• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet run out gauges. Are they worth it??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am looking at buying a Forster bullet run out gauge. Are these type of gauges worth the 80 bucks they cost?Does a couple thou run-out really make any difference? Lee

Re: Bullet run out gauges. Are they worth it??

I find that if I can keep my loaded runout below .003" I shoot a bit better. I use a NECO gauge for this.

The thing is, I only use it now and then to check my process.
If your gear is working properly, you don't need one, but you need one to know if it is working right.
laugh.gif

Runout is smaller than 0.003 is essentially perfect (tactical applications)

Runout larger than 0.005 starts to induce accuracy problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Runout is smaller than 0.003 is essentially perfect (tactical applications)

Runout larger than 0.005 starts to induce accuracy problems. </div></div>

+1

I was getting .003 and less run out so I started seperating all the rounds that were .001 or less for testing against the rest of rounds. After firing many groups I found no difference in the group size between the two at 600 yards. Now this more of a tactical setup than a benchrest setup and you might see a difference at 1000 yards with benchrest gun, I don't know.

David

I think so. And, while I like most Forster tools I don't care for their concentricity gage. I believe the Sinclair model is much better.

Without the gage you can't KNOW if your ammo is as good as you think/hope. With it, if there is a problem you will be aware and can find where it occurs in the loading process. It's usually from sizing, no seater can seat straight in a bent neck!

Understand that the gage will give you TIR, Total Indicated Run-out, meaning a given degree of off-set will be measured from both directions. It will be twice the actual amount of bullet tilt in your ammo, thus a gage reading of .002" means your run-out is .001"

How well any given rifle tolerates bullet tilt depends a whole lot on how tight the throat is. A tight throat will "correct" a good bit of tilt, a loose throat won't. Thus, no one can tell you what any amount of tilt will affect your accuracy.

I don;t load for benchrest, so take this for what its worth.....
I have a couple samples of mirror-reflective commercial glass. When I wonder if my bullets are straight I roll the rounds on them. You'd be amazed how easily you can see a little runout.

I think time driving the rifle will yield better results than time on the breloading bench, assuming good basics are attended to.

I don't see how you load precision rounds without one. Mine came from Sinclairs and its been worth every penny.
larryj

What i am most interested in knowing is how much run out i have when necking down my 6br cases to a 22br. I here that you can get some pretty good run out in the process. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you find there is objectionable run out, which tool allows you to properly push them back to straight? </div></div>
Your thumb,I just find the high spot,and apply a little pressure with my thumb,and recheck it.I do this until I have no more than .003" TIR.I learned this trick from my gunsmith,it works very well.

If you move the bullet to much you will lose neck tension. But someone makes a tool that you slip the loaded round in and turn a little screw to puch the bullet over. The trouble is I can't remember the name or which magazine I seen it in.
larryj

Personal opinion, I don't care for any tool that bends a round straight. Seems better to pull the bullet and start over, find where it went wrong. If that doesn't work, toss the bad case.

It's the Bersin tool, if I've spelled correctly.

Queegueg,

Some of the same tools you would use for finding:
odd colored grains of powder or pre-spinning your bullets.LOL

Just funnin with you a little.

Steve

I know a few BMG match shooters use these if they are not using bore riders. Bersin tool there about 250 dollars and caliber specific.

jasonk,

I think those were something like $130 a year or two ago. Not sure what they are now.

Monte