• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet tipping or pointing

Lrush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Alabama
At what ranges would this make a difference,or does it?I am thinking about doing it but I currently only shoot out to about 600 yards

If you're going to shoot 600 to 1000 yards it can make a difference. 300 yards and less it would be hard to justify.
I use a hoover (accuracyone) unit. i love it
Good info here Whidden Bullet Pointing Die System
you can get the whidden or hoover both will d a great job.

hope this helps
joe

I use a whidden and Ive yet to sit down and test accuracy of both setups. But I did pick up .3 mil to 1k with my .260 and 130's.

Tipping has a more profound effect on the smaller caliber bullets than the larger ones. I don't think I would bother doing it on anything 30 cal or larger.

Theoretically it improves the BC. As mentioned above useful beyond 600 yards. When preparing loads for LR I will meplat and point the bullets as well as sort by base to ogive. Kind of a PITA but eliminates a few variables. I shoot a lot of Berger's and their meplats can be sloppy and trimming and pointing cleans them up. When 140 gr. 6.5 Berger's became unavailable I switched to Scenars. Excellent bullets and although the meplats are fairly uniform I would point them to reduce the diameter of the HP.