• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet runout tolerance?

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
When your reloading for super precise loads what would be an exceptable tolerance? I know I would like to get every one of them to have .0000” runout but I want to be realistic.

Also I picked up a Hornady concentricity gauge which works great for showing bullet runout but I’m skeptical bout using it to force the bullet to be perfectly concentric, I’m not saying it wouldn’t straighten everything I just think it would mess with neck tension. What are your thoughts?

When your reloading for super precise loads what would be an exceptable tolerance? I know I would like to get every one of them to have .0000” runout but I want to be realistic.

Also I picked up a Hornady concentricity gauge which works great for showing bullet runout but I’m skeptical bout using it to force the bullet to be perfectly concentric, I’m not saying it wouldn’t straighten everything I just think it would mess with neck tension. What are your thoughts?
I use that Hornady setup to correct my hand loads which can be up to 2-3 thou out down to less than 0.001”. I used to go to 0.0005” but decided that was too OCD...

Total run out divided by 2 < .003. Also, mark bullets in the same place when measuring run out and load accordingly in the rifle. The logic being the run out leaves the muzzle at approx. the same position of the clock. I normally only go this far working up a load. If you're loading touching lands don't worry about run out. If you're neck sizing with Lee collet don't worry about run out. The trick with the collet is size rotate 1/4 turn and size again.

what type of gun are you shooting and what type of shooting are you doing?

Right now I’m shooting a bone stock R700 sendero in 7mm mag, I’m working on a 300PRC build and my ultimate goal is to shoot in the King of 2 mile with a .375CT or something similar.

So right now I want to refine my reloading with what I have now so I can get in the habit of loading properly instead of good enough, plus it will be cool to have a hunting rifle that shoots under .5 moa.

Jesus on Easter, it helps to let us know you want to shoot out 2 miles. There is only a handful of people who participate in that genre and are good at it.

The king of 2 mile is a long term goal, at least a couple years out.

If measuring TIR at ogive under .004 is good.
I have always thought the chamber would work to straighten the case/bullet.