• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet selection question

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have some 155gr Palma .308 bullets as well as some 168gr Sierra Matchkings. I will work up some loads for both to see what my rifle likes.
I just made a trade for some .308 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.
I figure that if my .308 doesn't like them my Swiss 7.5x55 might. Al;l they cost was some .277 bullets I had no use for.
My rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Will the 180s be too heavy, or just right?

Jim

Re: Bullet selection question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> or just right?</div></div>

Just right for what use? Will they stabilize- yes. The 155 is a better bullet for long range than the 168. The 180 NBT is decent for hunting. The only way to know is to shoot it and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just right for what use? Will they stabilize- yes. The 155 is a better bullet for long range than the 168. The 180 NBT is decent for hunting. The only way to know is to shoot it and see. </div></div>

Yep, and those 180's are really good in my k31. For some reason it is windage sensitive to different bullet weights, I think it's something to do with the stiffness and load paths in that action.

175-180 shoot great, 150's suck.

For 308 they will all work fine, and the 155's will suit you better at long range.

Thanks. I have no ideas what the twist rate is for my Rem 700. It has a 26" varmiont barrel.
From playing around with an AR15 I learned about bullet weight/ bearing surface length and the twist rate. A slow twist will stabilize lighter bullest better and a faster twist will stabilize a heavier bullet.
I read a very interesting article a while back about the newer bullets. The bullets today are much better than those only 15 years ago, and the lighter bullets having a longer bearing surface so they can be stabilized inn a barrel that would otherwise not work.
Since my dad has a very accurate load in .223 for his A-Bolt using Nosler BTs i thought these might be as good. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the weight. Mostmatch bullet weights I see are 168gr or 175gr. I didn't know if the 180s might be too heavy, or if the 155s too light.
I guess since the weight isn't too different, especially as a percentage of the total weight it really doesn't matter.

Jim

I have a 1:12 twist Rem .308 LTR 20" barrel. It shoots awesome with 168 gr. matchkings, but I can't get it to shoot any Noslers well. I have tried 125 gr BT, 165 grain BT, and 165 gr. Accubonds. All group over 1" at 100, yet the 168 gr matchkings are always pretty close to 1/2" I think this may be because the Noslers are just all long for their weight, and my rifle just doesn't stabilize them fully. I know this is a different barrel length than what you have, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't get too discouraged if you have trouble with Noslers. I'm sure Noslers may be fine in many rifles, just not in mine. They may work for you.