• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Point Video: Rifle Set Up Lesson: Scope Height

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    When mounting your scope, we hear and see a lot of people talk about mounting the scopes as low as possible.

This sort of thinking is no longer revenant to tactical shooter, competition shooters with rails, etc.

Here is a quick video to provide some context when mounting your scopes. One major consideration is the scope caps and their clearance to the rails. If the cap is just barely clearing the rails, the scope tube can get damaged under recoil. We have seen scope caps that impact the rail under recoil bend and damage the tubes. It's important to clear all aspects of the scope from the rails or barrels

Super low is not necessary in 2021

@lowlight - thanks Frank...always enjoy this tips and tech talk vids.

Side note, for some reason the audio streamed fine but the vid stuttered and skipped and as far as I can tell, my internet connection is good and other vids stream fine. Just thought to mention it.

As for scope height, one of the reasons I have tried to keep my scope mounted on the low side is that otherwise I would need to raise the comb up higher than almost my stock/chassis offers. This is for cheeking the gun right under my cheek bone as I would with a shotgun as this gives me a repeatable reference....cheek bone is in the same place every time while mounting down near my jaw in order to raise my head is subject to variability in placement.

My eastern deer gun is a Rem .308 5R in an HS stock with a Viper 3-15 x 44 scope. I have it mounted in Leupold's lowest Mk 4 steel rings and still have to have the Loggerhead comb adjustment almost as high as it will go (actually, had to get the extended posts from Mr. Cross and I'm almost as high as they will go).

What I like about the Loggerhead is that I can move the comb laterally, again to eliminate/reduce head roll. My other gun is in a JAE chassis and yes, I still have to roll to the right just a bit to move my eye into the scope's pupil.

Just my stupid face configuration.....maybe I need to get into a bar fight and have it reconfigured! (flash to scene in first Dirty Harry movie where the guy pays to get the shit kicked out of him)

I also enjoyed the bit of history and perspective about why low used to be valued and now is, for most faces (not mine, apparently haha), no longer the case.

I "think" I have my guns fitted as best they can be, but I fully expect that during your clinic in Sep that you will inform me that I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing and will have to fix me up! LOL

Cheers

Reactions: mudpig
    Thanks for another great instructional video. Gotta go find my 1/2” riser to try....

Reactions: mudpig