• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Recommendations for .308 JP 18" 1:11.25 barrel.

Volarus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2023
Stateside
I'm getting into an AR308 with an 18" JP Supermatch barrel in 1:11.25

I would like to know some recommendations from those who know for bullets that I can try to feed it to see what it likes.

I would like suggestions for a:
1) Plinking Bullet - ?unknown?
2) Match Bullet - 175 SMK?
3) Hunting Bullet - Barnes 150gr TTSX?

From what I have read, these barrels often tend to like 175 SMK, so that was what I was leaning towards for a match bullet. Honestly, I will probably very rarely shoot the expensive match stuff - but I thought it might be useful as a baseline criteria when searching for other bullets.

Basing a hunting bullet off of the 175 SMK, I like all copper - and I came across the 150 TTSX
It looks like the copper 150 TTSX is within 5% of the length of the 175 SMK, and I feel like the lighter copper bullet would lend well to the velocity the copper bullets need for proper expansion. Please point me in the right direction if I'm misguided.

For plinking - which is what I would shoot by far the most of. I have no idea.

I would very much love to hear your from your experiences on which bullets I should try to feed this barrel to see what it likes in those three profiles. Thank you all very much in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the majority of all of this ammo will be shot within 300 yards.

Last edited:
An 11.25 twist handles a traditional bullet up to roughly 190 grains plus or minus a little, but for example is marginal with the 200.20X bullets where sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t.

Nothing wrong with the bullet you show. I would not hesitate to exploit any good competition target bullet that was on sale up to 190. You are more likely to find something like the 168 or 175 SMK to be sold in bigger boxes for a better price once in a while.

There are too many options to mention but nothing wrong with any of them unless you want to be more specific with distance and type of shooting you will want for those target bullets. For example, up to 600 yards the 168 SMK is fine, but it isn’t a good choice for 800 to 1000, especially in that 11.25.

As for hunting bullets, I’ll assume stuff like deer or elk and say there is nothing wrong with that TSX or the TTSX as long as you stay within range where the terminal effects still work. You might get farther with a traditional Sierra or Hornady cup core bullet like a 165 SGK or Hornady ELD-X. And nothing wrong with a 150 grain either.

As for plinking, once in a while Widener‘s puts bulk 150 FMJ on sale for a good price. If you keep the ranges short they can perform and they are about $0.17 a piece, and sometimes they sell the Speer 125 grain TNT for about $0.18 per piece.

I tend to recommend you standardize on bullets that are more often available and for a good price, but keep in mind that if you get picky the Berger and Sierra target bullets are not cheap but you won’t get good performance with poor quality bullets once we are out past 300 yards or so.

Reactions: Doom and simonp
An 11.25 twist handles a traditional bullet up to roughly 190 grains plus or minus a little, but for example is marginal with the 200.20X bullets where sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t.

Nothing wrong with the bullet you show. I would not hesitate to exploit any good competition target bullet that was on sale up to 190. You are more likely to find something like the 168 or 175 SMK to be sold in bigger boxes for a better price once in a while.

There are too many options to mention but nothing wrong with any of them unless you want to be more specific with distance and type of shooting you will want for those target bullets. For example, up to 600 yards the 168 SMK is fine, but it isn’t a good choice for 800 to 1000, especially in that 11.25.

As for hunting bullets, I’ll assume stuff like deer or elk and say there is nothing wrong with that TSX or the TTSX as long as you stay within range where the terminal effects still work. You might get farther with a traditional Sierra or Hornady cup core bullet like a 165 SGK or Hornady ELD-X. And nothing wrong with a 150 grain either.

As for plinking, once in a while Widener‘s puts bulk 150 FMJ on sale for a good price. If you keep the ranges short they can perform and they are about $0.17 a piece, and sometimes they sell the Speer 125 grain TNT for about $0.18 per piece.

I tend to recommend you standardize on bullets that are more often available and for a good price, but keep in mind that if you get picky the Berger and Sierra target bullets are not cheap but you won’t get good performance with poor quality bullets once we are out past 300 yards or so.
Thank you so much!

I’ll check all those options out and keep a note of your advice.

I forgot to mention and just edited the post to say that the majority of my shooting will be within 300yards.

Reactions: RegionRat
168gn SMK is a good choice inside 300yd and save you a few bucks too

175 or even the 185 juggernaut for 500+ yds for match stuff

147gn FMJBT stuff for plinking. Find it as cheap as possible and go have fun.

The 11.25 twist was a rate that the Army spec'd for the M24 sniper rifle using the 173-175 M118 LR round. So as noted the 175 SMK is a good choice. For Plinking the lower cost option is the 150 gr Hornady FMJ. There are some cheaper 147-150 gr bullets but they tend to be less accurate.

Depending on the intended use and range the 168 or 169 SMK might be a better option, especially if shooting less than 600 yds. I would doubt you would be able to see a difference.

Since you are shooting a gas gun with a shorter barrel I would recommend shading towards the faster 308 powders like 8208 and N135 (for 168 and lower bullets) as opposed to the 4064's and Varget. It's not a requirement but it will be easier on the gun (lower port pressure, slower cycling and greater powder burnout).

Thank you all so much!

I’m taking notes on all of it.

I’m going to start purchases soon on small batches of these recommendations in factory loads to see what the rifle ends up liking.

I don’t have a reloading setup yet, but it’s high on the priority list and this all great info to get me pointed in the right direction.
Thank you all.

Reactions: RegionRat
Whatever for plinking but I use Berger 185 Juggs for match and 185 Classic Hunter for kills. Any of the above mentioned will work but I like heavies. Varget works great when. you reload.
Save all this brass!

Thank you so much!

Yes, I will absolutely be saving all the brass I shoot between now and getting my reloading kit setup.

I am shooting 175 RDF’s out of an 18 inch savage bolt gun. The brass isn’t listed on the bottom but it’s a Federal gold medal match. That 2.29 inch base to ogive measurement is jammed pretty good my particular rifle likes it stuffed way in the lands. Might be a starting point taking 10% off and working back up? Shooters World Precision has been working really good. Load on the left used to be the ticket with the original 26” length.

The card then the rifle.

8rmfpu.jpg

inollq.jpg

Reactions: simonp
On the other end of the spectrum, I had and sold to a member here a 308 11:25 twist Schneider barrel that shot anything 155gr with Varget, 8208 or AR Comp into one very respectable hole. Lapua, Sierras or Hornady-didn’t matter. Gun just digested everything in that range.