the stickies above are pretty good. It talks about this in depth and much more accurately (pun intended) than I can.

Best of luck! The 175 SMKs shot like a champ in my SPS-V.

Edit: oh and I think mine were 2.815 COAL...

i know Sierras handle jump with no problem.my Berger VLDs like em jammed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That seems short, but if it works. Have you tried anything longer? </div></div>

Short is relative to your chamber. My Base to ogive measurement in my TRG is 2.307". On a 175, seated to the lands the AOL is right around 2.885. I usually seat them about 2.295 (on the ogive) but have no issues seating them at 2.225", which makes the COAL around 2.80. The 175s are not finicky and seating the bullet further out of the case is generally done to gain a bit more capacity or uncompress a load. The TRG mag is 2.95 max COAL, so I should never have a problem...even with Bergers.

I am dropping 44 grains of Varget into a Lapua case with CCI BR2s. It is not a compressed load at minimum length, so unless you are going 45 grains or above, you should not need to worry about it. From what I have seen, the 175s care very little about where they are seated in relationship to the lands. Unless it shoots markedly better with the bullet at the lands you might at well seat them a bit deeper. As you move the bullet further out of the case neck and towards the lands you INCREASE chamber pressure. You may get pressure signs where you once saw none. If it shoots don't screw with it.

Josh

I have been running my tactical at a OAL of 2.825 with 155's (a-max & lapua) 168's (BTHP's, a-max and berger vlds) and 175 vld's, all with good results. Shoot what works for ya.

limited by the oal of the mag which is 2.8 bullets that do well are smk and amax both in 308 175g and 178g respectively. And in 243 with same magazine oal limit of 2.8 both smk 107g and amax 105g both do well. smks a little tigher in 243.