• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet RPM Calculator???

Re: Bullet RPM Calculator???

I don't know about the specific formula you are referring to, but if you assume that bullet takes on the full "twist" of the rifling by the time it leaves the barrel, it should be fairly easy to calculate the rpm of the bullet at the muzzle (not sure how drag would affect the rpm/fps ratio downrange)...

Given:

1:Y" rifling

X feet/second

Convert rifling twist rate to twists per foot instead of inches:

Y" = Y/12 feet --- so the rifling rate is 1 twist (revolution) in (Y/12) feet, or in other words 12/Y revolutions per foot.

So, if the bullet is going X feet in a second, and in a foot of movement it undergoes 12/Y revolutions, then the bullet will undergo X*(12/Y) rotations per second, or 60*X*(12/Y) revolutions per minute. Simplify that down, and you get the bullet leaving the muzzle at:

720*X/Y rpm

...where X is the muzzle velocity in feet per second, and Y is the number of inches per one twist of the rifling.

Assuming of course that my brain can be trusted to do math at this hour of the morning
wink.gif

-Matt

Re: Bullet RPM Calculator???

MattJ hit the nail on the head, but it was confusing for me to wrap my head around, so I just put what he said in the simplest way I could.

Velocity X 720/Twist Rate = RPM

V X 720/T = RPM

Example: Your remington 700 308 has a 1:12 barrel and your shooting a velocity of 2600 feet per second, your formula should look like this

2600 X 720/12 = ?

2600 X 720= 1872000

1872000/12 = 156000 RPM