• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Bullet question.

mi650

Undergrad Rifle Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 30, 2010
    Michigan
    I guess this is as good a place as any for this question. If not, mods please move it somewhere more appropriate.

Something I've wondered for quite some time: Why is it that hunting bullets aren't generally as accurate/precise as match grade stuff? I'd think for a bullet that's intended to be used for a serious purpose, it's even more important to be made to a high standard, be as accurate/precise as possible.

Now I'm not talking about comparing Fed. Power-Shok to FGMM, but Fed. Premium should be fair, or maybe Hornady Outfitter vs ELD-M.

Is it just not possible to make an expanding bullet as accurate?

I guess this is as good a place as any for this question. If not, mods please move it somewhere more appropriate.

Something I've wondered for quite some time: Why is it that hunting bullets aren't generally as accurate/precise as match grade stuff? I'd think for a bullet that's intended to be used for a serious purpose, it's even more important to be made to a high standard, be as accurate/precise as possible.

Now I'm not talking about comparing Fed. Power-Shok to FGMM, but Fed. Premium should be fair, or maybe Hornady Outfitter vs ELD-M.

Well hunting bullets are about kinetic energy where match bullets aren’t necessarily. Hunting bullets traditionally aren’t being shot at a mile.

There have been some manufacturers try to bridge the gap. Look at the Hornady ELD-X or some Barnes TSX. Probably way more I’m just talking about ones I’ve seen personally

Why is it that hunting bullets aren't generally as accurate/precise as match grade stuff?
    I'm not sure that's really true.

maybe Hornady Outfitter vs ELD-M
    I think a better comparison would be ELD-M vs ELD-X and at the range I shoot ELD-X for eastern whitetail, they seem just as accurate as ELD-M out of my gun.

Perhaps the distinction is cheaper hunting ammo vs high end match and high end hunting ammo (e.g ELD-X, Federal with Berger hunting bullet, etc.) vs high end match...perhaps?

Well hunting bullets are about kinetic energy where match bullets aren’t necessarily. Hunting bullets traditionally aren’t being shot at a mile.
    True. ELR hunting is, what, about 7-800 yards? Seems to me that a bullet that can be counted on to reliably take out a deers vitals at 800 yards would be good enough to use on steel at a mile.

Reactions: 338dude
    I'm not sure that's really true.

I think a better comparison would be ELD-M vs ELD-X and at the range I shoot ELD-X for eastern whitetail, they seem just as accurate as ELD-M out of my gun.

Perhaps the distinction is cheaper hunting ammo vs high end match and high end hunting ammo (e.g ELD-X, Federal with Berger hunting bullet, etc.) vs high end match...perhaps?
    Granted, I've only tried them in 1 rifle, but I didn't have good results with the EDL-X. Which is why I only tried them once.

Reactions: Baron23
    Hunting bullets have to retain weight. This means that the jackets are thicker to prevent disintegration, and they're often modified further through either bonding, internal jacket "lips" to retain the core base, or both. Copper is notably less dense than lead, so when your "dense" core is skinnier (because the not-dense jacket is thicker), the bullet is less stable, which can hinder accuracy.

I'm not a bullet maker, but that's my understanding.

Reactions: Dot3
    This means that the jackets are thicker
    Ah, I think you may have this reversed.

"All of our hunting bullets have a thinner copper jacket than our target line of bullets, which ensures rapid expansion upon penetration of the animal."

But perhaps this is viewed differently by different bullet manufacturers.

Reactions: todd
    Ah, I think you may have this reversed.

"All of our hunting bullets have a thinner copper jacket than our target line of bullets, which ensures rapid expansion upon penetration of the animal."

But perhaps this is viewed differently by different bullet manufacturers.
    I was going to say the same thing. I shoot Berger 6mm 115 VLD Hunting bullets. Cant get them right now so I'm going to get soem VLD Target. Berger says the target bullets have a thicket jacket. The Hunters shoot damn good.

I was going to say the same thing. I shoot Berger 6mm 115 VLD Hunting bullets. Cant get them right now so I'm going to get soem VLD Target. Berger says the target bullets have a thicket jacket. The Hunters shoot damn good.
    Yes, my understanding is that, in general, manf want hunting bullets to expand very quickly and deliver force to internals hence thinner jackets while with target bullets...well, they don't really want them to expand at all, hence thicker jackets

Now see, this is the kind of thing I'd expect.

