• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Seating Trouble

pac-nor338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Brookings OR
Just got my RCBS 338 Lapua dies in yesterday. I went to seat a bullet and it left a ring towards the top of the bullet. I tryed adjusting it every witch way and it still leaves a ring. Anyone know What is wrong with the dies or am i just not doing something right

Re: Bullet Seating Trouble

I get this with both my Lee and Hornady dies. With mine it only leaves a slight mark...no indentation or distortion on the bullet at all (I can't feel it), although it is visible. Since I'm too cheap to buy a comparator, I keep my seating depth consistent by measuring from cartridge base to this mark instead measuring off the inconsistent bullet tips. Not perfect, and probably not as good as using a comparator, but it works well enough for me.

If your die is actually distorting the bullet beyond just cosmetically, I'd say get on the phone with RCBS. If its just a mark...I wouldn't worry.

Ya the marks are just cosmedic and they dont dig into the bullet. Now i am having a problem with Barnes X 250 gn Bullets getting stuck in the seater die.

Now don't take my advice exclusively on this one, but that sounds like you need a new seating stem....Or less neck tension (assuming you're neck sizing).

Wait for someone else to chime in on this issue and give a second opinion before taking my advice.

I had a seating die that left a ring on the bullet. I ended up coating a bullet tip with release agent and then put a dab of JB weld on the seater stem to make a perfect mold of the bullet tip.

Problem went away

Take the top out of the die and you will prob have to do some polishing to it. Just take a bullet and try it and you will feel it sticking a bit just polish it untill you dont feel that anymore should get rid of your problem.

Chuck a bullet in your cordless, swipe some fine lapping compound on it and
run it in the seater cup.

That is the best advice I've ever read on this issue. The making of a plug with epoxy is a pain!! LOL

Greg L.

I had a seater stem in a set of Hornady dies that would leave a ring around the bullet so I mixed up some MarineTex and created a custom seater stem matched to the bullet I was using. No more marks left on the bullet after that.

Brandon