• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet length variation

trilogymac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
TX
I was loading a ladder with different bullet depths and had to grab another box of bullets. They were .025 different than the first box using a Sinclair comparator. Is this much variation common?

They were 178 AMAX.
One box was in the old packaging and one in the new.

Thanks,
Trilogymac

Re: Bullet length variation

That seems like quite a bit of ogive variation. One time in a box of 168 SMKs, I had a couple of bullets that were that far from the norm, but it was only about 2 out of 500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was loading a ladder with different bullet depths and had to grab another box of bullets. They were .025 different than the first box using a Sinclair comparator. Is this much variation common?

They were 178 AMAX.
One box was in the old packaging and one in the new.

Thanks,
Trilogymac </div></div>

I just went through this with 208 Amax's. Same: old/new packaging. Definitely different shape.

John

If it were Sierras I would just accept it as that. They have a track record for setting up 6 different machines dumping into the same bin. Other makers usually don't run out that much.

I ran into the same problem with 168 grain SMK's. Max overall length varied by 0.030". Most however were within 0.005". One would think for what they charge they would do a better job controlling the runout.