Yes, my understanding is that, in general, manf want hunting bullets to expand very quickly and deliver force to internals hence thinner jackets while with target bullets...well, they don't really want them to expand at all, hence thicker jackets
    And that's something I don't get. Why does it matter if a target bullet expands?

Going thru paper, who cares? And it seems like an expanding bullet would be easier on steel, not tear it up as much.

Why does it matter if a target bullet expands?
    Well, I think its less expansion on impact as much as distortion during flight due to high speed/high revs....well, that and not coming apart as competitors over speed and spin them, right?

Well, I think its less expansion on impact as much as distortion during flight due to high speed/high revs....well, that and not coming apart as competitors over speed and spin them, right?
    Right, there is that.

The designers of hunting bullets have terminal ballistics as their first priority. The designers of Target/match bullets used in competition have external ballistics as their first priority.

^this right here.

It's why cars (used to) have fuel economy as a priority. Lower peak RPM limits also gave engines made them super reliable. Service times per KM driven is huge. Higher end "performance" cars, or engines, require a ton of maintenance and up keep, and they drink more fuel than Frank drinks whiskey.

You want a bullet that is absolutely terminal performance perfection for its application, and sacrificing a few points of BC, or weight, or shape, or whatever, that's permitted to get the BEST results for what they want.

Target bullets are identical, but polar opposite. If you are just touching paper or ringing steel, they will sacrifice weight, or shape or expansion / retained weight, just to get better BC, sectional density, or whatever it is that they want.

I commend bullet engineers, marketing analysts, production workers, everyone, for making the best product possible with the information they have at their disposal.

Props to you !

Reactions: mi650
    ^this right here.

It's why cars (used to) have fuel economy as a priority. Lower peak RPM limits also gave engines made them super reliable. Service times per KM driven is huge. Higher end "performance" cars, or engines, require a ton of maintenance and up keep, and they drink more fuel than Frank drinks whiskey.

You want a bullet that is absolutely terminal performance perfection for its application, and sacrificing a few points of BC, or weight, or shape, or whatever, that's permitted to get the BEST results for what they want.

Target bullets are identical, but polar opposite. If you are just touching paper or ringing steel, they will sacrifice weight, or shape or expansion / retained weight, just to get better BC, sectional density, or whatever it is that they want.

I commend bullet engineers, marketing analysts, production workers, everyone, for making the best product possible with the information they have at their disposal.

Props to you !
    You sent me down a rabbit hole looking for a pic of the DIC on a C7 Z06, cruise control set at 100 mph, 1900 RPMs, instant econ showed 27 MPG. Guess I deleted it. I know the pic was real, I took it while driving. In Mexico.

Anyway, before I gave any thought to this kind of thing, I had 2 different rounds that would shoot to the same POI out of my 20" OBR: 168 gr FGMM and 168 gr Win. Ballistic Silvertips. This was at 100 yards, no idea what would have happened beyond that. At the time, I hadn't shot any farther than 100 since the Army, about 30 years prior. I sold that rifle a couple years ago, so no way to test it now.

Reactions: iceng
    Heard of multiple rifles doing that.. different load, same poi/poa. Even read of a guy who had a switch barrel (AI I think) who had the same with 2 different cartridges. Weird.

As for cars, yes I completely believe that too. ECUs are smart as the guy who programmed it. And they are really crafty and can do cool shit..

If you are talking bullets and not ammunition, this is not correct.

I have performed load development on hundreds of rifles, all with bullets designed for hunting. Pick an appropriate powder for the cartridge, bullet weight, and barrel length. Seat that bullet within .005" to the lands for the specific rifle on the bench. Published O.A.L. is irrelevant. Clean the barrel, then foul it in at 100 yards. Once the barrel is showing some consistency at 100 yards, move to 200 yards and start climbing in powder charge. The goal is the tightest shooting charge. Once that is found, zero to "the load" at 100 yards. Then get DOPE on it out to 800 yards.

During all those load development processes, I have seen 1/4 to 1/2 MOA more times than not. Hornady ELD-X, Berger VLD-Hunting, Berger EOL, and Sierra Game King and Tipped Game King.

But if you are talking about ammunition, then it is built to be safe in all rifles, and often watered down powder charges. It is also built to shoot at least decent in most rifles. This is more powder selection and powder charge negatively affecting precise shooting, than it is the bullet itself.

