• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Bullet stability with suppressors

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
I’m currently experimenting with Berger 115 VLD Hunting’s in my 6XC. I have a mule deer hunt coming up and I feel the extra energy from a 115 vs 105 couldn’t hurt. But I have an 8-twist, 22” criterion barrel, so I know I’m on the edge of stability. Figure if I can get it to work here in WI, I should be gtg out west unless it’s fridgid.

Based on Berger’s stability calculator, For 70 degrees at 1400 feet elev, SG= 1.36. So marginally stable, but not far from fully stable. I shot a starter group tonight without the can, got 2,900 FPS. Gonna try to push them to 3,000 with RL-17. No sign of obvious keyholeing at 100, 0.5” three shot triangular group, good sign for a first group.

My question is, do you think I’m safe to put the suppressor on? It’s a 30 cal omega. I REALLY DO NOT want a baffle strike, but at the same time figure that the bullet would have to be getting extra cattywampus on exit to strike a 30 cal can. If I see no obvious keyholing, am I safe? Will suppressor make stability worse? How unstable do things need to be to cause problems with a can?

No problem to attach the can. Just check its alignment with the barrel, when fully screwed and looking from chamber side.

To check instability of bullets on the transition from barrel to open air its better to put a paper target closer to muzzle – 10 feet ahead instead of 100 yards.

You will be fine with a .5” grouping @ 100 yards and no keyhole.

You also have more tolerance on a can designed for .308” and shooting .243” through it.

Grouping tend to improve with the can but you should fine tune the load as barrel harmonics change

Reactions: Namekagon
Thats my instinct as well, that it should be fine. But figured I'd see what more experienced folks on here think about it first. Thanks.

I’m currently experimenting with Berger 115 VLD Hunting’s in my 6XC. I have a mule deer hunt coming up and I feel the extra energy from a 115 vs 105 couldn’t hurt. But I have an 8-twist, 22” criterion barrel, so I know I’m on the edge of stability. Figure if I can get it to work here in WI, I should be gtg out west unless it’s fridgid.

Based on Berger’s stability calculator, For 70 degrees at 1400 feet elev, SG= 1.36. So marginally stable, but not far from fully stable. I shot a starter group tonight without the can, got 2,900 FPS. Gonna try to push them to 3,000 with RL-17. No sign of obvious keyholeing at 100, 0.5” three shot triangular group, good sign for a first group.

My question is, do you think I’m safe to put the suppressor on? It’s a 30 cal omega. I REALLY DO NOT want a baffle strike, but at the same time figure that the bullet would have to be getting extra cattywampus on exit to strike a 30 cal can. If I see no obvious keyholing, am I safe? Will suppressor make stability worse? How unstable do things need to be to cause problems with a can?

1. Both are BTHP's and this is just my opinion, but it is based on having seen tens and tens of ballistic gel shots, and my personal experience with small and large game... but IMO the difference between a 115 BTHP (which, IIRC is closed up to effectively be a FMJ) and 105 BTHP is marginal next to the difference between a BTHP and ANY bullet with expansion initiation mechanics built in. Don't care if that's a lead-nose soft point, an EXPANDING hollow point, or a polymer tip. All of them will produce reliable, consistent expansion. BTHP's are a roll of the dice whether they will FMJ pencil through, pencil with a long neck before upsetting and tumbling/fragmenting, or whether they'll fragment on impact. You're banking on the thin jacket failing and that's about all you have. Reliable consistent expansion buys you error budget. YMMV, JMO, etc. etc.

2. Berger's stability calculator is pretty conservative, and "marginally stable" will work 99% of the time. Anything that is 1.2 SG or better, IMO, will work without issue. You may see some BC loss but it won't have stability/keyhole issues.

3. 100% wouldn't worry about running the can if the threads are good.

Thats very interesting. Just to be clear, I'm refering to Berger's 115 VLD and 105 VLD Hunting bullets, not the target bullets. So in reference to your point #1, you're saying you find BTHP-style hunting bullets inferior to something like an ELD-X that has a plastic tip to initiate expansion, right? Or did you think I was referring to BTHP target bullets vs something designed to expand, like a VLD Hunting? I assume from your "banking on thin jacket" statement that its the former.

Yes. Even "hunting" bthps are not as consistent in gel as soft points or ballistic tips.

I was thinking about 115 dtacs. The Bergers are probably better than Dtacs, but a 103 eldx or the like would be my pick.

A fmj through the vitals will kill anything. Like I said, though, some designs give you consistent reliable error budget That's a no brainer IMO to take advantage of.

ETA: Energy is not the end all be all for terminal. Expansion velocity and bullet design can trump energy. Just depends.