• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet seating with arbor press

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
I currently use a Forster coax for sizing and bullet seating. I’ve been thinking about switching/getting a 21st-century arbor press with hydraulic gauge and LE Wilson dies for bullet seating or tighten up consistency. How do you know which gauge psi to buy? They have a 100, 160, and 200. Since I don’t have experience with these presses with gauge and this style of bullet seater I am not sure what psi to expect from the calibers I reload for. The calibers would be 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. I also currently anneal with annealez and use Redding type S bushing FL sizing dies with sac bushings and 21st century expander mandrel. Any guidance is appreciated

I currently use a Forster coax for sizing and bullet seating. I’ve been thinking about switching/getting a 21st-century arbor press with hydraulic gauge and LE Wilson dies for bullet seating or tighten up consistency. How do you know which gauge psi to buy? They have a 100, 160, and 200. Since I don’t have experience with these presses with gauge and this style of bullet seater I am not sure what psi to expect from the calibers I reload for. The calibers would be 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. I also currently anneal with annealez and use Redding type S bushing FL sizing dies with sac bushings and 21st century expander mandrel. Any guidance is appreciated

I have both an AMP Press and a K&M arbor press. If the 21st Century uses the linear force spring like the K&M where .001" deflection = 1 lb of force, then likely the 100 would be fine. I typically seat at less than 60lb for 30 cal and smaller. My 6 BRA is at like 30lb.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
Are you loading for a bolt rifle, a self-loader, or both?

Annealing, bushing neck-sizing, and mandrel expanding should all help to reduce seating force.

I have both an AMP Press and a K&M arbor press. If the 21st Century uses the linear force spring like the K&M where .001" deflection = 1 lb of force, then likely the 100 would be fine. I typically seat at less than 60lb for 30 cal and smaller. My 6 BRA is at like 30lb.

Was trying to figure out how to explain this without being confusing. This is good post.

On Hydropress, if I saw any seating force up near 100psi, it was a ton. However, 100 lbs on the amp press isn't too bad or overly uncommon (especially for virgin unprocessed brass). So, I never had an issue using the 100psi gauge on hydro press.

Are you loading for a bolt rifle, a self-loader, or both?

Annealing, bushing neck-sizing, and mandrel expanding should all help to reduce seating force.
Bolt gun only. I anneal with annealez, size with Redding type s bushing die with sac bushing and use 21 century expanding mandrel. Currently bullet seating with the Forster coax.

Reactions: sinister
the 200 . you'll be surprised how easy it is to push the 100 past its limit

Get the 160 or 200. You’ll quickly realize that using a standard FL die will produce seating pressure in excess of what the gauge can take, especially if you anneal the necks. That gauge will leak fluid if you exceed the limit.

If you load minimum neck tension rounds than the 100 psi is fine. My experiments showed that factory ammo is loaded to 60-70 PSI.