• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet shavings

cotntop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
tarheel,nc
When seating bullets I get copper shavings from undersized necks. The loads are 6.5 grendel semi-auto. Question is what options are best to eliminate this problem so I will not lose proper neck tension for the semi-auto. Using FL redding die. THANKS

Re: bullet shavings

Yes, the case necks are a little tight and I am worried about not enough tension for auto-loader.

Yes, case mouth is a little small. Just wondering what is easy remedy.

Crimping, instead of using neck tension.......

That said, properly chamfering the case mouth should do the trick regardless.

I doubt its anything to do with neck tension and everything to do with chamfering the case mouths. Try a VLD chamfer tool if the one you are using currently is still leaving a burr.

Switch to a boattail bullet and solve that problem.

Have you thought about your expander ball while fl resizing. Just bump it up a hair and you should be ok. Saying that, you need to take it in very small increments. Kind of hard to do, so figure it out just like I did. Trial & Error

The VLD chamfer tool is a good idea. Also, get a socket driver that has a screwdriver shank, pack it full of 0000steel wool and spin the driver while pushing the chamfered mouth into the spinning steel wool. That will polish the mouth and eliminate the shaving.