• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Style Choices

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
Please forgive me if this topic has been covered at length in a different thread.
I did a search with no success.

Due to shortages and whatnot, I have started to consider other projectiles other than the standard 175 grain SMK that I currently use.
This led me to ponder the differences between designs and more specifically why is the HPBT design predominate over other designs such as the rebated boat tail that have better BCs like the Lapua D46 & "Lock Base"?

Thank you for any enlightenment that you are able to offer.

Cheers!

Re: Bullet Style Choices

Try the 178 Amax if you like the 175 SMK bullet performance and weight.

155 Amax and especially 155 Scenar.

I assume you're shooting a 308, if you're shooting a 30-06 try the 208 Amax and RL-22

Unfortunately, the above options seem to be equally or more hard to find (forgive my grammer). Sorry I can't answer your question as to the aerodynamic advantage of a match hollow-point over other designs.

Try ordering online, most places still have 208 amax and 178 amax in stock. The HPBT match bullet by Hornady actually isn't as good of a performer as the Amax seems to be.

Also, if you're looking for paper or steel shooting and can spend the money look at Berger, they're in stock at Midway as of two days ago. Grafs generally has them in stock too.