I didn't read the rest of the replies in this thread so my apologies if any of this is a repeat. Here's my perspective as an engineer at a bullet factory.

It depends very much on what you mean by "Hunting bullet". There are several types and each has their own quirks. There are also some aspects that have little or nothing to do with what a bullet design is really capable of.

Overarching themes that may or may not have to do with the bullet-- this certainly isn't all inclusive:
    - Barrels have attitude, and not all barrels are equal. Some barrels hate some bullets, some barrels love all bullets, some barrels suck. Hunting bullets at the very least usually have thicker jackets than match or varmint bullets. Bonded bullets have very thick jackets. Monolithic bullets are exceptionally rigid. If you barrel has changes in diameter throughout the length, the problems that come from that (gas blow-by, in-bore tilt, etc.) can be exacerbated with a stiffer bullet. Generally speaking, thinner jacketed bullets (made to the "same" quality) will shoot better in more barrels. At least that has been my experience. That includes the entire spectrum from Savage to Bartlein.

- Allowances. Most all bullet companies accuracy test their bullets before they turn the machine on to run production. The requirements for what passes and what fails are nearly arbitrary up to the point that you're talking the best-of-the-best match bullets. For example, a bullet company might put an accuracy specification of 10 shots into <0.5 MOA for match bullets, but only hold 5 shots into <1.0 MOA for hunting bullets. FMJ bullets may be 1.25-1.5 MOA. This doesn't mean the hunting bullet or FMJ can't be made to shoot just as good as the match bullet-- it just means that management has made the call that the end-user is likely not going to require that level of precision from that specific bullet, so why waste time ($) perfecting it to the .0001" when 95% of end users will "test" them with 3 shots on a paper plate at 75 yards before a hunt? That doesn't mean the hunting bullets are guaranteed to shoot worse-- Sometimes luck prevails in the tooling lottery and you get hunting bullets that absolutely HAMMER. It's just not going to happen as consistently as with match bullets.

- Powder selection in ammunition. May or may not be conducive to optimal accuracy. Especially with hunting ammo you see trade-offs made, most notably for SPEED.

- Terminal performance should be KING. If a decision has to be made in the design/R&D process that you either get super tight groups or you get expansion, odds are it's going to err towards expansion.

Some specific things that pop up with various general designs (again not all-inclusive):
    -Bonded bullets. The lead chemically bonds to the jacket, but also is molten at some point in manufacturing. When it cools, it shrinks and deforms, and it usually doesn't do it especially concentrically (vs. what tooling in a match bullet line does). You'd think you could smack it again and straighten things out, but once the lead is bonded to the jacket, funny things start happening to the jacket when you try to move the lead. Funny things happening to jackets = loss in accuracy potential.

- Thicker jackets are harder to precisely control. They offer more resistance to the tooling. Simple as that. Almost all lead+copper hunting bullets have jackets that are 1.5-2.5x thicker than what you'd expect to see in a match bullet of the same caliber. Good tooling designs can overcome much of this, but at the end of the day it's going to take more work-- massaging tooling, keeping up on surface finishes, etc..--to get a .035" thick jacket "match accurate" than it does a .020" jacket.

- If thicker jackets were tough to form, monolithics are that much tougher. Very rigid construction, a LOT of material flow, and extremely specific tooling necessary to make proper functioning mushrooms. Lead cores are much easier to push around and get centered.

-Soft point bullets get dinged up by almost everything they come in contact with on the exposed lead. Hard to hold consistent BC/drag profiles when you can't hold consistent shape.

- Many hunting bullets have extra jacket "features"-- basically extra tooling/forming steps in them for core retention or to aid in uniform expansion. All of those features are extra forming steps with more tooling that have to be concentric to not negatively affect dispersion. It's harder to line up more processes and not fuck it up, basically.. Plus you're doing it to thicker material.

With match bullets all that anyone cares about is, A) Does it group tight in a wide offering of barrels/cartridges, and B) High consistent BC?!?!? So all of the forming processes are geared to ensure A happens with as much of B as is possible. From my experience there is absolutely zero care given to if a match bullet expands/fragments/whatever in Gel or animals, and that's why you see a lot of companies suggest not to use them for hunting. No testing is done to ensure they work, whereas testing typically IS done with hunting bullets (by people who care) to make sure they hit expansion envelopes. "No comment" on putting the same bullets in two different colored boxes and calling them different things... ;)

Reactions: Modoc and mi650