• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet seating depth universal ?

AnimalMother224

maybe steel go ding
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2014
east side
Is the bullet seating depth sensitivity from one specific bullet similar or the same to another? is it dependent on the rifles throat and chamber or dependent on what the bullet likes? I ask but I spent a considerable amount of time and consumables to figure out what powder/case/primer/bullet.seating depth of one recipe.

basically if my 140ELDMs like to be .050 off the lands will the 140VLDs (or hybrids for that matter) would like to sit there to?

1. Possibly. Each bullet shape and its interaction with the rifling will make it prefer a different seating depth. It's possible to have two that prefer very similar positions.
2. Yes.
3. Possible but not probable.

ETA: There are no shortcuts. You can load them the same, but they are different designs and only you can tell us if the result is acceptable.

Is the bullet seating depth sensitivity from one specific bullet similar or the same to another?

No.

Different bullets has different masses that effects that "sensitivity" as does the bearing surface that's in contact with the neck. Some may be very close in specs, then can use the same cartridge specs.

is it dependent on the rifles throat and chamber or dependent on what the bullet likes?

That sensitivity is not dependent on the rifle's chamber. It's very dependent on the volume within the case.

I ask but I spent a considerable amount of time and consumables to figure out what powder/case/primer/bullet.seating depth of one recipe.

Even if you try to keep everything the same, you likely will have to make changes due to the variation's one may have in the burn rate from lot to lot of your chosen powder (the size of your accuracy node and where your load is in that node can mitigate such variance).

basically if my 140ELDMs like to be .050 off the lands will the 140VLDs (or hybrids for that matter) would like to sit there to?

Probably not.

The jump any bullet likes is independent issue from the "seating depth sensitivity" issue, though of course changing the seating depth will change the jump distance. But the seating depth, with its changing of the volume, has a much bigger effect on performance. As the lands erodes, the jump increases, yet if you keep the seating depth the same, your performance can continue for quite some time even though the jump grows.

Erik cortina has a good video on this. I’ve learned quite a bit from his videos on you tube lately. He actually did 2 on it as I guess the first one wasn’t perceived as well as he had hoped lol. Called something like “stop chasing the lands”.

definitely recommend it.

Is the bullet seating depth sensitivity from one specific bullet similar or the same to another? is it dependent on the rifles throat and chamber or dependent on what the bullet likes? I ask but I spent a considerable amount of time and consumables to figure out what powder/case/primer/bullet.seating depth of one recipe.

No.

Erik C is coming onto my podcast very soon. We are going to do a real deep dive into reloading said:
that’s awesome. where do I find the info? Always looking for stuff to listen to at work!

thanks guys! I guess my understanding between bullet jump relationship and the rifle characteristics wasnt all that great. Great information and look forward to learning for Mr. Cortina and listening to the podcast. Admittedly it would be my first podcast I have ever listened to

Reactions: Adrock8000
Erik C is coming onto my podcast very soon. We are going to do a real deep dive into reloading, with seating depth being a big topic.

looking forward to this! is this live where you will entertain questions? Im not really sure how those work