• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet suddenly touching lands

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
I've got a tikka T3 22-250. I'm shooting 55gr Vmax bullets, seated at 2.095 to ogive. I've put at least a few hundred rounds down it since finding it's load, have used the same seating depth the whole time. I had about 100 rounds loaded up, all the same length, shot about 20 at the range to verify everything before taking it out coyote hunting. I go out yesterday and the first round I chamber goes in tight. I go to pull it out, the bullet gets jammed and pulls the case out by itself spilling powder inside the rifle.

I go home, play with it for a bit, checking everything is what its supposed to be. The cases are new and don't need to bump the shoulders, even verified with another new bag of brass. I put in a factory round, it was still tight, so I cleaned the piss out of it. Scrubbed it multiple times with CLR, lots of carbon came out. Soaked it in wipe out for a couple hours, gave it some passes with patches, then scrubbed with CLR again. Well I check it again, The factory round goes in, but my handloads still pull the bullets. Maybe there is a carbon ring even worse than I thought? Right now I have an oversized patch jammed into the chamber soaked in CLR. Should be covering the spot I need it to be.

Anyway, if this isn't, a large build up of carbon, what else could this be? I dont have a bore scope, but will probably be purchasing one now. Here's a picture of how it looks now. The ring at the ogive showed up after chambering. This bullet was pulled out also.
20201230_203327.jpg

Sounds like carbon ring.

Try plugging the bore and filling it with boretech eliminator and letting it sit before brushing/patching out. I usually use a foam ear plug or some play-doh to seal the end. It's easier if you can take the barrel out, but if not, just angle it down in a universal work holding device, with the muzzle over a trash can.

I have one of the cheap teslong borescopes I got off amazon when they first showed up on the hide. It's $45, and useful for checking that I've got everything clean.

Reactions: HMRamateur
Yep carbon ring. Assuming your measurements are correct and you are not seating longer, your lands certainly did not grow...

It will take a little work to clean it out....a bore scope will help eliminate the guess work.

ZY

Reactions: HMRamateur
I’m guessing here, but it sounds like you don’t clean your rifle. You might wanna start with a good cleaning. It doesn’t hurt it too much and might fix the problem for another couple of years. Some rifles are more forgiving than others so it might be sooner. It’s a good idea to clean before use in case a dirt dobber or other bug stopped up the bore. Definitely get a bore scope and take a peek. Good luck

I can't say I've cleaned specifically for carbon, but I definitely do clean my barrels. I don't shoot matches, and I'm lucky to shoot 200 rounds out of each bolt gun a year, with each bolt gun being cleaned at least every 2-3 trips to the range.

After a night of soaking with CLR, almost another hour of scrubbing this morning before going to the range, the bullet is still sticking. I will be buying a bore scope next because something is fucky here.