• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet recommendation, 1 in 11" Twist, 300WM

NikolaiS

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Peoria, AZ
www.gothiclabs.com
Was looking at some bullet choices for 1000+yds for 300 Win Mag.

Berger VLD, SMK and A-Max all had some nice BC's at higher grain. However, I could only find reference to a Twist Rate recommendation from the Berger; on their 210gr VLD HPBT they recommend 1 in 11", which is what I have. Looks like a nice choice.

On SMK's and A-Max I could find no such recommendation?

Nik

Re: Bullet recommendation, 1 in 11" Twist, 300WM

Either a 1:10 or 1:11 is pretty much standard. Either will do what you want. For checking other bullets use the Berger data for their non-VLD bullets.

Similar weight bullets with similar profiles will be about the same length and that's what influences the required spin rate needed to stabilize the bullet. The twist and the velocity will create the spin rate and I shoudl think that for a 300 WM and a 1:11 twist you should have no problem stabilizing all the way to 240gr. Testing will confirm.

As an example, I was using a 1:11 twisted .308 to shoot 200gr SMKs to 1000 yards. Granted the barrel is 32 inches and the MV is comparable to a low end 300 WM, but you can take it from there.

The 200 SMK is fine, the 208 A-Max is definitely one to look at, just understand that the higher you go, the heavier the recoil and if this is for competition, it will wear you out after a while.

On the other hand, if this is for plinking and you have a brake, then try the heavier ones.

208 AMAX will work fine in the 11 twist. Giys have been shooting them in 12 twist .308s so an 11 twist 300WM will not be a problem. Thrown them infront of some H1000 and have some fun.