• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet seating !

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
i picked up rcbs kit @ cabela's and rcbs die's for .308.
when i seat the bullet into the case on the press it goes in very easy is that right?
i checked overall length and it is right on i try to pull the bullet out by hand and it wont come out.
so am i just being paranoid about it or is it the way it is supposed to be .
i am new to this so please don't slam me .

thanks

Re: bullet seating !

The force needed to seat a bullet should be less than 20% of what it took to size a fired case. As you load more rounds, your lever hand will become sensitive to the force needed to seat a bullet. If the necks are sized correctly and chamfered, the bullets should slide in with very little force. As your sensitivity increases, you will be able to feel those cases with tight or loose necks when seating the bullets. {keep the bearings on the press lubricated}

Being paranoid is a GOOD way to survive while reloading with all your fingers intact.

If you cant take the bullet out by hand its not gonna cause any problems. Its not gonna be in the group and i would set it aside for a first round unless they are all like that. I have even went as far as super gluing the bullets in because i was running so little neck tension that they would move on me. But thats what the gun liked....

Its not gonna cause you problems unless the bullets are falling well into the case neck. As long as the bearing surface is still in the neck your GTG.

If you're shooting from a magazine, a typical test for loaded rounds is to press the end of the bullet firmly against your bench. If there is no slippage, you're GTG. Another thing to keep an eye on is the length of your reserve rounds during firing.

you need to be careful here, and you should do some reading on topics like "measuring neck tension", "sizing dies and neck bushings", "seating depth", etc., etc..

Superglue, that's a new one on me. I would be very reluctant to use an adhesive to hold the projectile in the neck. You do not know what kind of pressures could be generated if you used too much glue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavSoldier3ACR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Superglue, that's a new one on me. I would be very reluctant to use an adhesive to hold the projectile in the neck. You do not know what kind of pressures could be generated if you used too much glue. </div></div>

No it didnt make a difference excessive might be bad i only used a drop. By the way the group i shot with that was 6.5" and a 97 score 10 shots at 1k. I was just trying to say as long as the stay in place it doesnt make a difference. Some guns shoot very well with little to no neck tension others want alot. If its something you worring about moving while your in the field then more then .003 from resize to loaded is what your gonna need.

I would like to suggest getting a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. Read all the stuff between the caliber specific chapters. It has more usable data that any 2 other books.

Read everything you can on the subject.

Remember that a reloading press is a series of mechanical levers designed to apply a significant amount of pressure to the right areas of the process. It will apply much more pressure than you can by hand so the bullet should seem easy to seat with the press but very difficult if not impossible to move by hand.

The process as you described seems to be very normal. +1 on the advice to read all you can but it may also help to find someone in your locale that has experience reloading.

I agree with finding a mentor or someone willing to share their experiences. I was fortunate to have friend that a good competitive benchrest shooter and learned alot spending time with him. The thing that I relized is that you are going to f'up and make mistakes...but learn from them. It takes time, patience, and a distinct plan.